Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Topper?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Hadn't seen them before, but I'd be skeptical about the quality. The technology to make proper silk plush for top hats hasn't existed for decades, and if someone had found a way to do it again, I think we'd have heard about it.

New fur felt toppers run about $400, and refurbished vintage silk ones can go for thousands. I don't think there'd be much of a market for either if good-quality new silk ones were available for $75 on Ebay.

At any rate, those hats look a bit "fuzzy" for some reason...definitely not smooth, polished silk.

David V

A-List Customer
Agreed.
The price is about the starting bid on most vintage hats.
The first picture looks fuzzy everywhere. Th second photo looks pretty good. Not good enough for me to take the leap! :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
UK, US, Punti, Metric. Yep- lots of variation. Can be quite confusing.

With the top hat here- notice it says it's faux brushed silk? what exactly does this mean? polyester?

Topper

Vendor
Most modern "silk looking" hats are made from "Melusine" fine fur felt, gives a sheen similar to silk plush, but if you compare it with a real one then there is no comparison. Real silk wins no questions asked.

There are a number of other "silk" type plushes available, most with a rayon pile and a silk or cotton weft. Some of these are very good, some not so good.

Without seeing one of this ladies hats in person I cannot comment... If anyone wants to buy one for me and post it to England - would be happy to look at it :D

Though looking of the other hats on the wesite, a number look like they are made using "millinery" techniques rather than "hatter" techniques.

Topper

Vendor
Are you 7&1/8 UK or US. If US7&1/8 then have a very nice 6&1/4 crown with very famboyant bell curve and beautiful saddle brim that is right up your street. Don't have 6&1/2 right now.

Those firms are a couple of different dealers :eek:

My website is on my Profile.

Pip-pip
Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy