Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom made vintage repros...

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Weird... that is exactly the question I came on here to ask.
I have a beautiful navy blue dress for the mid-40's, and it fits me perfectly. Unfortunately, it has a sizable hole in the fabric. (not a seam rip) I was considering having someone turn it into a pattern so a new one can be made, but I'm really nervous about it. I know it's silly because I can't wear it anyway, but still...
I'd like to hear some success stories (or dire warnings, as the case may be) about this before I proceed.
Thanks!

i once bought a perfectly fitting dress at a little flea market, it was amazingly cheap, and had the best pockets ever (i'm a sucker for pockets...) i was excited! when i went to wear it, the fabric just started coming apart. :(
i carefully took out the seams, laid the individual pieces out flat, and traced the pieces onto paper. i used this to create my own pattern, and made a dress just like it with new-won't-fall-apart fabric. the only problem i encountered was my tendency to make my seam allowances smaller than they should be, and having things end up a bit looser than they should, but that's easily fixed. also, i only took half of the dress apart, so i could still use the other half for reference to make sure i put the pockets together properly (they were integrated into the body in an odd way...). if you attempt something like this yourself, you might want to snap some photos during the process, or draw up some diagrams to help you remember how it was put together. i'm not sure if seamstresses will do something like this for you, but i do know it can be done.
and once the pattern has been made, you can always stitch the dress back along the same lines, if you want to keep it in it's original dress-shape (as long as the fabric isn't too far gone along the seams).

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Check out this place for stunning custom repros, even though I'd need a remortgage to afford anything at the moment!

Madame Tra La La

I am coveting this skirt:

201077.jpg

Miss Honey Bare

New in Town
Fleur De Guerre said:
Check out this place for stunning custom repros, even though I'd need a remortgage to afford anything at the moment!

Madame Tra La La

I am coveting this skirt:

201077.jpg

Bleedin' 'eck!
Beautiful but pricey Fleur.

The tailored suits were very lovely too.

I wish I were a rich girl.... *sigh*

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
That skirt is fabulous! I hadn't seen that website before - so many beautiful things but they are a little pricey - particularly after the Budget yesterday!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Her stuff is cute! Pretty cool that she has her specific styles then does custom work from them. Very old style couturier.

Blondie

Practically Family
I really want a Top Runway blouse, so i emailed her & asked if she has any rayon , or if not, could i send her some, alas cannot send her fabric, so she suggested rayon jersey for the blouse,
i don't know what that is, but am assuming it is like t-shirt fabric ??
What do you all think about a blouse made out of that ???
May be too clingy ?
May end up looking like a pj top ?
Show all my bumps & lumps ?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Some rayon jersey is clingy, some is not. Some rayon jersey is more like matte jersey. You should ask for a sample of the fabric.

Blondie

Practically Family
Thanks KamiKat, will do that ! Would you make a blouse of it ??
I just cannot picture a 40's puff sleaves blouse made out of t-shirt fabric though [huh]

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Blondie said:
Thanks KamiKat, will do that ! Would you make a blouse of it ??
I just cannot picture a 40's puff sleaves blouse made out of t-shirt fabric though [huh]

I have made blouses from it but I don't think it would look right for a 40's blouse. It's usually not as stretchy as cotton t-shirt jersey but it would give a different look. In modern clothing, it's typically used for wrap dresses, if that gives you a better idea.

Inky

One Too Many
I can't really see rayon jersey (and I am thinking of the more matte type) as a puff sleeved blouse. I could see it as a slinky long sleeve blouse. Something like this one

202.jpg

(because I happen to be looking for some rayon jersey for this :D )

I think a typical 40's short puffed sleeve blouse (like one might wear with a suspender skirt or trousers for example) would be better suited to a woven fabric.

Blondie

Practically Family
Thanks Inky ! Thats what i needed to know !!! Will PM you about it, if that's ok ;) rather than asking a zillion questions on here and boring everyone

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Theresa LaQuey is wonderful...

I've seen the incredible gowns she's made for herself for years. I also wished that someday I could have something made by her for me. She has like 2,500 vintage patterns! Her very important words to me were "there is no such thing as a hard fit." For the Yosemite weekend with the Art Deco Society I had her make our very slim DD a camel wool flannel gored calf length skirt and a lt. yellow silk cap sleeve charmeuse top. For myself, a navy wool crepe skirt and a 1940s blue w/ drk blue polka dots silk charmeuse l/s blouse. She fitted muslins on us first. The final results are wonderful! I had her get enough extra of the navy crepe to also make me a jacket so I'll have a 1940s suit. I've got a long wish list of things I want her to sew for us. I sew but I am not a pattern fitter or alterer. I also highly recommend her.

Miss1929- love all of these that T LaQ made for you!

359833802.jpg

Miss 1929 said:
My friend Theresa LaQuey makes custom vintage-styled clothes, and also does retro (and doll) patterns for Simplicity.
Not cheap, but well worth it to get exactly what you want, that fits!
I had a great "suite" made in pebbled crepe satin - long slinky bare evening gown, matching jacket, matching cocktail length skirt (these three all in black), and a beige blouse in the same fabric, that can wear with the skirt or over the long gown to make a dinner gown.
Here's the gown and jacket, with sapphires and far too many association badges on my lapel:
l_744d297e7d1299d06ab6ae903cbab0ef.jpg

She also made me this nice day dress:
l_366ffdd5283df200e416591a03c1127e.jpg

And this swell white crepe gown and cape!
l_a95b27576d97f010e7a34c4c52bb9b41.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend her! Always on time, professional and fun!

Christy

One of the Regulars
Bumping this thread

I was thinking of purchasing this dress from Top Runway
monroejfi1.jpg

I don't know what color to get it in though. Does anyone have any idea of what color the original is? Or does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really excited to order it because of all of the nice dresses and skirts that I've seen on here, I'm just completely lost on the color.

Thanks!

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Christy said:
I was thinking of purchasing this dress from Top Runway
monroejfi1.jpg

I don't know what color to get it in though. Does anyone have any idea of what color the original is? Or does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really excited to order it because of all of the nice dresses and skirts that I've seen on here, I'm just completely lost on the color.

Thanks!

ive this dress....from cynthai (same lady) in navy blue with pink trim.... i love it but have no pics as yet!:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran