Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Allen Edmonds "Chestnut" Spectator Wingtips

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
For those of you that have been following this, I got my custom order Allen Edmonds "Broadstreet" wingtip spectator shoes in today. I wanted a pair that looked like they were deadstock from the 30's. These will be my definitive summer shoes. Can be worn dress, or casual.

Specs are as follows.

Model: Broadstreet
Size: 15C
Color: Burnished Chestnut and White Golf
Sole: Single welt oak leather
Edge Dressing: Dark Brown
Heel: Black Rubber (edges are colored dark brown from the edge dressing)

These cost $100 over the cost of the standard Black and White Broadstreets because of the custom color. Outside of finding a vintage pair, this is the only way to get a pair of shoes like this. I highly recommend them. My saleswoman was Lyn Raffensperger. She can be contacted at Allen Edmonds Shoes: 1-800-235-2348.

specs6-vi.jpg

specs5-vi.jpg

specs1-vi.jpg

Sorry about the reflection here...
specs2-vi.jpg

specs3-vi.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Those shoes are choice and worth every penney.

Allen Edmonds' makes them exactly like they did back in the 30's... I have seen vintage pairs and they are the same.

Wear them well and take care of them. Shoe trees and all.

Be very careful about polishing them because if you get brown on the whit it is nearly impossible to get out.

I love those.

Allen Edmonds is one of the best shoemakers in the US.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Matt, did Allen ever make them with white buck? I would think that they did. Since all the vintage two tones I have seen are a white buck with brown polished leather. I have one pair of Florsheim’s that are from the late 40's if not early 50's and have not the buck skin. But are like most two tones made today. What do you think?

Root.

PS. I love the shoes Zohar! Great stuff and you will get nothing but good words about them! Good job my friend!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think the white rough side out leather was the go to material for many shoe makers working in the white, though I have seen two tones with the smooth leather alot more... The first time I saw rough out white on a a two tone shoe were on yours... I have seen many since then though I think both were common.

The Trunk show salesman I saw at Carroll and Co. in Beverly Hills would know more. He has catalogs going back years and years for Allen Edmonds.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Originally posted by Canadave
VERY nice! Had you tried on Broadstreets before to know they would fit?

David

I "bought" a pair of black 15C Chesters (same as broadstreets but all black) to see how they fit. I walked around in them on carpet for a couple of hours, and decided they fit well. I then sent them back to AE with $100 and they went to work on these.

It took 5 weeks from start to finish to get them. If you're interested, I highly recommend talking to Lyn Raffensperger at that number above.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Zohar, those are classy looking shoes! Looks like they are worth every penny. Wear them with pride!

Brad

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Will do, Brad.

In other news regarding my recent shoe purchase, I received an email from one "Gladcobbler". He is telling me that I overpaid for my purchase, as the leather they are made of isn't cow. Instead, they are actually made of a leather-like substance that excreted by the sebaceous glands of the duck-billed platypus. I was informed by him that all of the best shoes in the world are clearly made from the rumps of Angus/Wasabi cows that have been bred simply for the harvesting of this leather, due to its lack of what are known as "rump guard hairs".

In addition, the Allen Edmonds company are a bunch of shyster hucksters that are clearly inferior to the Gladcobbler and his super fino 1000 x angus butt shoes that will put my ugly two tones to shame, and make me walk like a Real Manâ„¢

More news as it develops.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Zohar
In other news regarding my recent shoe purchase, I received an email from one "Gladcobbler". He is telling me that I overpaid for my purchase, as the leather they are made of isn't cow. Instead, they are actually made of a leather-like substance that excreted by the sebaceous glands of the duck-billed platypus. I was informed by him that all of the best shoes in the world are clearly made from the rumps of Angus/Wasabi cows that have been bred simply for the harvesting of this leather, due to its lack of what are known as "rump guard hairs".

In addition, the Allen Edmonds company are a bunch of shyster hucksters that are clearly inferior to the Gladcobbler and his super fino 1000 x angus butt shoes that will put my ugly two tones to shame, and make me walk like a Real Manâ„¢

What??????

Great shoes, N. Given custom, could one get these in all brown, then? Maybe that defeats the purpose or idea of spectators and there are any number of shoes/makers with all one color, but in that style.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Great shoes, N. Given custom, could one get these in all brown, then?

Yes you can. Just get a pair of "Chester's" in brown. It'd be the exact same shoe, just one solid color.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
When did AE quit making the Broadstreet in brown and white? I just received some today that have some definite age to them. But until I re-read Zohar's post about the only way to get them in brown was to custom order them, I didn't realize the potential age of these.

Anyway, they are strikingly similar to Z's, just a bit darker brown, it seems. They are all leather, including the heel. No rubber cap.

They're slick. Mrs. Cab's gonna dig 'em.

Cab

Barry

Practically Family
I'm diggin up this old thread because I have a question bout these shoes. I bought a pair of and they are due to arrive in 6-8 weeks. Just in time for the season. I asked on "Ask Andy" whether people thought they would be a good match for a Brooks Brothers tan poplin suit.

I thought I would ask here too. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Barry

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I would think so. I wear mine with khakis all the time.

They really are my favorite shoes, but I try to only wear them once a week or so during the proper season.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Zohar said:
Will do, Brad.

In addition, the Allen Edmonds company are a bunch of shyster hucksters that are clearly inferior to the Gladcobbler and his super fino 1000 x angus butt shoes that will put my ugly two tones to shame, and make me walk like a Real Man?¢‚Äû¬¢

Glad you dug this one up Barry, or I would have missed this gem!
The shoes as well. They are about perfect.

It probably depends on the shade of tan, but it sounds like a very nice match in my Moleskine. :)

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Seeing this again this morning, I looked at mine and found that they could use some conditioning treatment. What is a good way to treat spectators? Can you oil, cream, gel, etc., the whole thing, brown AND white? Do you use two separate polishes and just apply very, very carefully? How about cleaning out the "decoration"?

Thanks.

Cab

Top Hat

New in Town
I am a new user, but having seen Zohar's custom specators, I ordered a pair while at the Allen Edmonds store in Chicago a couple weeks ago. The "burnished chestnut" is no longer an option, but they have another similar color. The only thing I changed was the sole - a medium brown, like what comes standard on the "Niles" in Brandy. I'll have about 6 months to break them in! Let's hope my wife doesn't make me sleep in the garage for this. I guess I to will have to figure out how to polish them...

moustache

Practically Family
Beautiful!!

I just came across this thread thanks to some recent posts.What a delightful pair of shoes!!!!WIsh i could afford such a pair.Maybe when i win the lottery!!!

Kudos to Zohar and Allen-Edmonds and that splendid sight!!

JD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24