Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dayton Ohio Museum

vintageredhead

New in Town
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/uniforms/j1.htm
They have the best display of jackets, and uniforms and so much more!! Have any of you been there? You would love it-it's like stepping back in time. Take a look!! I am planning on going back next summer-my Uncle Milton volunteers there and I am hoping to get a 'backstage' pass!!! I will post pics when I do. (If I am not in jail for stealing a couple of those painted jackets!!!)
Enjoy!!
Karen/vintageredhead

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
vintageredhead said:
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/uniforms/j1.htm
They have the best display of jackets, and uniforms and so much more!! Have any of you been there? You would love it-it's like stepping back in time. Take a look!! I am planning on going back next summer-my Uncle Milton volunteers there and I am hoping to get a 'backstage' pass!!! I will post pics when I do. (If I am not in jail for stealing a couple of those painted jackets!!!)
Enjoy!!
Karen/vintageredhead
Karen, that place is like my Mecca! Growing up in Michigan, it was at least an annual thing to go down to Wright-Pat. Ever since I became an Air Force historian, I've been trying to get back there, hoping I can get a little deeper into the collection, i.e. in the planes. The best part for me is the hanger with the B-36 stretched out overhead. Man, I want to get inside that thing!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I need a thrashing

My brother in law is a caretaker of the collection there. Has keys to the whole place and all the hidden stuff. I'm NUTS about it all, and yet STILL haven't made the trip!

I should be horsewhipped!

Any time I have a question about what is authentic, I ask him.

If you only knew (from his telling) what that place has that is never, and will never be, seen...

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
My brother in law is a caretaker of the collection there. Has keys to the whole place and all the hidden stuff. I'm NUTS about it all, and yet STILL haven't made the trip!

What about planning an FL outing? We could meet up there some weekend when there's going to be a hanger dance (or plan our own) and dress up in our Class As!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Starters

I have a contact name there now. Does anyone in/near Ohio have any interest in trying to put together a FL event at the Wright-Patterson AFB Air Museum in Dayton before I make a call?

Michaelson

One Too Many
Don't beat yourself up, scotrace. I grew up just down route 52 from Dayton, and only went to the museum ONCE as a child, so you're not the Lone Ranger. Personally I'd suggest you consider doing this in Spring. Dayton is pretty raw weather wise this time of year, and won't be getting ANY warmer anytime soon.

Just a thought.

Regards! Michaelson

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Air Force Museum

I was just there last year o8 with some friends that live in Pennsylvania,we went there on a weekend and YES that place is AWSOME, I was there back in the late 80's and it has gotten much bigger and better to say the least, The jacket displays and some of the old patches are GREAT to see, the aircraft are some that you just won't see anywhere else and the condition of them all is well cared for!!! Anyone who gets a chance to get there will not be dissapointed as it is very much worth the visit, they also have the extended tour out to the hangers on the far side of the field, you need to call ahead for that part to make reservations for it. All I can say is GO if you can!!!!

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I'd be in for FL meeting there, depending on when. In fact, I would LOVE it. I have memorized their collection and have been going since I was a kid.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
I went there a few years ago in the Spring. The weather was pretty cool but the snow was gone. I was wearing an A-2 with the USAAF patch painted on the left shoulder and several guys asked me where they could get a jacket like mine. You really need to get there early to be able to see everything in one day. I really enjoyed the museum and planes parked outside. It kind of reminded me of the Navy museum in Pensacola but on a larger scale. Definitely worth the trip. I took a lot of pictures of planes, art, and jackets.

Ray

Tibor

One of the Regulars
"If you only knew (from his telling) what that place has that is never, and will never be, seen..."

Some nice Roswell souvenirs?...

I've been to the museum 3 times, but not for almost two decades now. I'd kind of like to go with my Dad. He went with me every other time. He wasn't a pilot, but he always enjoyed going. Not sure where I became such a flying fan, but always loved all things vintage military aviation.

I'd be interested in a FL gathering (gee, hope John gets my jacket done by then).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot