Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creasing the sleave

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Originally poste by Wild Root.
Canadave said:
Anyone have a good picture of a sleeve crease?

David

Take a look at the sleave on the guy with the blue suit. That's a sleave crease!

model1066ad.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, what's the deal on sleeve creasing? I have a handful of coats with creased sleeves and was wondering how widespread this practice was.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Interesting... I've never noticed that before. I am going to be on the look for this in the future.
You know, Prince Charles is a much better dresser than he gets credit for. In the UK, he is considered "stodgy," but to these American eyes, he is classically apparelled and ocassionally dapper.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
The Royal Crease

Pip pip there ole boys!

1. Looks llike HRH valet has applied a bit of the steam to the seam.

2. Charles is often shown in mens fashion books as a pilar of the
threads, IMO somehow his relative the late Duke of Windsor was the
real royal style maven for my $$$. Chas. dress looks forced while
the Dukes always looked natural & unique.

Peter ;)

PS In the fashion ad Mr. Peaked Lapel
aslo appears to be on the crease, much
to the satisfaction of the adjacent
Miss Slick Chick!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I always get all of my suit coat sleeves pressed snce I saw this style on TV.

The launderette now know to do it but they were really sceptical when I told them to do it at first!

:cheers1:

bgbdesign

New in Town
I have seen countless vintage suits with a crease pressed into the sleeve- as long as they were not recently cleaned. I've also seen a lot of pre-war and wartime military uniforms pressed the same way. I like it- of course anything old-style is usually something I like!
all the best,
bg

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Creased Sleeves?

Hello. I recently picked up a double-breasted wool overcoat. The sleeves are creased right down the length of the arms.
I attributed this to how the coat was stored, but I recently read articles that appeared to suggest that this is a valid way to wear an overcoat and was at some period a point of fashion.
I really don't know a thing about clothes and haven't had much luck looking into this. Could someone please clarify this for me?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The PoW wears his jackets with a crease, presumably a carryover from his military service. Don't know about overcoats, though.

ac-prince-charles-william.jpg

Prince20Charles202.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I in general don't like creases on sleeves, and don't care much about creases on trouser legs.

It's one of those fashion features, or options at least, that are the sole result of technical difficulties, or rather laziness. I iron my shirts creaseless, and have actually been asked about the laundry shop, because those who will iron them like that are impossible to find.

An effect of creases certainly is that people know it's been ironed without having to look closely if it's crinkled. Well.

If you like the look, that's another thing - chacun ?† son gout!

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I in general don't like creases on sleeves, and don't care much about creases on trouser legs.

It's one of those fashion features, or options at least, that are the sole result of technical difficulties, or rather laziness. I iron my shirts creaseless, and have actually been asked about the laundry shop, because those who will iron them like that are impossible to find.

An effect of creases certainly is that people know it's been ironed without having to look closely if it's crinkled. Well.

If you like the look, that's another thing - chacun ?† son gout!

Just a matter of taste... a crease can't be too deep to me. I'm happiest when the crease on my pants is so great that it can cut a loaf of bread. I'll re-iron suit pants inbetween dry cleanings, not to get out wrinkles, just to bolster creases.

That said, I only crease my double breasted jacket sleaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot