Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crofut & Knapp Tales

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
This came up for auction a while back, and I picked it up pretty cheap. I thought I might as well get a late-model C&K just for the integrity of the collection and research.

1960sCK1.jpg

5 1/4" crown, 1 7/8" overwelt brim, and 2' ribbon. The chocolate brown felt is thin and crisp. The overwelt is nicely done, and the stitches are so close to the edge of the welt that they are very visible. Very nicely proportioned.

The sweatband is incredibly brittle.
1960sCK2.jpg

1960sCK3.jpg

This is most likely a 1960s hat. Other than the liner, sweatband, and size marker, there are no other factory or store labels inside the hat, nor does it look like there ever were. This C&K is a lower-priced hat, and by this point in the brand's history, it was just another basic brand, like Byron, Berg, and Dunlap, rather than a higher-tier brand like Dobbs, Cavanagh, and Knox. A sad fate to befall a once-mighty brand, but it had been on the downswing since the introduction of Dobbs in 1908, which quickly overshadowed the C&K brand.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
I'm guessing earlier. The hat itself looks like it could've gone to Cuba with the Rough Riders. The Gothic script on the postcard to me is certainly pre-20s, more like the 1900s than even the 1910s.

Could very well be. It's not older than 1906, as that was the first year for Knapp-Felt.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The Hatman -- 1914

The following pages are from a 1914 edition of The Hatman that I recently purchased. This was the first one I have found for sale, and I was excited to get it. It's the house organ for Crofut & Knapp, sent out to their retail associates, so it's full of tips and gentle cajoling to sell more hats. It also has samples of advertising available, with many interesting models of hats on display.

I love all the references to the Cavanagh Edge in its first full year of production.

Enjoy!

Brad

Cover.jpg

Pages4-5.jpg

Pages6-7.jpg

Pages8-9.jpg

Pages10-11.jpg

Pages12-13.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
The following pages are from a 1914 edition of The Hatman that I recently purchased. This was the first one I have found for sale, and I was excited to get it. It's the house organ for Crofut & Knapp, sent out to their retail associates, so it's full of tips and gentle cajoling to sell more hats. It also has samples of advertising available, with many interesting models of hats on display.

I love all the references to the Cavanagh Edge in its first full year of production.

Enjoy!

Brad

Thanks for posting this Brad! I've been waiting for one of these to turn up. Hopefully we'll find more issues.

B

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone have a derby with a Cavanagh Edge?
Fantastic Brad! Thanks for showing.

buler

I'll Lock Up
I found it interesting that they say some of their hats go thru the cavanagh edge process even when the edge is to be cut off!

B

Viper Man

Banned
C&K Milan

I fished this beauty out of the bay last spring. It had lost it's original ribbon or pug and so I tacked some vintage stuff (24 ligne, midnight brown) on it that I had aquired some years ago.

Crown: 5 1/2"
Brim: 2 5/8"

389199798.jpg

389199797.jpg

389199796.jpg

362454207.jpg

362454211.jpg

362454185.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
Does anyone have a derby with a Cavanagh Edge?
Fantastic Brad! Thanks for showing.

Dreispitz has one, though it has binding covering the Edge. They appear to be pretty rare.

buler said:
I found it interesting that they say some of their hats go thru the cavanagh edge process even when the edge is to be cut off!
The cynic in me suspects these were mostly factory rejects, where the finished Edge was flawed in some way. There is so much labor involved in making these, and I had to think the number of rejects could be numerous, even with skilled labor. Cutting off the Edge allows you to sell them anyway and still claim the use of the process.

Nice straw, Viper Man. I like the new ribbon.

Brad

Corky

Practically Family
Great work, Brad...

...your work is invaluable to anyone who is trying to understand the evolution of the American hat industry in the 19th century.

Thanks.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
In a bit of shameless self promotion and to resubscribe myself to this thread after the upgrade, I'm letting you know I've posted a new article on my blog today. I'll bet you thought I had given up on it, too. :)

Just click the link in my signature.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24