Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creed of the more mature lady....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago, when I was turning 36 or 37, I went to a more elegant look. I really didn't want to turn into that middle-aged woman who was trying hard to look 25. With that said, I think long hair and vivid colors can look great on the less-young. It's much better than the menopausal helmet (I love that term) and the frumpy, shlumpy mom jeans and sweatshirts.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
*I am keeping my younger boyfriend!
*I will wear bright red lipstick every day, if feel like it!
*I will eat something at least once a day without reading the calorie/fat/carb count on it!!!!!!!!
*I will stop comparing myself to every woman that is taller, thinner, cuter, or younger than me! (That being said, for reasons of my own sanity, I will STOP going bathing suit shopping with my sister. No sense in courting depression...):D

Foofoogal

Banned
I actually think one has more time to primp once the kiddos are gone. I love color and I believe there is a balance between dressing too young and too old.
I know a lady in her 70s who is always dressed better than anyone else I know. She dresses young but just right.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I wear jeans, comfortable shoes and have a helmet haircut.

jeansshoes.jpg

helmet.jpg

:D

Caledonia

Practically Family
I agree! That is most definitely not a menopausal helmet haircut. That is sassy! I most definitely also am not posting mine. :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss Crisplock said:
Thats cute. Darlin' you do NOT have menopausal helmet hair.

Really. Please Lizzie Maine, can you post a picture of the dreaded helmet?

I would, but my mother would hunt me down and kill me. But you know one when you see one -- clipped close in the back and on the sides, pointy sideburns, maybe poofy bangs in the front for that stylish 80's mall gal cachet. Around here it's a law -- turn 40, get that haircut. And from there you're just a short toss from drugstore reading glasses hanging around your neck on a beaded chain and an appliqued puppy-dog sweatshirt.

Over my dead body, I says.

And no, PSG, you most definately do not have the dreaded helmet.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
I'm another in the where the heck did my 30s come from category. I was OK when I turned 30, now I recently turned 34 and have been questioning so many of the things everyone has been talking about here.

So...

--I will wear saddle shoes
--I will wear flowers in my hair...and yes, ribbons and bows too if I so desire!
--I will NOT EVER dress like a soccer mom (When, God willing, I become a mom)
--I will be a pin-up MILF for as long as I can!

Willys Gal

New in Town
Hi Ladies,
I remember when I was around 35 and felt like I was aging. I had no idea what would happen after that???
I'm here to lovingly let you know that life gets better:eusa_clap !!!!! Sure, there are a few physical changes but they are not dramatic. I love myself more now at 45 (46 in June) then I ever did before.
So wear what you want! Pose how you want! Be sexy!!! Be playful!!! There is a special quality that older women have when they mix confidence with sexuality.
I say GRRRRRRRRRRR BABY GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Stay free in what you love despite anyones judgements!!!! We are all the same inside and enjoy freedom to express what we love!!!! And NEVER compare yourself to anyone else!

Wendy

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Rule 1: No pantsuits/church-lady suits.
Rule 2: No tracksuits/sportswear.
Rule 3: No tailored/conservative clothes or hairstyles.
Rule 4: Be eccentric/bohemian/unique--do not blend in.
Rule 5: Being feminine is not a crime.
Rule 6: Don't wear dumpy shoes.
Rule 7: Don't wear a neutral lip.
Rule 8: Don't be afraid to screw around with your hair (etc) (even if you mess it up--taking chances keeps your spirit young).

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
I wear jeans, comfortable shoes and have a helmet haircut.
jeansshoes.jpg

:D

Not only is that NOT a helmet haircut (it's too cute, I had almost the same haircut when I was 24), those jeans are adorable! And I doubt if there's many of us who don't wear comforable shoes on occassion. In fact, I wore shoes just like those all through my 20's!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
swingtimegal said:
Not only is that NOT a helmet haircut (it's too cute, I had almost the same haircut when I was 24), those jeans are adorable! And I doubt if there's many of us who don't wear comforable shoes on occassion. In fact, I wore shoes just like those all through my 20's!

Awah thank you. :)

HeyMambo

New in Town
Great thread!

Applause all around, ladies! These are all good thoughts...

I think if something suits you, rock it. As long as you're wearing the look and not the other way around, that's all that matters. I'm 47, and got back into vintage because I was boredboredbored with my clothes, my hair and everything and darn if the vintage stuff didn't look good on the old gal! ;) It's also my own little protest against "shlump culture". So I'm sticking with it. I personally don't do bows and stuff, only because it doesn't work on me, not because of any bias against it...I just look and feel better in a more tailored, elegant style. I love red lips, heels (maybe not every day, but usually), and pencil skirts. I have longish hair, and that's not going to change.

I should also mention, my husband is over the moon about all this. Over. The. Moon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo