Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dealing with "Buyers Remorse"

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sigh... I went through my closet the other day, trying on this and that... eventually realizing that I've made a LOT of mistakes buying jackets (usually from the Bay) and wasted tons of precious time and treasure. I don't drink or do drugs... so there's no solace there. I've tried putting some of them back into "the great material stream" but that hasn't worked out too well. Several have gone to GoodWill or other charities... I just feel like such a maroon, an eeeediot... a ta ra ra goon di ay. Any suggestions as to how to cheer myself up? Short of buying another jacket I mean?

Worf

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Looks as if there's a lot more coming from Aero this April-ish, and I'm already suffering from buyers remorse! :eeek:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well I don't know if this will cheer you up, but look at it this way. Most people become experts on what to buy from buying the wrong thing. I've bought plenty of lemons over the years and have learned a lot from it. I can pass my knowledge from my mistakes on to my friends so they don't have to make at least as many bad purchases and I have. You end up making wise purchases in the future based on what you did both right and wrong from the past.

Besides in the end it's all "just stuff" anyway. Don't focus on the destination as much as enjoying the journey to get there.

fedoralover

schitzo

Suspended
my advice is get the mistakes the hell away from you asap and forget about em. Life goes on, and u have lots of good ones left to enjoy

IXL

One Too Many
A good education costs both time and money. Consider yourself well educated!! Many grads sell some of their old textbooks and some go through second hand outlets.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I recommend psychiatric help: Group Therapy for at least 90% of us, the greatest need directly linked to the number of posts made by each of us on the FL. :D
I also meant to say that anyone with greater than 3000 posts is beyond help. :pound:

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Try drinking and doing drugs, ha ha just kidding. It is all part of the price of being a fashionista. Donate the stuff you don't want to charity and feel good for helping people, then look at all the empty closet space you have to fill up and feel even better.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You've already "invested" the money into jackets, why not sell them on the bay and use the proceeds to buy other better choices?

Best of both worlds imo

GregO

One of the Regulars
Sigh... I went through my closet the other, trying on this and that... eventually realizing that I've made a LOT of mistakes buying jackets (usually from the Bay) and wasted tons of precious time and treasure. I don't drink or do drugs... so there's no solace there. I've tried putting some of them back into "the great material stream" but that hasn't worked out too well. Several have gone to GoodWill or other charities... I just feel like such an maroon, eeeediot... ta ra ra good di ay. Any suggestions as to how to cheer myself up? Short of buying another jacket I mean?

Worf

Keep calm, and outerwear on.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everyone has their hobbies, Worf. Some play music, some golf, surf, go skiing in winter, and so on. Some of us are into vintage clothing or hats or cool leather jackets (or option D, all of the above!). You don't drink or do drugs - so you're not hurting anyone, man. In fact, by sharing your experiences and your jackets here with us, you're contributing and encouraging and educating a lot of fellow-minded gents about what they think might be suitable for them to buy or wear. Don't feel bummed, we're all well acquainted with buyers remorse here. Along with the odd mistakes, you've sure got some darn fine winners in your wardrobe. Not only that, but you got a bit of your own unique style going on that just suits you to a T. So don't sweat the mistakes, we all got those, sell them or give them away and remember that they don't take away any of your natural class pal.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I've got a couple (5) that I could quite happily get rid of...it's the learning curve...
Live and learn...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Like a lot here I have done the same, and there are not enough days in the year to wear all my jackets to say "I've had my money's worth out of that" when it's time to get something new. Guess my worse purchase was a WWII RAF suit, think it was called a Sidcot? I saw a picture of Douglas Bader wearing this cool looking overall, had to have one and found a cheapish one in my size. When I got it home and posed in front of the mirror I imediately thought "What on earth possessed me to buy this?" I never wore it, had it for a year before I even looked at it again as I did not have a pre war motorcycle and was too bulky as a winter work overall.
Oh well, at least when I sold it I put the money towards something else, but I was a little more discerning if I wanted something to wear in future.

Plumbline

One Too Many
The world of the Leather Jacket buyer .... is a zero sum game. For every winner / keeper there is a loser / seller ..... I must have bought / sold 100's ( might even need another zero on that) of jackets in my 30 years collecting some amazing bargains for pennies ... others I've dropped a pile on only to discover that they're junk ( one "Buco J24" springs to mind ... which should have had an F instead of a B in Buco).

The beauty of a zero net sum game is that is all evens out Worf ..... move the bad ones on ( one mans junk is another mans treasure) and enjoy the game. The ultimate jacket is out there ... hope we all find it some day. In the meantime happy hunting.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Yeah, isn't it about time you moved that "Adventurer" along ? Let me know when it's likely to turn up on the AL sale page....

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Ah, c'mon, you only spent money on this, ok? Money, nothing else. Clean up the closet, get things to the bay or some charity, and then get yourself a nice, cool leather-jacket. Fight fire with fire, y'know.:)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
fedoralover said:
Most people become experts on what to buy from buying the wrong thing. I've bought plenty of lemons over the years and have learned a lot from it.
That's an extremely important point and something we should always remember or keep in mind. I've wasted several grand on expensive shoes over the past decade - expensive, but now I know what to buy and I won't waste money ever again on the "wrong" footwear.

I must've went through 50 jackets in my search for that ultimate one - that ain't that much I guess, but it's quite a sum for me - wasted way too much time, effort and worst of all money that I simply couldn't have afford to spend on it all, so much that I constantly have to lie about where did it go to my dear lady - and all for what? So that I'd look good to myself? Yeah, sometimes I feel like an idiot too... But also, before it all began, I was entirely unhappy with the way I was, way I looked and dressed, and now I've found the style that makes me feel good about myself. It may have cost me more than I'm willing to admit even to myself but for the first time in my life I'm leaving the house happy with the way I'm dressed, so... I don't know. Was it all worth it? Does any of it truly matters? I am a lot happier than I was before so as far as I am concerned, yeah, it was worth it...

Money's gone, what's done is done. There's really no point in looking back now as there's literally nothing you can do about it. But the way I see it Worf, if any of the purchases you've made made you happy, it was worth it. Had to be. If it's the leather jackets that make you happy, what else could you have possibly spend your money on? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff