Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crashing the Gate

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
I say, see if you can stay home and throw a party for your friends for $20.

I was thinking about where to go with the gang for New Years 2010, but I think I'll heed your advice instead. Besides, I can control/eliminate gatecrashers that way.

I enjoy your posts, Paisley - You're very pragmatic!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Insurance and permits can be staggering; a local neighborhood holds an annual festival with music, chili cook-off, etc. A couple years ago they expanded it to include artists scattered throughout the park. On the day of the event, some character from the city came around, out of nowhere, trying to get $100 from each person with a booth set up!? Needless to say, the festival committee didn't have that kind of money, and the guy in charge wasn't about to try hitting the vendors up for it. I'd never heard of such a thing, and have done my share of events both large and small in this town. You can imagine that that unexpected bit of bureaucratic red tape put an end to the arts and crafts aspect of the festival, which is a real shame. :(

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
In the late 1990s, it helped to kill most of the swing dance/lindy hop venues in Los Angeles. Dancers brought their own water bottles to the clubs and refused to shell out anything beyond the cover fee.

Worse yet, in Sf everyone was always trying to get on the guest list. I always told them to just pay the damn five bucks. salsa nights charge ten and sell tons of beer. The least you can do is support the band and the venue.

Granted, I didn't drink, and non drinkers shouldn't necessarily be forced to drink. But buy something, or get water and tip, or pay the gate at least.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
I've heard this is a current problem at NYC dance events.

It is actually more of an economic problem. Th dancer often don't drink, but you can't expect them to pay too much going out many nights a week. They would just stop coming. i don't necessarily blame them. But the lack of large crowds and heavy drinkers makes it hard to support live bands.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I am not above crashing a private party if the opportunity presented itself. there is always plenty of booze and food at those things, so one more is not a big deal. More freeloading than gate crashing. And once a friend and I snuck into the huge San Francisco Black and White Ball. And I have snuck booze into a bar once or twice.

But other than an occasional guess list, I will never begrudge a ticket to see a band or similar small event. And i will buy a drink or water anywhere where my purchase will help support the band or event or venue. As for charity events, I would never try to not pay.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
Worse yet, in Sf everyone was always trying to get on the guest list. I always told them to just pay the damn five bucks. salsa nights charge ten and sell tons of beer. The least you can do is support the band and the venue.

Granted, I didn't drink, and non drinkers shouldn't necessarily be forced to drink. But buy something, or get water and tip, or pay the gate at least.

Exactly. I know all about being on a tight budget, but either gather enough money to buy a drink or two, or stay home and dance.

Canadian

One of the Regulars
I used to be very active in a number of clubs in town, and also attended LDS dances with my girlfriend (who was LDS) where the costs were borne by the church. At most of these dances you were asked to pay 2 dollars and there was always a dress code of some kind. I worked with that girlfriend at a private salsa club in town (dry club, juice bar) where I was both the doorman and a VIP host (if you wanted a bottle of sparkling apple juice, you could pay the 15 dollars and we'd treat you like you'd ordered Cristal or DP).

I always noticed the number of people who'd try to get in for free. We had a small foyer or lobby at the club where you could check your coat (honour system, no CC girl) and pay the required 5 dollar cover. Of course, we got friends of my g/fs who would show up and ask to come in for free, and the owners were adamant that nobody come in without paying. If I wanted to dance, even I would pay. Same with Julie (my g/f of the time) and any of her friends knew they had to pay.

What would happen? People would actually swing dance on the streets outside the club and not come in. Then they'd use our bathrooms, water fountain and instead of coming in and ordering a smoothie or pop, they'd go to a nearby corner mart. It was both an amusement and a disapointment.

Eventually the club went out of business after being subsidized by the owners day job for many years.

There is another salsa club in town that doesn't charge a cover but serves alcohol. They have a huge turnout, and most patrons just order a Coke and maybe a beer. They're still doing salsa night as a Public Service, but they do it on an off-night and they don't invest nearly as much effort into it as we did. For them, it's a nice sideline to a profitable bar which is full 6/7 nights of the week.

For another example, I'd go to a punk club with another girlfriend (totally different world, but people thought my suits and fedoras were a little steampunk). At the break, they'd pass around a beer jug to cover the band's expenses and I was frequently the only person to put anything bigger than a dollar. People are cheap, and if they don't have to spend and still get something for free, they'll do so. Or they'll say, "I'm with so and so, and leave so and so on the hook.".

