Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cream wool flannel suit (British 1930s?)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here is the suit worn by its new owner, Fedora Lounger Barmey:

Alex3_zps46df0257.jpg

Alex2_zps806064e9.jpg

Alex4_zpsa9dd7250.jpg

Alex1_zpsc597486a.jpg

We searched the suit for any clues. Despite the German made trouser buckles, Barmey thinks it is most likely British made and noted that there was a high proportion of well executed hand stitching in the suit. Although it is difficult to estimate, he thinks it is probably from the 1920s or 1930s. We can confirm that the curious stitching around the buttons is there because a new panel was inserted in order for the button stance to be lowered about an inch and a half. It appears to have been very well done.

A splendid, and very rare suit, and I'm glad it has gone to a good home.

P.S. photos were taken at Barmey's workplace on Savile Row.

lordwinters

Familiar Face
Funny thing about those buckles. I quite recently bought my first properly vintage suit, a beatiful dead stock late 1940's Swedish three piece. And the vest uses a buckle pretty much identical to the one on this suit. I'll try to get pics up of it.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the trouser width would be unusually narrow for a 30s suit. they would suggest pre-bag (early 20s) or post-bag (late 50s).
although i'm sure Barmey would love it to be a 20s suit, i'm inclined (mainly due to the well padded shoulders) to think it's a post bagger. ;)

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Taking into account the finding that the buttoning has been skillfully lowered, I assume that this was a 1930s suit (not earlier due to shoulders) that has been modified later on.

The probably once wide trousers could have been taken in during the 50s.

Since narrowed down trousers of 30-40s suits are commonplace, I consider this a quite likely possibility.

Closely inspecting the trouser seams for indications of alterations would be a good thing.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Barmey, i'm curious about the inserted piece on the front; how high does it go behind the lapel ?
and is there a similar patched area on the reverse (the facing) ?

The area on the reverse is the original fabric: it includes the original buttonholes which have been stitched closed.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
what a lot of trouble to go to just to lower the buttons an inch and a half !... but as it's conclusive then Fastuni's suggestion that it's probably a 30s-40s suit with narrowed trousers seems the most likely.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
what a lot of trouble to go to just to lower the buttons an inch and a half !... but as it's conclusive then Fastuni's suggestion that it's probably a 30s-40s suit with narrowed trousers seems the most likely.

I'm not sure about the trousers having been narrowed (although barmey should be able to answer than for us).
Looking at the picture of Lacoste and his pals in the 1930s, their tennis suits don't have wide trousers:
Jacques-Brugnon-Henri-Cochet-Rene-Lacoste-and-Jean-Borotra-in-1927-Sized.jpg

Edward

Bartender
It puts me very much in mind of the cut of a lot of the Old Town suits, which I believe are mostly late 20s / early 30s. Of course, if it was originally bespoke (lack of labelling plus hand stitching is what puts me in mind of this), there's a fair chance that it wouldn't conform to the vagariesof fashion at time of construction...

GBR

One of the Regulars
Do you have any more photographs of the inside of the coat or the trousers on (back and front) but without the coat? They might help point to its age/origin.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
These are absolutely no markings inside the suit. Nor was there anything that immediately said it was of foreign make (apart form the German buckles on the trousers). 'Barmey' will be answer more accurately about the style of the interior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic