Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David Morgan style chin straps

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Does anyone know of sources for a chin strip that works with the David-Morgan-style hooks?

The only one I can locate on their website is the braided leather, but it's a bit cowboy for me. Apparently I am just some hair shy of a size 60, because after a haircut my Snowy River was blowing off way too easy (fortunately several parking lot strangers were kind enough to lend a hand). This hat is from eBay, but originated with DM, so it has the hooks inside the brim.

I guess my other option is foam sizing tape, but since the hat already has the hooks I might like to try a chin strap ... plus that would allow me to have a hat for more windy conditions, when even a snug fit isn't enough.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Akubra

Akubra supplies a Downunder style chin strap that slips under the sweatband and hooks on the inside of the hat. However, I just looked at my SR and it doesnt seem to accomodate that style. I have poked a hole thru the brim and used whatever type of stampede strap I could find. Dont know that I recommend it tho.

wenestvedt

New in Town
Last weekend it was really windy and I didn't want my Akubra Cattleman to blow away while I watched my daughter's soccer game. So I threaded a length of thin, elastic shock cord around the back of the hat, in through those holes above the hat ribbon, and then down beneath the sweatband through the gaps in the stitching thoughtfully left there. I threaded each end through one of those pinch-to-open cinches, and...well, then the wind suddenly died. :7)

Worked like a charm, but I took it out when it looked too "cowboy' for me.

- Will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24