Argh. Sorry for the rant, but I've got a bit of experience with clubs and non-payers. I can see why the movie guys don't let you bring in food. I even got a book as a freebie (ironically) from my university which said as long as you don't use glass containers, theatres are bound by law, unless posted clearly, to permit you to enter with your own food. Like I want to watch Julie and Julia with a guy chowing down on a pizza next to me.

And I still feel bad about skipping the bottle service requirement to get in by staying for a late meal.

Thomas

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
I have always paid for every Cicada Club and Oviatt penthouse event that has had a cover charge.

And you're the one guy who should have carte blanche. [huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Canadian said:
Argh. Sorry for the rant, but I've got a bit of experience with clubs and non-payers. I can see why the movie guys don't let you bring in food. I even got a book as a freebie (ironically) from my university which said as long as you don't use glass containers, theatres are bound by law, unless posted clearly, to permit you to enter with your own food. Like I want to watch Julie and Julia with a guy chowing down on a pizza next to me.

That's not an exaggeration. When we first reopened we had people bringing in pizzas, Chinese food, you name it. The last straw was the night a couple of tourists brought in a complete take-out fish dinner and had it all spread out along the balcony rail. Give people an inch and they'll take a mile.

Our solution is that we provide a Food-Checking Service at the concession stand. Whenever I see anyone coming in the door with takeout bags I look them in the eye, point to our NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR BEVERAGES sign and encourage them to take advantage of the service. We store their food in the fridge, labeled with their ticket number, and they show their stub at the end of the show to collect it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
LizzieMaine said:
Whenever I see anyone coming in the door with takeout bags I look them in the eye, point to our NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR BEVERAGES sign and encourage them to take advantage of the service. We store their food in the fridge, labeled with their ticket number, and they show their stub at the end of the show to collect it.
You're the prettiest Nazi that I've ever seen.

:p
Code:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
As a kid (like little) we'd wear our baggy early-90s skater pants and put cans of soda and candybars from the drugstore in our pockets and go into the movie theater practically clanking.

That said, we didn't run 'round or make noise, and we cleaned up our trash, and this particular none-too-classy theatre that made us The Good Kids.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
That's not an exaggeration. When we first reopened we had people bringing in pizzas, Chinese food, you name it. The last straw was the night a couple of tourists brought in a complete take-out fish dinner and had it all spread out along the balcony rail. Give people an inch and they'll take a mile.

Our solution is that we provide a Food-Checking Service at the concession stand. Whenever I see anyone coming in the door with takeout bags I look them in the eye, point to our NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR BEVERAGES sign and encourage them to take advantage of the service. We store their food in the fridge, labeled with their ticket number, and they show their stub at the end of the show to collect it.

I sometimes buy popcorn or whatever at the theater, but I have been known to bring in a burrito or subway sandwhich if I didn't have time for dinner or whatever. I am not bringing them in to avoid buying snacks. I need real food. I wouldn't bring in something that will make a mess. But I can hardly be expected to have popcorn and jujubees for dinner. If the theater happens to have hot dogs, they are not anything I would ever care to eat.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I can sit through a movie without the need to eat, which is a good thing. Being vegetarian, the 'real' food on offer doesn't appeal to me, and nachos and popcorn are just too stodgy. The same for drinks; I don't drink soda or fizzy things (unless there's a ginger beer around, and I've yet to see a cinema offer that).
So, maybe I'll spring for a box of chocolate, but really, I prefer to have a real meal before or after, and enjoy the movie without the sound of my own chewing. Of course, I only go once or twice a year.....

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Back to vintage-scene people taking advantage of events -

It is a great shame when people think that gatecrashing an event that is being run by someone to provide them with a good time - and often it isn't expensive - is ok.

I've never begrudged paying money for a good dance or social event. It's what keeps these things going! If the people running it can't afford to keep running it and it closes, then we all lose out.

My partner and a friend want to start a club night up in London, and it is something to think about, keeping 'freeloaders' out. We've talked about having a very strict dress code - break it and you will not be allowed in, but I think a zero tolerance policy on anyone trying to get in for nothing would also have to be enforced. Hold onto your ticket? Show it on demand or show them the door? Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Food for thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff