Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dapper Dogs?

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I am preparing to do a recruiting display of Dogs for Defense in WWII. I will be wearing Civvies with a German Shepherd in military collar and leash as though she was recruited for the military. As the DFD groups were mostly through kennel clubs, I will also take a poodle that will portray a pet that will not be enlisting.

Does anyone have any ideas what type if accesories (other than a DFD support tag) a pet dog in WWII US might sport?

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I have found lots of info on the military dogs. I have original training manuals, good photographic records, and even some original items from one of the trainers. The part that I am having trouble with is the pet dogs.
I was wondering if anyone has any info on civilian dog accessories. Since I will be taking a poodle, and the poodle clubs were very active in DFD fundraising, I think my wife should have a top-of-the line 1940's collar and leash for him.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Last edited:

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Are you still doing the Shore Patrol impression? I have some Coast Guard news release photos with dogs (and one with a pidgeon being released) that I have not seen in print anywhere.

It has amazed me how much military dog info I can find and how little info is around on civilian pet dogs.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Kiwilrdg,

I really just need the pre war rifle to do the impression. I have the Belgian Sheep dog and a setof whites that I can wear. But, until you posted I had neverheard of the civilian side of the dog thing during the war.

Mike

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
There is a good picture that I have seen on several sites and in books of 3 CG beach patrol sailors with dogs in whites with leggings and all 3 have different holster/belt combinations and no rifles.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Yeah, I looked at a CG pic and there were four coasties with dogs and all had .45's. Then there are others where they had a Thompson and one where they are jumping out of a boat with rifles. I assume there is a reason to the varied weapons-such as this is what you get-take it. I must admit an m-1 carbine would be great to have/display and then use to go plinking cans.

Mike

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I have a news photo of a CG sailor with a dog jumping out of some brush that has some decent detail of his leash. I also have 2 pictures of ship's dogs. One is with a litter of puppies and one is of the CG Dog of the Year. The dog of the year has an interesting collar with metal conchos. I will PM you.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I decided to just take the war dog since I couldn't find enough info on pet collars. I hope the link works for the photo.

300788_4045144446075_416572999_n.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Susan Orlean tells us about the moment America asked untrained household canines to make the ultimate sacrifice: to serve in World War II. Susan talks to Gina Snyder, who remembers being a teenager when her dog Tommy joined the service. And Susan digs into the national archives to learn the fate of other dogs that fought on the front lines. A version of this story appears in Susan’s book Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend. (20 minutes)

Web extra: here is a military dog use training video, and here is a War Department Film Bulletin, called "Use of War Dogs." (No sound on that second one.)

Podcast, photos and documents from this story:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/480/animal-sacrifice?act=1#play

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Podcast, photos and documents from this story:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...ice?act=1#play

Interesting viewpoint that differs from the trainers and handlers that I have interviewed. I have heard similar negative stories from the Vietnam era handlers that were not allowed to bring their dogs home. The WWII DFD dogs were sent home if the owners wanted them back and they had a better survival rate than human soldiers.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I served as a scout dog handler in Vietnam. At the time I was there the dogs were experiencing a disease called ideopathic hemorganic syndrome, we called it bleeder's disease. They were not sure how this disease was being transmitted nor how to treat it so no dogs were allowed to leave the country. It is my understanding that eventually a very few dogs were allowed to return.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I served as a scout dog handler in Vietnam. At the time I was there the dogs were experiencing a disease called ideopathic hemorganic syndrome, we called it bleeder's disease. They were not sure how this disease was being transmitted nor how to treat it so no dogs were allowed to leave the country. It is my understanding that eventually a very few dogs were allowed to return.
Thank you. As the caretaker of a modern retired war dog I am glad to hear that there is more than the usual explanation that the dogs were not valuable enough to bring back.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
If the truth was known, doubt if they would have been brought back anyway. A quarantine for medical reasons just made it a little easier to swallow.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
If the truth was known, doubt if they would have been brought back anyway. A quarantine for medical reasons just made it a little easier to swallow.
From what I read that sounds right. Working dogs today have it much better, so did the DFD dogs in WWII. It really surprised me when I saw how high the return rate was for the dogs that saw active service in WWII.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I know the dog I had would not have made a good civilian. After being wounded a couple of times and a very bad explosion concussion he became very unpredictable and moody. When he had a bad day a muzzle was useless--But on those days he was damned good at his job.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I know the dog I had would not have made a good civilian. After being wounded a couple of times and a very bad explosion concussion he became very unpredictable and moody. When he had a bad day a muzzle was useless--But on those days he was damned good at his job.

PTSD does have a lot of impact on dogs but when they are removed from the negative environment they sometimes make amazing recoveries.

It sounds like your old partner must have done a good job despite the difficulties he encountered (and the anguish he passed on to you).

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
PTSD does have a lot of impact on dogs but when they are removed from the negative environment they sometimes make amazing recoveries.

It sounds like your old partner must have done a good job despite the difficulties he encountered (and the anguish he passed on to you).
While in country I looked threw his records and found that he had belonged to a little girl in Stockton California and was donated to the military instead of being euthanized by the dog pound for being "over protective". I sent a Christmas letter to the girl with "Erics" picture on top of a tracked vehicle and received a very thankful response form her mother. Wish I had kept the
name and address. Her Eric produced volumes of stories that perhaps someday I will pen. (this thread has brought back a few good memories as well as bad)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner