Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Credo of the new Vintage Lady

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
BettyValentine said:
The NVL understands that what works for her does not necessarily work for everyone else, and she keeps this fact always top-of-mind.

She can and should have and express opinions about sports, weather, politics, sex, and religion, but she never gives unsolicited advice.

She is not an idle gossip, and she'd sooner sit on a hat pin than be overheard criticizing another person's dress, appearance, or behavior.

And she doesn't participate in any trend blindly, even this one.

xoxo,
BV

:eusa_clap

Brava!

GOK

One Too Many
The NVL does not:

have chipped nail polish
apply her lipstick at the table
scowl when complimented
get inebriated
cry in public (although in the cinema or theatre it's acceptable if subtle!)
lie back and think of England (or America!)
boast, brag or otherwise make others feel uncomfortable
wear shoes or clothing in need of repair
own washed-grey lingerie
expose her pregnant belly in public
wear clothes that give her muffin-top, flobble-wobble or slab-flab
go out in winter in a semi naked state
lay it all on a plate
not feel guilty about staying at home to raise her family
need to tie a ribbon in her hair when her husband returns home from work!

The NVL does:

understand Windows
dress impeccably
understand that it is important to be stylish, not fashionable
use heated rollers and tongs (but also cold rollers if time permits)
make the first move
get on top!
smile when complimented
put people at their ease
wear coat, hat, gloves and scarf in winter....or even summer if the occasion calls for it
have matching shoes, hat and handbag (I really need a forest green bag!)
know how to be alluring
drive to the supermarket, work etc.
play video games with her children and partner...and lets them win!
dress for the occasion

I'm sure there are loads more I could think of! :D

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I have nothing to contribute (yet!) but I just wanted to say I love this thread! Wish we could have a column in Classic Style with additions to the list each month.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
A NVL never confuses casual comfort with being a mess.

A NVL knows athleticism can be as classic as Katherine Hepburn.

A NVL knows its not how much you spend on an outfit, its how put together you look in it.

Just my two cents,
Viola

Mojito

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
If I'm in a situation where I'm having a difference of opinion with a guy, and the situation threatens to get heated, I've learned the best strategy is to actually *lower* my voice as he raises his -- throws him off balance every time, and keeps me in control of the argument. A very effective technique that every NVL ought to know!
Absolutely - and this is a very good public speaking technique as well with a hostile audience. In my dim, dark past I used to do quite a bit of speaking at conferences where the delegates on the floor could be quite loud, aggressive and intimidatory towards speakers. If you said something they disagreed with, a tidal wave of abuse would roar up - hisses, cat calls, boos, screamed insults. The trick was not to try to out shout them. Nor was it to be silent and wait for them to settle down (they were trying to silence the speaker in the first place, so their time would elapse and they had to yield the floor). The trick was to continue speaking in a measured tone, and even drop it down a touch. The rowdy crowd would fall silent, as they wanted to hear what you were saying (so they could vehemently disagree with it).

I'm glad those days are behind me - when I do any public speaking now, it's at pleasant, constructive conferences!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
BettyValentine said:
She is not an idle gossip, and she'd sooner sit on a hat pin than be overheard criticizing another person's dress, appearance, or behavior.

BV

I love that you added this:eusa_clap I hear way too much malicious gossip, and it makes me want to forget my manners and say something equally rude to the perpetrators, but settle for " I like that person, they're really nice" when it applies.

In my opinion, Miss Manners' Guide To Excrutiatingly Correct Behavior should be standard reading in school. My volunteer school did an activity like that, where the parents, students and teachers learned basic ettiquette at a school luncheon. I missed it but I heard it was really good, and the children enjoyed it:)

Brooksie

One Too Many
Here is my contribution:

#1. A new vintage lady never goes out in public in pajamas and slippers! :eek:

#2. When giving a handshake, your hand should be firm (no wet noodle handshakes!) and you should not squeeze to hard either! You want to exude confidence with your handshake. You would be surprised at how many people do not know how to shake hands appropriately... I have gotten way to many wet noodle handshakes and to me this just says; "no confidence".

Brooksie

Naama

Practically Family
Now I feel bad, because I'm one of these loud women.......... I never realized this though [huh]

A NVL should only follow her own rules!

*gg*

Naama

pretty faythe

One Too Many
A New Vintage Lady knows when a mechanic is trying to take advantage of her being a female, trying to charge her $100, and doesn't let them. She fixes the $15 problem herself with her lovely manucured hands.

ScarlettTurner

New in Town
I want to play......

Contributions from a newbie: (but loving this board)

A NVL is aware that fluttering her well-mascared lashes can be more persuasive than a debate.

A NVL always has correct change, in a handy changepurse.

A NVL carries her compact, lipstick, AND a feminine hanky!

A NVL realizes that covering UP, being well-groomed, and feminine, is far more alluring than showing all the goods!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
A NVL should let her bright smile be her calling card! You never know who needs their day brightened.

(you'd be surprised how many times the check-out ladies at the grocery store tell me that mine is the first smile they've see all day)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
kamikat said:
A NVL should let her bright smile be her calling card! You never know who needs their day brightened.

(you'd be surprised how many times the check-out ladies at the grocery store tell me that mine is the first smile they've see all day)

Ooh, I completely agree with this! It's amazing how much eye contact and even a tiny smile will open people up to you.

These points are so inspiring! I don't really have any more to add that haven't yet been said, but I'm currently making my own inventory of what I need to do more of, what I should start doing, and what I'm already great at. I think it's very healthy to do that every now and then, as long as you don't pick at your faults to the point where it gets you down.

ShortClara

One Too Many
I love, Love, LOVE this thread!

A NVL commands respect not by demanding it, but by conducting herself in such a way that it is given, naturally.

A NVL knows she is worth time, energy and love from a good and respectful man (or woman, a NVL does not discriminate!), and never settles for less.

A NVL keeps a stiff upper lip.

A NVL knows you get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff