Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Credo of the new Vintage Lady

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
How about this one.... an NVL always has a little sewing kit with her, so when her brassiere hook breaks, she can gracefully excuse herself to the ladies' room and fix it in five minutes flat.

I don't know where I would be without my wee little sewing kit, and yes, this actually happened to me. I was disgustingly pleased with myself because I even had matching thread.... lol

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Brooksie said:
Here is my contribution:

#1. A new vintage lady never goes out in public in pajamas and slippers! :eek:

#2. When giving a handshake, your hand should be firm (no wet noodle handshakes!) and you should not squeeze to hard either! You want to exude confidence with your handshake. You would be surprised at how many people do not know how to shake hands appropriately... I have gotten way to many wet noodle handshakes and to me this just says; "no confidence".

Brooksie

THANK YOU!!!! I was definitely going to mention the pjs. I work at the mall and see it all the time...it's deplorable.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
NoirDame said:
THANK YOU!!!! I was definitely going to mention the pjs. I work at the mall and see it all the time...it's deplorable.

Ackkk, girls at my high school used to come to school in their pajamas all the time! Eeek.

I acknowledge that a lady needs a comfy outfit every now and then (I need one at least once a month...), but pajamas are a completely different story!

Alternatives:
Loose slacks
Jeans (not too tight, no muffin tops, and cuffed or hemmed accordingly)
Cotton shirtdress
Fitted cotton shirts
etc...

Laraquan

Familiar Face
Awww! But pyjama school party! Super-casual day! We used to do this sometimes at my old school to raise money. It was kinda goofy seeing everyone in their pyjames. :p

Brooksie

One Too Many
Laraquan said:
Awww! But pyjama school party! Super-casual day! We used to do this sometimes at my old school to raise money. It was kinda goofy seeing everyone in their pyjames. :p

Now that is fun, I did that to in high school, I belonged to a club and we all had to show up (in our pyjamas) at the Portland International airport and go on a scavanger hunt. There was probably about 30 girls there all in our pj's. Then the school press showed up:eek: and started taking pics which ended up in the year book!:rage:

But what is not cool: To have every day people sloshing around in there pyjamas and slippers. When I lived in a small town in Texas I used to see women all the time running to the store in there pj's and slippers or to a fast food place (just out and about in public) They would strut around like they thought they looked sexy but I would be embarresed to be seen out in public in my jams.

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Fabulous Thread!! I am currently reading Emily Post's Blue Book of Social Etiquette, Copyright 1954. After reading this post I think we can write our own book lol

So here is mine:

1. A NVL does not hesitate to respect her husband, publicly as well as privately. She allows him to be the head of the marriage and home because she knows that the more respect is given the more love is received. By showing him respect he will pride himself beyond measure to be blessed with such a lady and in turn your cup will be overflowing :D A NVL knows that this is not a sign of weakness but of femininity and selflessness ;)

2. A NVL is aware of her limits and knows when it is time to take her leave. She departs a social outing/gathering with elegance and grace.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
cassylynn said:
1. A NVL does not hesitate to respect her husband, publicly as well as privately. She allows him to be the head of the marriage and home because she knows that the more respect is given the more love is received. By showing him respect he will pride himself beyond measure to be blessed with such a lady and in turn your cup will be overflowing :D A NVL knows that this is not a sign of weakness but of femininity and selflessness ;)

I agree about respect. That should be fundamental in all relationships, in all stages in all locations by both parties. However, deferring to the husband works for some relationships, but not all. Personalities are different, and what may work for one couple may not work for the next. Some people are natural leaders, others are great followers.

I respect my husband, that is abundantly clear. He never doubts that I value him. He has qualities that I don't have, he makes up for my shortcomings. I don't know what I would do without him, he balances me. But he also feels the same way about me.

My head is the more logical, thoughtful, insightful, and far-seeing. In many ways, it makes the most sense for me to be the "head" of the marriage. We always discuss thoroughly all decisions, he identifies issues that I may not see, but I often take the lead. I am the planner of the two of us. If things were left to my hubby, we would fly by the seat of our pants, daily. That isn't the best way to end up with a stable life, which he wants, but isn't the best at creating.

I am no less feminine because I take charge, just as he is no less masculine. We both know what each others' strengths and weaknesses are, we are aware of our own shortcomings, and we compliment each other well.

Yes, respect should be given freely, by both people. Yes, when respect and love is given, it is more likely to be reciprocated and multiplied. But for either party to defer out of a sense of obligation instead of what works the best, doesn't make sense.

I don't want my husband to roll over for me in certain areas, just because I am a woman, and that area was traditionally a woman's area. Nor will I sit meekly by while he stumbles uncertainly and un-confidantly in tasks that I am the stronger in, just because tradition dictates I should.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Again, Goldleaf says it the best! And I totally agree with you.

My husband would probably divorce me if I meekly sat back and watched him make all the decisions. He likes a strong, confident woman who's not afraid to tell him that what he's doing might not be so right. And he doesn't hesitate to do the same for me. We both support each other equally and we like it that way.

If letting the man take charge works for others, than that's great! I have no problem with that if it works for you! But for me -- I don't have it in me to sit back and watch if I don't agree with something. And in the case of my relationship, that gets me more love and respect.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Part of being able to -chose- to be this 'New Vintage Lady'.....is the ability to benefit from the things our Mothers and Grandmothers fought for.

We get to -choose- to have careers or not.....as -we- decide.

So my contribution to this "credo" business....is that...

"The New Vintage Lady does not have rules. She does not impose her choices on others, despite how much sense they make to her, they might not be 'right' for anyone else"

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Amy Jeanne said:
:But for me -- I don't have it in me to sit back and watch if I don't agree with something. And in the case of my relationship, that gets me more love and respect.

:D Mine too, Amy Jeanne! My husband jokes with me all the time "Gosh, I really wish you had a strong opinion on just one issue, once in a while, and would speak your mind. I never know what you think!" lol

And Miss Neecerie, well said. You should have a career as a diplomat! Well, I guess your sort of do, as a Bartender :)

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
cassylynn said:
I apologize if I offended anyone, so I humbly withdraw my statement :eek:

You didn't offend anyone! This is the place to voice your thoughts and opinions! Which is what Amy and I did in return :) I wasn't upset, just pointing out the opposite side of the coin. :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
cassylynn said:
A NVL knows that this is not a sign of weakness but of femininity and selflessness ;)

And that puts me to mind of one of my own favorite mottos: Femininity, however one chooses it express it, is never to be confused with weakness. Modern culture may insist on confusing the two, but a NVL knows better.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
And that puts me to mind of one of my own favorite mottos: Femininity, however one chooses it express it, is never to be confused with weakness. Modern culture may insist on confusing the two, but a NVL knows better.

Well said, Lizzie!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:

I agree! Very well put!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
cassylynn said:
I apologize if I offended anyone, so I humbly withdraw my statement :eek:

I'm not offended, either :) I just stated that that type of set-up wouldn't work in my marriage, but if it works in yours, then that's super!

My rule is: there are no rules! You do what's best for you!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters