Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curling Akubra

Rafferty

New in Town
Hi, gents...been reading for a year and now have a question.

I have an Akubra Drover that I bought in 1988 on a trip and rarely wore because I decided I didn't like its flat brim. Since reading this site, I've learned about steaming, and I steamed its brim in the front to a good, healthy bend. As soon as it got rained on, it straighted itself halfway to level upon drying (upside down). Ok, that's what it wants...fine with me.

But now, after several hiking trips in the sun, the sides and back are starting to take on a curl. Not extreme, but noticable. I'll be forced to take action if it continues, or if I find it channels rain badly.

Any ideas why the brim would be curling up? The edge is bound.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never had any of my Akubra's curl up. They usually relaxed and flattened over time (sitting on hat hooks in my wall). All but the federation that was a bit to small, I would stretch it over my long oval head and the sides did the cowboy thing. If you put your hat on a hat stretcher that could have the same effect. So if you are long oval, what I did was, buy one size up and use the foam to shrink it down to my size until my sweat shrank the band down to my actual size (removing the foam as the hat shrank). Sorry I could not be more helpful.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou