Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dancers: Is It Possible to Smooth Shoe Soles?

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Some Loungers love to dance, especially those that were prominent in the Golden Age. There are no events in my area where music from the Golden Era or "retro" bands (such as Vince Giordano's) close by, so I adapt to the modern music that is played, which I'm sure many of you have also done (sure beats "grinding"). When it comes to dancing solo, I'm a wild man ala Al "Rubber Legs" Norman (yes, I can actually move just like him) from the late 1920s and the 1930s, and this style also seems to be in fashion with certain music groups, dubbed "Shuffling" (not sure how close it is to the original Shuffling, but it's fun).

Regardless of what everyone else is wearing, I'll always wear a suit (a 1990s pinstripe), a tie that is already beat-up with holes or impossible stains so I don't feel bad if I sweat, and the most important thing, the shoes, which are spectators, probably from the 1980s ("Basini" is the label, if this helps). It's much better-looking and practical compared to the untucked shirt or T-shirt with the No-Rise skinny jeans (how does one move in them?) and Converse (how does one dance in those things?).

Unfortunately, my shoes have seemed to lose their "slip", and I now need to put more effort into moving my legs. Is there a way to make them smooth again, or will I need to look for new shoes?

-Quetzal

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Some Loungers love to dance, especially those that were prominent in the Golden Age. There are no events in my area where music from the Golden Era or "retro" bands (such as Vince Giordano's) close by, so I adapt to the modern music that is played, which I'm sure many of you have also done (sure beats "grinding"). When it comes to dancing solo, I'm a wild man ala Al "Rubber Legs" Norman (yes, I can actually move just like him) from the late 1920s and the 1930s, and this style also seems to be in fashion with certain music groups, dubbed "Shuffling" (not sure how close it is to the original Shuffling, but it's fun).

Regardless of what everyone else is wearing, I'll always wear a suit (a 1990s pinstripe), a tie that is already beat-up with holes or impossible stains so I don't feel bad if I sweat, and the most important thing, the shoes, which are spectators, probably from the 1980s ("Basini" is the label, if this helps). It's much better-looking and practical compared to the untucked shirt or T-shirt with the No-Rise skinny jeans (how does one move in them?) and Converse (how does one dance in those things?).

Unfortunately, my shoes have seemed to lose their "slip", and I now need to put more effort into moving my legs. Is there a way to make them smooth again, or will I need to look for new shoes?

-Quetzal

What material are your shoes made of, (on the soles)? You can use some sand paper if it is fine (maybe some 300 grit) and spend some time lightly sanding the bottoms. If you get the soles feeling smooth, the use some clear wax polish on the leather, wax it really heavy and leave the shoes to dry for at least 12 hours...Buff that off and then do another thick coat of wax and let it dry for another 12 hours. After you buff it to a shine, you should spend some time buffing it some more. The wax should seal the sole, but you can only do this all with real leather soles.....if the soles are man made, rubber, etc., I do not know what else you could try to do.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
LuvMyMan; a very helpful and thorough response, but unfortunately they appear to be manmade. I may, however, try this technique.

Flat Foot Floey; I've actually tried this on another pair, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe I'll give your idea another shot.

-Quetzal

Claudio

Vendor
try applying talcum powder on a small corner of the dance floor and dip your feet in it every once in a while. I often go dancing and I feel that if you have leather soles, it isnt a problem even without the talcum (I havent been using talcum for 20yrs I think). It is important the dance floor is clean and preferably wooden. I feel its this that has an impact on the slipping and gliding rather than the shoe. I have shoes with rubber soles applied to the leather sole and work fine too.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah yes. Talcum powder. The nothern soul way.
The lindy dancers often use duct tape on their canvas sneakers. Like you observed they are not ideal for dancing otherwise.
I don't know how much this helps but I've seen it often.

Claudio

Vendor
The problem with talcum is that other dancers may frown upon it as it gets their shoes dirty or powdery as well (if you are not careful with dosing). So make sure you dip it on one side of the floor (however, it can quickly run out so not sure how much good it will do you - give it a try).
I still think that its the dancefloor that is important

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I think that they are Dancing Shoes, probably from the "Swing Revolution" in the early-mid 1990s (think "The Mask"). Mine are second-hand.

If they are dance shoes the soles will be made of compressed cardboard, which is why you must never wear them in the street, nor ever get them wet. Dance shoes gain a shine after a while, to bring the nap back, all you have to do is brush the soles with the sort of shoe brush that you would use on suade shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy