Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffed Jeans

Do you cuff or hem your jeans?

• Total voters
Tried it, don't like it as it seems to get sloppy. Kids do it. But they roll 'em up above the ankle. Not my style so I sitck with single - on pants long enough to do so.

simonc

Practically Family
The cuff was traditional only ever single as union chain stitching (with cowboys) was thought to be a display feature, double cuffing would hide this.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
So what are you saying Grayland, about an inch? Or no cuff at all?

I'd guess the first is maybe 2 inches

IMO, about an inch, maybe slightly bigger than that. The first pic really isn't too bad, but I don't feel it looks very good with the narrow leg opening and the clunky shoe. I actually like the shoe, but feel that a narrow leg opening needs a sleeker shoe/boot - maybe a chelsea boot like a RM Williams.

majormajor

One Too Many
I seem to recall that an almost identical conversation took place within the last month.

But anyway, here's my regulation 1.5 inches:D;)

mq9p.jpg

schitzo

Suspended
I seem to recall that an almost identical conversation took place within the last month.

mq9p.jpg

Major

Firstly, apologies from all of us for wasting your time with this gratuitous repetition.

Secondly, if the other conversation is still on-going do feel free to not be distracted by this one :D

Thirdly, your cuffs - especially on the right leg - seem to be on the floor. It looks like your regulation 1.5" is not enough. I'm sure you won't thank me for this feedback but I think you need a bigger cuff. Or if you will insist on the 'regulation 1.5' then perhaps you should double up?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

mq9p.jpg

At this leg length surly the cuff/turn up will drag and wear out at the back to give that 'Hippy' look to jeans.

simonc

Practically Family
I have had some Eastman Pinks professionally tailored with cuffs and they look superb, will model with new Aero soon, and here are some IH chinos that have come out very well. It is not a turn-up but a tailored turn-up where they are bonded then turned up and stitiched into place
LFuEs6A.jpg

injunjack

One of the Regulars
hmmm...

1,5"-2" single cuff, with engineer, for more 50's look you may go for 3" single cuff.
Too wide hem should be avoided

Cowboy boot...let them drop or get bootcut jeans.

With shoes/converse/PF flyers, I prefer smaller cuff 1-1,5", AND quite narrow hem, say only a tad over 8"

Those cuffs with cowboy boots above make those jeans look like daddy-jeans, too wide hem, and too long...

Always consider how your footwear go togethert with your jeans...

Wider hem with approx 2,5" single cuff
f4674914-fc05-4a31-ba8f-42b468d0cfd2_zpsa64d03f6.jpg

about 8,5" hem with 2" single cuff
fb5cb251-dad3-4e4f-a7b6-fd2cb2d60685_zps36eb7aad.jpg

About same hem, 1,5-1,7" single cuff
IMG_3617copy.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have had some Eastman Pinks professionally tailored with cuffs and they look superb, will model with new Aero soon, and here are some IH chinos that have come out very well. It is not a turn-up but a tailored turn-up where they are bonded then turned up and stitiched into place
LFuEs6A.jpg

Eastman and Aero in the same room! FIIIIIIGHT;)

majormajor

One Too Many
OK, here we go. Time for an disagreement......

This is EXACTLY the look I do my very best to avoid....

Crumpled legs (cause the jeans are too long) over big "hobnailed" boots.

The look (in the UK) just screams EX SKINHEAD - the perpetrator will probably have (an illegal) Pit Bull Terrier in tow, and have LOVE and HATE tattooed on his fingers.

Don't agree?? OK, so don't wear the look. Because, believe me, that IS the image you project:eeek::eeek::eeek::D;)

ocaf.jpg

PS. Bet you wear a type 3 Levi jacket........

Last edited:

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
"hobnailed" as in not hobnailed.

Pit bull owners (UK) most likely wearing nylon 'trackie' outfits, not £££ denim.

Context is everything. The image projected depends precisely on this.

Unusually inaccurate and imprecise observations from yer man MM. :)

I'm a 2" cuff man for denim. Will cuff chinos as necessary.

Who's to say that's not the image one might try to project?

Nah, type 3's look like crap. A degenerate, reactionary Levis jacket.

Tattoos check. Black bomber with tartan liner for me. Rompin' an Stompin';) oi oi oi

Not really. Honestly are people still so hung up on trivial (biased by the viewer's background/pretensions/political views) impressions? I will say that the only thing I try to avoid is looking manicured. Fussing along about the exact depth of jeans cuffs? Come on, is this Styleforum all of a sudden?

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doesn't look ex Skinhead..ish to me...jeans or boots (& I've seen lots of 'em..Skinheads that is). Now here's a Skinhead :D

gg04.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn