Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dad's Open Heart - Thank you for your notes and wishes!

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Loungers,

I finally have returned from being away on travel for work and with my father having his open heart. I wanted to express my family's gratitude for the notes, cards and private messages (along with posts in the Church of Sinatra thread) that I have seen on the Lounge. My dad over the past couple of weeks was ignoring a pain in his left arm dismissing it thinking that it was a muscle spasm. While he was at Kaiser in Hayward picking up some medication the pain became worse. Figuring that he was there at the hospital, he went upstairs to see our family doctor on a whim. They took him in and rushed him to the emergency room. The pain became worse, so they hospitalized him. Diags made them realize that it was his heart and they felt that for a 75 year old man, they'd better do an angioplasty. He was transferred to Alta Bates Medical Center where they originally went in to do angioplasty...however they found something alarming.

What they found was that the artery to his right ventricle was 100 percent blocked, with some blood vessels supplying blood to the ventricle. His lower mitral had 70 percent blockage. This made it impossible for them to do angioplasty and they did emergency bypass. Initially they figured that they would do double bypass, but once they got in deeper, they found that he needed quadruple. Luckily and thankfully he had NO VALVE DAMAGE. After 4.5 hours he had 4 bypasses. He has been in a great deal of pain, and recovery is going to be difficult but even though he is weak he is feeling better. My sisters and I have been taking care of him in shifts. Unfortunately, I had a work trip planned for some time so I had to go. I just returned back to Los Angeles yesterday and have been sleeping both yesterday and today.

I thank you for all your great thoughts, and it shows me how wonderful our group of people here really are.

All my best,

Jon

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jon...

I had no idea my friend that this was going on in your life. There aren't enough words to express how sorry I am that your dad and family are having to go through all this worry, but suffice to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you all during this traumatic time. May his recovery to good health be swift.

The sun will rise again my friend, but until then, I'll toast you and your dad's good health.

IMG_4094.jpg

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Good luck to you and your family.......

these days they can do remarkable things...my father had the same thing done 17yrs ago, he is doing fine........
prayers will be with you...

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad to hear that your father is doing well. It's a slow recovery for sure. My father who is 80, had the same operation late last year. Make sure to take care of yourself too ,FG. Sometimes we neglect our own health when we worry/take care of others.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
FG,

My best wishes to your Father, your family and yourself. How wonderful that he got medical when he did. Congratulations on the operation, and kudos to you and your sisters for your care.

You are in my prayers. Please take care of yourself, and make sure your sisters do likewise.

Best Wishes,
Miss Crisplock

All the best wishes.

Dear Jon,

I wish to extend my deepest wishes for your dad's quick return to health and well being.

My prayers for him and your family that the Lord will guide the hands of the doctors and nurses and all in attendence that you will find the chance to relax and know your dad is in good hands.

John in Covina

carter

I'll Lock Up
Jon, At times like these family and friends can be an incredible source of support and inspiration. I'm glad to read that your dad is recovering and has his family with him as he does so. Our thoughts and prayers are with your dad and all your family. Carter

FedoraGent

One Too Many
UPDATE: He's Back in the Hospital

My dad went back in the hospital yesterday as they had to bring him after my sister called 911 because his blood sugar was down to 37. After CTs they think that he may have pneumonia and something wrong with his pancreas. I'm in a weird situation because I'm not up there in Norcal due to work and such. My sister hasn't indicated that I should come up, but isn't it true that people with pneumonia after open heart ...well isn't this really a bad thing?

I don't know what to do, and I'm a bit worried. I'm somewhat drained, tired and frustrated that I'm down here in LA and they are up there. I wish I were there.

Jon

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Jon, I hope he will be OK!
At least he is in the hospital where they can keep an eye on him!
My dad had an eerily similar situation a couple of years ago, and it all came out fine, so I hope it will for yours too. And if you need anything, let me know, I am up here and I have lots of free time right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran