Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crazy things that happen to you

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I walked into the local WalMart Supercenter yesterday and the Greeter yells at me after I pass- Stay Gold Pony Boy!! I guess it was either the bowling shirt i had on or my hairstyle. I didn't have on cuffed jeans or a switchblade. I'm guessing it must have been the new pomade I was using giving off to much sheen-LOL. Never got that comment before

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Years ago, while I was still in law school, my friends took me out for my Birthday. I had way too much to drink and somewhere during the night I ordered "A bucket of Rocks", which was 6 or 8 bottles of Rolling Rock served in a galvanized bucket. And the bucket was 'yours to keep'. I finished the beer and was toasted beyond belief. When it was time to leave for the night, I really couldn't even walk. My friend who was driving me home tried to carry me but was unsuccessful. So, he propped me up against a building, gave me my bucket and told me to wait while he ran to get the car, and he would be back to pick me up. It was the height of tourist season in Newport, and I must have looked like a hot mess. I was barely able to see but I remember hearing some sort of 'clanging' noise. By the time my buddy came around with t he car, I had about $4.38 in my bucket. I guess i looked like some wine-o or rummy looking for a handout.

scooter

Practically Family
Now that, Adcurium, is a great story. I have many stories from my military years, but I am not foolish enough to follow that. LOL

I have a friend who has called me Pony Boy since the day he met me!

I walked into the local WalMart Supercenter yesterday and the Greeter yells at me after I pass- Stay Gold Pony Boy!! I guess it was either the bowling shirt i had on or my hairstyle. I didn't have on cuffed jeans or a switchblade. I'm guessing it must have been the new pomade I was using giving off to much sheen-LOL. Never got that comment before

Hmm, interesting. I gave my friend, Ty a funny look the first time he said it to me. He replied "You know, from the outsiders? He's got that greaser hair like you got."

Alex

Practically Family
Hmm, interesting. I gave my friend, Ty a funny look the first time he said it to me. He replied "You know, from the outsiders? He's got that greaser hair like you got."

Yeah my girlfriend calls me that sometimes. Her favorite movie is The Outsiders and her dad used to be a greaser, so that's pretty cool. Some random kid I never knew also was like, "Hey can I call you Pony Boy cause of your greaser hair?" I was like sure why not.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I'm more 30s 40s as is my partner, but he regularly get's 'greasy 50s throwback!' from 'friends' ( it was a line on a TV show here, where the host had a vaguely retro quiff....only thing is he doesn't have a quiff!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pony Boy

It's a song, from the WWI era.

Pony.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Here's a story. I was walking my community college campus running an errand before my next class. At the time, I was wearing my Indy-styled Federation IV, a tan/khaki windbreaker jacket, dark blue jeans, and leather shoes (that I've worn to the point they faded from burgundy/brown to almost tan). I try not to dress to the point that I look too much like Indiana Jones on the average given day, but apparently some guys, probably drunk or jeering, shouted "Indiana Jones! Indiana Jones!" They all shouted and laughed at the same time, but the most I was able to do was shyly grin and walk off the scene. It was a strange feeling. I didn't know if I was being cheerfully identified as everyone's favorite fictional archaeologist, or being mocked for donning the similar hat. But forget that... I saw someone wearing what looked to be a replica of the Clint Eastwood Dollars Trilogy poncho, and I looked him in the eye and told him, "Hey, cool poncho," without a hint of sarcasm. I'm sure it takes a lot of nerve to go into a college campus wearing a traditional poncho, but it probably helped that he was actually Mexican (or looking of that heritage). At least Mexicans have a reason to wear a poncho, as in associating it as a part of their traditional dress or cultural identity...

But as for the greaser/Pony Boy comment, I got "Hey, cool hair man, you look like a greaser!" from someone. I did style my hair in a pompadour, and wear a leather jacket that day. I got a few other greaser comments too.

Last edited:

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I used to work for the Northern California Tennis Association in SF when I was 20. My parents had died, I was on my own and trying to do well in my first "big girl" job. I was typing a flyer to be sent out to all the big-monied members and sponsors for a Silent Auction. I made a typo. A major boo-boo.

Take a look at your keyboards now...notice the "S" and the "A" keys are right next to each other? Well, the flyer went out to all these well-to-do swells inviting them to a Silent Suction. The merits of suction v. auction for a fund-raiser were never discussed, as the Exec. Director scrambled to boot me out the door unceremoniously. Was I bummed that I was fired? Yeah. Did I laugh so hard about it that I cried? Oh yeah!!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
That is hysterical Lily.

I was in Iraq around 2003, and my friend in my platoon had a grandmother who sent him a DVD set of Spongebob Squarepants. Well, at first we shunned them, but eventually ended up watching and loving them all. Picture a bunch of soldiers crammed around a set in full gear cracking up over Spongebob.

But that's not the story. Bear with me its sort of lengthy...

In one episode, Spongebob and his friend Patrick are frustrating their neighbor Squidward using a box and their imagination. Squidward keeps hearing these amazing sounds from the box and cannot figure it out. Finally he caves and leaps in the box asking to be taken "to robot pirate island!" Spongebob and Patrick merely close their eyes and "imagine" but nothing happens for Squidawrd. He storms off and later hears sounds of lasers, robots and pirates that as he puts it "Now that sounds like Robot Pirate Island!?!"

So we've watched this episode and we're later on guard duty, during Ramadan, we have intelligence that a big wedding or celebration is taking place, lots of celebratory gunfire. Suddenly we hear that gunfire, and see fireworks and suddenly my buddy leans over to me and says "Now that sounds like robot pirate island." I laugh so hard I fall out of the guard tower. No injuries though.

Burton

One of the Regulars
I wouldnt even know where to start with this topic. I've been out on a tiny island in the Pacific for nearly two years and am headed to Antarctica to spend the winter in a couple of weeks. I guess I would need to have "crazy things" defined.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
About 10 or so years ago, I went down to my car to go to work just as I always had. I put the key in, turned it, and nothing. No sound, not a whir, click, nothing. I tried it a few times, checking my foot on the clutch. The car was lifeless. This car had never had a problem starting.

So I pulled out my cell phone to call my school. No power on the phone which was fully charged. I tried two or three times. Like the car, nothing.

I went upstairs, told my ex of the situation, and called the school from the house phone. Car trouble, blah, blah, blah. My ex said just calm down, and try the car again.

I went downstairs, put the key in, and turned it. The car starts right up, as always. Pulled out the phone. Full power. I was like, what the?

I put the radio on, tuned in to the news station I always listen to. Traffic and weather came on. There was just an accident on the route I usually take to school.

You know, I dont really know whats what, but I like to think that I was somehow delayed enough by the car and the phone, having to go upstairs to make the call, cool off, and be told to just try it again, to not be at that time and place.

Anyway, to me it was crazy.

When I was 16, I had this 60 Bel-Air. The car was awesome and gave me little issues. I was out running errands for my dad one day and after leaving the cop shop, I go to start the car, nothing. I've got the hood up, adjusting spark plug wires, spraying Gumout down the carb, etc, etc. Nothing will work. I'm kicking the bumper and cussing and now people are coming out of their houses. Finally, I'm out of ideas and I go to call my pa. I'm still trying to crank it over as the phone's ringing, no answer. I try a couple more times, while still trying to start the car. Finally, just as my dad answers, the car fires up. It knew not to mess with my old man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw