Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darn parrot!!!

Cat In The Hat

New in Town
I have a question for any of the hat makers on this site. My parrot took a bite into the brim of one of my hats. The material is all there, it's just bitten through. About an inch long gash. There is still 2 inches of good brim left. My two questions....

1. Can felt be repaired or do I need to just have this hat brim trimmed down now?

2. Can the whole thing be reblocked and sized to make a "new" hat with a 2" brim?

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Hat repair

Hello,

torn felt really can't be fixed. Cutting the brim down and reblocking might be your best choice. Maybe you can hide the tear under parrot feathers, teach that sucker to bite your brim!

Lorne D. Gilsig

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Polly wanna Stetson?

Sorry, that’s a bummer about your hat… if you have the better of 2 inches left, I’d cut it down a little and still have a swell lookin’ lid. 2” isn’t too bad… I have a couple of 2” brims around here and I think they’re ok… I go for wider but, it’s good to have a variety.

Good luck with the fixit job!... And next time, give the "bird" to the bird when it develops a taste for beaver fur! lol

FM~

Cat In The Hat

New in Town
Thanks for your comments. Actually, I hate to admit this, but this is the SECOND hat she's bitten. (I know, shame on me.)

anyway, the first one was a nice Christy's hat that I had to have cut down to a 1 1/2 inch brim after the bite. It was 'okay' but not great. I like stingy brims but this just didn't look right. But I just purchased a hat steamer last week and I took the bitten Christy's hat and steamed the brim and put a slight 'cowboy hat' roll in it. I must say, I LOVE it now!! It doesn't look like a western hat but it also doesn't really look like a fedora or anything else that I've seen. It's a one-of-a-kind hat now and I really think it looks cool. The short brim with a roll in it is great.

But.... pulling out a few feathers to teach that bird a lesson wouldn't be such a bad idea. lol

Mark G

A-List Customer
I can really really identify with your problem. Last month one of my rabbits (yes, rabbits, a long story) jumped up to snatch my Monticristi off a 4 foot knee wall and before I could get to it she had taken big bites out of the brim and the crown.

My wife was very sympathetic (she laughed and told me I shouldn't have put it there in the first place). Of course she was right, but I really didn't think the critter could jump that high. Oh well!

I've ordered a replacement from Panama Bob and you can be sure it will not end up on the knee wall.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mark G said:
Last month one of my rabbits (yes, rabbits, a long story) jumped up to snatch my Monticristi off a 4 foot knee wall and before I could get to it she had taken big bites out of the brim and the crown.

Hey, it could have been worse. Had it been a fur hat you could have had a bad case of cannibalism in the family. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou