Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Your Hat (A Place to Discuss the Age of Your Vintage Hat)

Purplesage

One Too Many
Thanks for all the help. I always thought that particular size tag was used prior to the 50s. Guess I was wrong. I do have an old Wormser I'm going to put on here. I'm pretty sure it's from the 30s or older. It is a beautiful black fedora with a raw edge. The ribbon looks like those I've seen from the period as well.

photos

DSC_0010.jpg
HI guys just bought a black homburg by a company called Glyn & Co London anybody have any info?
VM
here are pics of old hat
DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007-3.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

cant find Glyn & Co on the internet
VM

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! Can you tell me what style of hat is this? Is this a whippet?

Whippets usually had marked liners and/or sweats as far as I know. To boot, the most common iteration of the Whippet is the wide brimmed, bound edge model. Most model names are lost to history unless it's identified somewhere on a re-order tag.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Ah, okay. Thank you. The sewn over edge looked similar to a whippet to me. Thanks for the info!

That would be an edge treatment called a welted edge. In this case, since the felt is folded over, it's an overwelt. Likewise, you can probably surmise that folding the felt under results in an underwelt.

It's quite a common brim treatment that ends up on hats across many makers and many decades.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Can anyone care to guess the age of this Dobbs. It has a 3' brim and approximately 5 1/2 open crown. The Felt is thin and very
malleable. There was a rolled newspaper under the sweatband that dated April 1950. I figure it is older than that as who would buy a new hat too small. This is one that will go to Parker Melvin some day.
SANY0984.jpg

SANY0985.jpg

SANY0986.jpg

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Zoot suit material. Definitely has to be 40s. Even possibly late 30s: "Minnie the Moocher" singing, for example.
Zoot suit may be the word considering the big brim and the color. It is a burgundy or ox blood color--Don't have a clue what I would wear with it--but I like the hat so I will figure something out.
Maybe just wear it every Halloween.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic