Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark pants, light jacket

DerMann

Practically Family
What's the word on this combination? I know that a pair of light pants paired with a dark jacket accentuates height and downplays weight, but I don't think I've read anything about the opposite.

Today half of my trousers and jackets were at the cleaners, so I had a pair of dark brown cotton trousers and a 'natural' coloured linen sport jacket. Threw in a pair of cordovan brogues, white windowpane shirt, a reddish brown tie, and a brown fedora. Didn't turn out bad at all, in my humble opinion. If I were to say anything about it, though, it'd be that it looks a bit sporty. Not necessarily bad, just probably not appropriate for some situations.

If necessary, pictures will follow tomorrow when my camera finishes charging.

Edward

Bartender
Rather a practical combinatiion, imo - I find it much easier to keep a light jacket clean than light trousers....

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I think this combination is perfectly acceptable. Think of the cream dinner jacket with black tuxedo pants. You could probably mix navy pants with a cream, tan or other light colored jacket. The trick is to pick a color combination that is pleasing to the eyes.

As far as certain combinations making you look taller, thinner, thicker, etc, I think that while color helps, fit determines that more. Baggier, pleated pants with a form fitting shirt and jacket will make you look bottom heavy. The opposite will also be true, and certain colors/patterns will exaggerate that effect.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My 1932 alter ego approves.
3732077865_31e5822080.jpg

/hitting the ground running off a 5th Ave NYC bus in this Berenice Abbott pic
FifthAvenueCoachCo.1932.JPG

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've worn my linen jacket with gray and dark blue trousers. It's not a look I go for often, but I like it as an option.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars

Anyone who's seen this film will also possibly remember that in the 'jam session' sequence Benny Goodman's character is wearing a powder/baby-blue jacket with black pants, a shirt I believe to be ivory in colour, a rep tie with stripes that look to be cream/ivory/, and some shade of brown.

Don't know what anyone thinks of those, but I figured I'd chip in two cents worth.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Definitely nothing wrong with it. Especially in summer, when linen it jacket of choice for comfort. It's hard to find dark linen jackets, in my experience. Anyhow, just think about the fact that everyday, thousands of men wear black trousers, but not a black jacket. They wear blue, gray, tan, brown, and who knows what else. Every day. You are not alone!!!

Edward

Bartender
I can't find the original photo anywhere in colour, but I understand this action figure to be an accurate representation of the hues Elvis wore in that shot (from the cover of his debut album):

yhst-66400482594017_2062_7909638

Powder blue jacket, navy trews. This is a look I fancy replicating at some point, especially with a lighter fabric jacket for warm weather wear.

ETA: And, I notice on re-reaing this thread, it's pretty much identical to the jacket / trousers combo Tomasso has posted above.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
dakotanorth said:
DerMann said:
What's the word on this combination? I know that a pair of light pants paired with a dark jacket accentuates height
*snip*
It does? I thought it was the other way around?

I think what you have in mind is more in terms of general, basically matched attire. Dark slims you. But when top and bottom are dramatically different, the effects of light and dark are changed.

Dan D

Familiar Face
A summer ensemble

I think the dark trouser / light jacket combination affords a very smart yet casual outfit suited to the summer months: I've several jackets, including a great brown w/ blue overcheck from Racing Green, and a dark brown odd jacket in a lightweight cloth, each of which I pair with light linen in cream or tan and brown brogues for the summer; versatile, can be made more formal with a tie or more casual with a cravat / pocket handkerchief.

Inspiration comes, as usual, from 'Apparel Arts' illustrations, which I'll try to find and post.

Plus there's an interesting article here that's not too distantly related to this topic.

Dan D

Familiar Face
Images in support

1930sEsquire145.jpg

And the chap on the left here:
1930sEsquire142.jpg

Not sure about the wearing of a t-shirt in the first one, though...!

From a great thread on 'General Acoutrements & Attire' on here.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Nothing wrong with it, although personally I'd wear lighter shoes with it to balance out the ensemble, as in most of the photos.

Maguire

Practically Family
I have a really light gray jacket but i honestly don't like wearing sports jackets even though i have plenty- i like the idea of matching as best as i can. I might grab a white pants for it as it is light, summer wear, but thats about as far as i'd go. Thats not to say i don't think it can be done, i've seen it done nicely, its just not for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner