Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crown perforations

I recall seeing pics of fur felt hats with perforations in the sides of the crowns. I've seen the perforations in a diamond pattern, as I recall, and a five-point star pattern.

Anyone know how it is done? I'd think it wouldn't be that tough, provided the hatter had the right tool(s). Put those holes in a lightweight felt, leave the hat unlined, and maybe go with one of those perforated sweatbands and you'd have yourself a darned serviceable warm-weather lid, no?

Does anyone still make such a hat?

Anyone?

duggap

Banned
Tony, if I am not mistaken, there was a thread on this before. One of our bartenders, Mark C. I believe, actually did one himself and showed the pictures. If memory serves me, he would not tell exactly how he did it though. Sorry I am not much good with the search button or I would have tried to find it for you.[huh]

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
I seem to recall seeing something involving a pinned block on some strange TV show many, many years ago (before my parents got a colour TV, so that puts it somewhere around 1972/3... the pins were arranged in the pattern, and had saddle shaped ends...

but we're talking 35 + years, and me memory isn't that good (prescription meds... the joy of REM suppression, eh?) so I'd trial and error the above...

Chances are there is something on the patents list...

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been meaning to get around to doing
this to a hat some time... The best I could
figure was that a hole punch, like a leather
punch, appears to be the best way.
A drill would get caught up in the fibers.

I imagine that hatters who did this often
had dies cut in a particular pattern. It seems
to me the pattern is the biggest challenge.

I suppose a laser would be good, if it didn't
leave burns around the edges of the holes.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Tony, it's done with a punch that is a similar to a drill press. I have one but only have the 5 point start design at the moment. It's one of those things on the "to do" list. I could have sworn we did a thread on this last year but then, my memory has been slipping.

Tinker

New in Town
tonyb said:
I recall seeing pics of fur felt hats with perforations in the sides of the crowns. I've seen the perforations in a diamond pattern, as I recall, and a five-point star pattern.

I saw such perforations in the very top of a hat this weekend. I think they were in a circular pattern. It was a bowler. Seemed to make sense to be in the top in that case.

Tinker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou