Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D1 pockets on a B3- Yes or No

Xopher

A-List Customer
Howdy Folks,
I have an Orchard Branded B3 with just the map pocket and for the past couple weeks Ive been pondering the idea of having D1 style zip pockets added to it. What is everyone's opinion on that idea? Would that be sacrilege? I was also wondering, for you fellows out there with D1's do you use them as hand warmer pockets or are they strictly for storing things in them? The angle on them looks like they might be uncomfortable and the zipper strikes of murder on cold wrists but this is all coming from my own imagination, so I don't really know, but if they're not an issue then the idea still seems intriguing.

Edward

Bartender
Aero used to offer what they called a "civilian B3" on the US market, back in the Mark Moyes days, which wa essentially what you describe. I liked it. Myself, I'd be disinclined to go for that as a modification to an otherwise accurate repro jacket, particularly as I don't really used handwarmer pockets on a Winter jacket for anything other than to stuff gloves in (the standard B3 open topped map pocket does the job for me on that front). I can see it being a practical mod, though... and if I was going for other variations on the theme, like a black fleece, say, I'd consider it. Buying from scratch I'd maybe lean more to an ANJ4 if I wanted pockets on it, but if you've already got a jacket the value of which won't be hit by adding pockets (obviously I'd never suggest that being done on an original B3!) and you aren't bothered by it deviating from a historically accurate look (if you're not wearing it with a living histroy repro'ed uniform, then it really is a matter of personal preference), why not?

Stand By

One Too Many
I have D-1 pockets on my Aero C-3 (see the cold weather thread - just posted photos of it) - and as you say, Xopher, the zips are hellish on cold wrists. Not recommended if occasional hand-warming is what you may need them for.
With hindsight, I really should have opted for pockets as on my ELC B-6, i.e. no zips (which I got later). And the pockets on my B-6 are really warm too. I love having my hands in those.

As for should you do that to a B-3?
At the end of the day, do what you want, I say. The B-3s we love were made in the 1930s for war - not modern peacetime civilian use, so IMO, they aren't well suited to modern life in many ways (such as having enough useful pockets, being a bit short in cold weather and boxy in cut, too warm in a store etc) - but still we love and wear them anyway. So if you want to add a little convenience, go ahead I say.
But bear in mind that a modification like that would likely affect the sale if/when you decide to move it on .... and so, for myself, I do prefer to keep things authentic. So if your hands get cold, getting some thin cotton liner gloves for a nice pair of A-10s would be my vote. That works really well !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic