Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Crisis, what Crisis?"

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
thinking i should do the "Right" thing and tighten my belt due to the looming finnancial storm clouds gathering , I tried to do the right thing yesterday.

I had to travel to Fremantle, a nearby town to change my Library books and order a coconut, at the green grocer. There was a display of Vintage Citroen light 15's from the 40's to ogle too. Thinking I could save money i purchased a 3rd class train ticket, then thinking i didn't realy want to make eye contact with any 3rd class type people I had to by some reading material, so i bought "Tatler" "Horse and Hound" and "Razzle" ( for the articles), but when it came to the crunch i just couldn't go through with it, sitting in a crowded carriage, I mean, so I jumped into an empty 1st class compartemente. Imagine the shame when on arrival at Old Fremantle Town my ticket was checked and I had to pay the full 1st class fare, and 3rd Class fare , adding the cost of the periodicals, which I had subsciptions to anyway, and were sitting on the grande Rhulman table in the Library at "Baumont Court"

Its all just false ecconomy when one thinks about it "Carry on as usual, say I"lol

What are you doing to save money?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I presciently bought a co-op in the Bronx in April. I thereby reduced my monthly housing costs by 60%, compared to my little place in Brooklyn. I must admit, I really miss all the wonderful amenities Brooklyn has to offer, but on the first day of every month I congratulate myself.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I've started bringing coffee made at home with me to cut out stops at expensive cafes. I've also started going home for lunch instead of eating out.
Its made a little bit of a difference and I don't miss the stuff really.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The absolute worst thing that anyone can do, in economic hard times, or even not-so-hard times is to refuse to part with money out of fear and/or greed.
Most especially those that are still quite well off in spite of losing maybe a few extra million to speculation. :rolleyes: Money should flow sort of like water, this is what makes the whole system work. Sure, most people will have to adjust in order to afford the basics, but hoarding money will only make the situation worse for everyone.
The entire economy was over-inflated smoke and mirrors anyway, and the bubble simply had to burst eventually. It will all readjust eventually. I think a lot of people could see it coming.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
thinking i should do the "Right" thing and tighten my belt due to the looming finnancial storm clouds gathering , I tried to do the right thing yesterday.

I had to travel to Fremantle, a nearby town to change my Library books and order a coconut, at the green grocer. There was a display of Vintage Citroen light 15's from the 40's to ogle too. Thinking I could save money i purchased a 3rd class train ticket, then thinking i didn't realy want to make eye contact with any 3rd class type people I had to by some reading material, so i bought "Tatler" "Horse and Hound" and "Razzle" ( for the articles), but when it came to the crunch i just couldn't go through with it, sitting in a crowded carriage, I mean, so I jumped into an empty 1st class compartemente. Imagine the shame when on arrival at Old Fremantle Town my ticket was checked and I had to pay the full 1st class fare, and 3rd Class fare , adding the cost of the periodicals, which I had subsciptions to anyway, and were sitting on the grande Rhulman table in the Library at "Baumont Court"

Its all just false ecconomy when one thinks about it "Carry on as usual, say I"lol

What are you doing to save money?

Where's your spirit of adventure? :)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unfortunately, I had to stop lighting my cigars with $100's and since have resolved to light my cigars with $20's. Much more efficient anyway.

Miss 1929

I got a job.

Which should help!

But seriously folks - it is going to be worse, and harder on those of us with precarious streams of income, than you know.

So some other stuff to do - put in the winter veggie garden (I can pretty much grow anything in my backyard); winterize the house a bit more (not that it gets that cold here, but if we can use the heater 25% less this winter, I will be happy); cut down on food purchasing in general, I need to diet anyway); and walk/bike/bus to work (it's only 1.6 miles each way).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One thing I've been doing is taking care of every big-expense medical/dental necessity that I can possibly manage *now*, before things get *really* tough. I've already had one root canal, and am planning another this month, have gotten my bloodworkc checked, and have stocked up on meds. When the real crunch comes, those of us without insurance will see access to such care dry up really fast.

Miss 1929

Exactly so...

LizzieMaine said:
One thing I've been doing is taking care of every big-expense medical/dental necessity that I can possibly manage *now*, before things get *really* tough. I've already had one root canal, and am planning another this month, have gotten my bloodworkc checked, and have stocked up on meds. When the real crunch comes, those of us without insurance will see access to such care dry up really fast.

Of course, if you have a prescription for a "controlled substance" like I do, you are also hosed, as you are not allowed to buy more than a month's supply at a time. And no generic available until 2019 on this one...

Undertow

LizzieMaine said:

Haha, I thought I was the only "paranoid" person out there. I've also been getting my medical work out of the way in case of a big crunch in which I lose insurance.

I'm scheduled for an evaluation on one root canal, I've already got glasses (first eye exam and lenses ever! and I've need them pretty bad since I was a kid), I've already had my teeth cleaned, and I've already switched PCP's and have an exam scheduled the day after the root canal evaluation.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Keep your receipts. If your dental and medical expenses total a certain percentage of your income, you can take a tax deduction.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Binkie, in the financial news today, Australia is saying there will be no recession in Australia, indeed they are expecting a continuation of economic growth that has been experienced over the last few years, albeit at a slightly reduced rate due to the difficulties that overseas markets may experience.

What was that thing about "The Lucky Country" ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
its 3-4% if i am remembering right from 2007...when I actually hit 8% of my income in dental expenses.

I deducted my medical expenses last year also. Those expenses didn't even include expenses charged to the insurance company of the driver who hit me. If you're going to have a lot of medical expenses, incur them all in one year. (This includes prescription glasses--I bought two new pairs last December.:) )

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
Me worry? I am a Government Gal

I work for the agency that just got $700 Billion dollars. I am hoping us Government Gals will get spa treatment like some of the bankers have....
But seriously, I have cut back on any modern era shopping. Buying vintage is so much more worth it and makes me happy (and feel more lovely). Plus I plan to work on some of those vintage sewing patterns.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am retired, have a pension and social security so don't have to worry too much about my savings or 401(k) or anything going kaput.

My mother has been going cuckoo during these past few weeks. She is a child of the depression and remembers family losing money in banks. Hers is in Wells Fargo and I told her that, if that bank failed, everything would fail.

She has since calmed down.

If things don't pick up and stay up, there will be a big holiday problem for retail stores. Most people I know are cutting back and not spending as much as they once did. Worst thing they could do, but that is what they will do.

karol

Rachael

A-List Customer
Since I don't have money in any markets and don't have an employer I figure I'm fine. My money will be just fine in my checking account (or sock drawer) and I don't have a job to loose. But if anyone else is looking to stimulate the economy I would be happy to direct you to a theatrical production or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick