Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cream Double Breasted 1920s 'Palm Beach' suit ...

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
palmbeach.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-192...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item2c65935216

If there are any of you out there with a 31 inch waist and 38 inch chest, this might be the suit for you.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I know your dilemma. I do love summer resort dress wear: brown and white spectators, panama hats, cream jackets, bright colored accessories (ties, pocket squares, a daring shirt), etc.

But it can be hard to do in a modern setting. Especially since I am part Peurto Rican. I have get the combination right otherwise I can look like a stock character from a film: either unsuccesful cabana gigalo or a Colombian drug lord's flunkie.

I think I'm doing this:
images

While everyone sees:
Saturday-Night-Fever_John-Travolta_white-suit-train-smoking.bmp-1.jpg

sknight

New in Town
I know your dilemma. I do love summer resort dress wear: brown and white spectators, panama hats, cream jackets, bright colored accessories (ties, pocket squares, a daring shirt), etc.

But it can be hard to do in a modern setting. Especially since I am part Peurto Rican. I have get the combination right otherwise I can look like a stock character from a film: either unsuccesful cabana gigalo or a Colombian drug lord's flunkie.

I think I'm doing this:
images

While everyone sees:
Saturday-Night-Fever_John-Travolta_white-suit-train-smoking.bmp-1.jpg

Yep, the Travolta pic ruined it for me. The suit's a little small for me anyway.

Edward

Bartender
Eh, I stopped caring what the mundanes think a long time ago. The only thing that worries me around a white suit is a red wine.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I think it's a suit to save for the right event, in the perfect place - then you can get away with it. A summer garden party, an outdoor wedding .... and so on. Not a suit for everyday in the city.

If anyone ever invites me to a party on a yacht - I know I will want to be wearing that suit.

It's the pure-whiteness of the typical palm beach suit that jars. With even a little hint of ecru, these would be as wearable as any other linen-coloured linen suit. I have considered dyeing one of mine, but don't have the guts to try.

I own two, and only wear them as separates. I think single breasted is more versatile than double. Less uniformy. Less Ice Cream Salesman.

bk

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I own two, and only wear them as separates. I think single breasted is more versatile than double. Less uniformy. Less Ice Cream Salesman.

That is a good point. I used to have a DB seersucker suit but with light brown instead of blue contrasting stripes. The trousers and jacket as separates were great, but together... er.. not so good.

Edward

Bartender
Seats in the metro are also a constant cause for worries, at least here in Berlin.

Yes, I don't tend to dit down on the tube much in light hued anything... and I stick to machine washable in white trousers. ;)

It's the pure-whiteness of the typical palm beach suit that jars. With even a little hint of ecru, these would be as wearable as any other linen-coloured linen suit. I have considered dyeing one of mine, but don't have the guts to try.

bk

I think it'd the very full on nature of the DB jacket in that look that appeals to me.... but then my 'go to' mental image for a suit like this is Leopold Bloom (see courtroom sequence, 2005 musical version of The Producers) - sb, if memory serves, but I think of that rather than any of the negatives above. Oddly, I think I'd actually be more likely to think twice about seersucker all over than white, at least in a hue other than blue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925