Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current stars wearing their lids

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I still like Matthew McConaughey's hat, though the outfit is retro 70's (which is one era I do not wish to emulate).

Is that a Panama? Does anyone know looking at it?

karol

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
agreed

Marlowe said:
Some of "old Hollywood" may or may not have surpassed "today's Hollywood" in moral rectitude or "breeding" or "class" or whatever you care to call it, but what "old Hollywood" had that "today's Hollywood" doesn't have is powerful studio public relations departments who own their stars' images and likenesses and were therefore extremely careful with their reputations and appearances. Public image was a large part of the language of the contracts the stars had with their respective studios. An actor's contract could be terminated for not protecting the studios' "property."

True and good point.

Sidebar: Nice to see you here. Which brand of trench coat is in your avatar?

Biltmore Bob said:
I limit TV, monitor their friends, buy their clothes, involve myself in their school, shelter and protect them. Ain't that what parents do? Surround them with God fearing folk.

That is exactly what parents are for and it sounds like you are doing a decent job. Some people do not understand that you are not your child's friend but rather their PARENT. All of those things you mentioned above are part of that responsibility. They are not blank slates when they are born but rather have a personality and such already. It is up to the parents to set guidelines and shape character. The reason why we have such hoboesque individuals is precisely because parents that are lax and accept anything. Let's face it, it is the parents that spend the money on their children. It is their fault if it ends up financing hobo outfits, movies that have superfluous violence and immorality, video games that do the same and other things that are objectionable to reasonable people.
In short, if the culture has gotten out of hand it is because too many have let it become so. The culture is a reflection on us. If the money dried up for hobo outfits and sick movies then the makers of such would not produce them anymore. So if we raise the children to make the world different then our culture becomes the dominant culture. The "real world" then becomes our world. What is the real world anyway but that which we make it? Changing one attitude and mind at a time.
Moving on, the public relations department and strict contracts during old Hollywood's reign is exactly what I was talking about. That is what produced the appearance of Hollywood being like America and reflecting American values. Even early TV shows were more in keeping with American values and even giving morals to the stories. Now Hollywood is something to be avoided because it is contrary to what a majority of America believes.
I think Orwell had it quite right to paraphrase: Whenever I hear the calls for freedom, freedom, freedom; I hear chains rattling.

Regards to all,

J

guitone

Familiar Face
What I like is the fact that these so called "stars" are disocvering what we have been wearing for years now, nice hats...gotta love that. I sort of like it better when it is a silent, quite trend....when there are few of us who do indeed have this wonderful sense of style, but on the other hand I want there to be availability of hats. stil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo