Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Blended Makeup

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Has anyone had personalized makeup blended for them?

Im thinking of having a lipstick made in the future. Im sick of the trial and error I get with colors. Neutrals look awful on me because their tones are more brown and plum. Corals and pinks make me looks silly, so Im stuck with reds, but most are not red enough or dark enough for my tastes.

Ive found a few places online that custom reproduce a blend for you. They dont seem to cost much more than a high quality retail tube, but Im thinking of going somewhere and having a color done.

Anyone had any custom make up made? Eyeshadow, foundation, perfume? How was the end result?

Thanks ladies :)

LD

Miss sofia

One Too Many
When i lived abroad i had a foundation blended, i think it was Origins, who i believe don't do it anymore, (shame) anyway it was great as i'm a pale olive and a lot of light foundations i find very pink on my skin. They just mixed them at the counter and voila. Great stuff. Probably one of the better foundations i have had. Love to hear about the lippie though!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I don't permantly mix things in to jars or other containers but everything I wear every day is a mix of different colors/shades/textures because I can never find anything that's just right for fussy me.

I wouldn't mind paying extra for a custom blended foundation if it can be done at a counter where I can try it on before buying because I don't feel confident ordering foundations or any kind of base make-up online.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Lillemor said:
I don't permantly mix things in to jars or other containers but everything I wear every day is a mix of different colors/shades/textures because I can never find anything that's just right for fussy me.

I do the same - mix my foundation up everyday. Untill this weekend I could never see the point of tinted moisturiser- everything I had ever tried looked terrible, so i usually use my own custom foundation mix and concealer on my chin and under my eyes and just powder on everything else.

BUT- this weekend I had an idea- I mixed my MAC white liquid foundation with a dot of moisturising fluid (Olay classic) and made a white tinted moisturiser- and it looks so good :eusa_clap - like perfect porcelain skin, and really clear and healthy- I'd recomend trying it, for anyone with pale skin- such a simple idea, don't know why i did'nt think of it before!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I used to like prescriptives but they mistyped me as Y/O was the only colour to approoch the paleness of my skin- also because Liverpool/ The Wirral has a high amount of Scandinavian decent so Y/O was a popular shade for undertones- but i have Celtic R/B undertones! They sold me the peach blush and the brown lippy to go with it all- and i just looked awful- dead.

I have 'Clear Winter' / 'Bright Winter' tones as typed by CMB- and I NEED bright shades- in fact bright bright red lipstick doesn't look particularly bright on me- just makes me look healthy- and royal blue makes my skin sparkle- but not that you notice the colour as such on me- you see 'me' first.

So you can imagine how I looked all yellow-ish skin and peach blush and rust coloured lips! Cost me a fortune....oh well.

I'm saving up for- MAC opaque foundation in white and skin correctors in Blond ash (green white) and peach (peach white- I'd prefer pink-white but they don't do it). I have the liquid foundation in white , powder in white and powder in pale rose.

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
Tishkaminx said:
I used to like prescriptives but they mistyped me as Y/O was the only colour to approoch the paleness of my skin- also because Liverpool/ The Wirral has a high amount of Scandinavian decent so Y/O was a popular shade for undertones- but i have Celtic R/B undertones! They sold me the peach blush and the brown lippy to go with it all- and i just looked awful- dead.

I have 'Clear Winter' / 'Bright Winter' tones as typed by CMB- and I NEED bright shades- in fact bright bright red lipstick doesn't look particularly bright on me- just makes me look healthy- and royal blue makes my skin sparkle- but not that you notice the colour as such on me- you see 'me' first.

So you can imagine how I looked all yellow-ish skin and peach blush and rust coloured lips! Cost me a fortune....oh well.

I'm saving up for- MAC opaque foundation in white and skin correctors in Blond ash (green white) and peach (peach white- I'd prefer pink-white but they don't do it). I have the liquid foundation in white , powder in white and powder in pale rose.

You sound exactly like me. Counters always try to sell me yellow-toned foundation and it just looks awful. Same story with the red lips. Do you mostly just use MAC foundation?? and do you think it would be ok for sensative skin?? I have very picky skin!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Baby butterfly. I've got MAC face & body foundation in white, the studiofix fluid in NC15 and the Studiostick in NC15 (the stick is now discontinued)

I like the white fluid as tinted moisturiser, I'm not keen on liquid foundations per se and I love the stick as it covers really well any areas of reddness like nose and chin. I am looking forward to gettign those skin correctors - they are pro prodcuts so i will have to mail order them- and save up.

My Mum has sensitive skin and she hasn't had a problem- I've never had a problem so I'm not the best judge.

Hope that helps.

Tulip

New in Town
I have the opposite problem to Tishkaminx (sidenote - I grew up in the Wirral!) and baby_butterfly - nothing is yellow enough! Most of the foundations I've tried seem to have orange undertones rather than yellow, which is never flattering. I've flirted with the idea of a custom blend foundation - Yana Cosmetics used to have a store in London where they would specially mix up your shade (unfortunately the shop seems to have gone, but they still sell preblended formulas and they'll send out a free sample) - but I've never gone through with it.

Lipstick is a whole other bucket of issues! I like long-wearing formulas, which narrows the field drastically (I don't think it's even possible to get a custom blend long-wearing lipstick), so I stick to a signature colour (not out of choice!) - 108 Frivolous Lipfinity Max Factor. It's more pink than red, but dark enough to avoid comparisons with lollipop residue.

Before Max Factor, there was MAC, who discontinued my favourite shade, a brown-tinged brick red. It wasn't perfect, a little too dark for my complexion, but it was red. I would smear a little of a brighter red (regular formula) lipstick on top while it was still wet, which was enough to balance the brown for the most part. It would still last all day!

I totally feel your pain Lady Day :)

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
Tishkaminx said:
Baby butterfly. I've got MAC face & body foundation in white, the studiofix fluid in NC15 and the Studiostick in NC15 (the stick is now discontinued)

I like the white fluid as tinted moisturiser, I'm not keen on liquid foundations per se and I love the stick as it covers really well any areas of reddness like nose and chin. I am looking forward to gettign those skin correctors - they are pro prodcuts so i will have to mail order them- and save up.

My Mum has sensitive skin and she hasn't had a problem- I've never had a problem so I'm not the best judge.

Hope that helps.

That's brilliant thank you, I have given up wearing foundation as I just couldn't find anything that suited me. Maybe I'll gi e mac a go.

Sorry to ask so many questions but what sunscreen do you use?? I'm sick of sticky suncream!!!

Julius8122

New in Town
I would totally have custom makeup made for me if I could afford it. I generally just end up creating my own blends at home.

Histoire

New in Town
Silk Naturals has a mineral foundation that you custom blend at home. It's kind of a fun little project to get a sampler set and mix it up. Unfortunately my skin reacted to the silica in it, but I know other people have had wonderful results. You could always give that a try if you don't think it would be too fussy to do it yourself. As a side note her lipsticks are one of the few that I've tried that I don't have a reaction to and that are super moisturizing for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy