Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuff Links and Button Down Collars

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
My affection for cufflinks grows with each set I acquire, and would very much like to incorporate them more frequently into my daily attire. To that end I've considered taking a few of my patterned shirts to the tailor to be altered to accommodate them, to break up the monotony (and incessant washing) of my single white shirt with proper cuffs. However, the majority possess button down collars, which is more frequently considered a 'casual' feature. So what are your thoughts FL, a faux pas, or a minute detail easily carried through?

BruSwain

New in Town
You might say I'm of two minds on this matter. I do think french cuffs with a buttondown collar is pushing it a bit, the two don't seem made for each other. OTOH I've seen vintage ads for Arrow collars with buttons on them, one suggesting it's a good model for, say, playing tennis. Most (if not all) dress shirts at the time had foldover or "attached" cuffs for links, so the pairing must have been considered appropriate.

But then there's also some unwritten rule out there suggesting french cuffs are declassé with a blazer or sport coat; i.e., they're too dressy for anything other than a suit. I'll violate that rule to an extent: if you're wearing khakis with your blazer, no french cuffs, but okay with spiffy dress pants.

Whislerm

New in Town
I had Ratio Clothing make me an OCBD with french cuffs. I think it works just fine with trousers and a sport coat, especially in more casual color like brown. Also, with real simple cufflinks, no jewels etc.

It may be breaking the rules but I like it.

Michael

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My affection for cufflinks grows with each set I acquire, and would very much like to incorporate them more frequently into my daily attire.
Do you, I wonder, have any of those chain link cufflinks? Do you have a problem keeping them fastened? I have had to 'designate' a couple of shirts to use with my chain link cufflinks. By designate, two of my shirts now have button holes in the cuffs, rather than button slits. The button holes are so small that I can't get the more popular cufflink, with a bar attachment, through the tiny hole. And the reason that the button holes are so tiny is because it was the only way that I could keep the chain link attachment from coming undone. Have you experienced this difficulty?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy