Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Death on Ridge Road

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Here's a print I recently purchased from the Williams College art gallery in Williamstown, Mass....Grant Wood's 'Death on Ridge Road'...1935. The original was donated to the gallery by Cole Porter. Is everyone familiar with Grant Wood?.....'American Gothic'...Midwestern Regionalism art during the Great Depression. I was born and raised in the part of Iowa where he lived and painted...although I don't know where Ridge Road is. I can't wait to get it framed and hung on the wall.

ridgeroad.jpg

Ray George

New in Town
Quigley Brown said:
I was born and raised in the part of Iowa where he lived and painted...although I don't know where Ridge Road is. I can't wait to get it framed and hung on the wall.

ridgeroad.jpg

Hi Quigley,

I know this is an old post, but since I am new here, and just browsing the Fedora Lounge, looking for threads on Cole Porter, I came across your post.

I may have an answer to your question about where "Ridge Road" is...

Since Wood was from the midwest, I'm sure he ventured down south here to Indiana, and in the part of Indiana where I live, upper north west corner, U.S. Route 6, runs through Indiana. Now, in this particular area, it is known only as, "Ridge Road." It runs through Lake & Porter County Indiana.... Yes, it still runs through some pretty desolate areas, and has lots of winding turns and narrows down to a two-lane. Yes, there have been tons of deaths on Ridge Road... So, that might be your answer.

Do you still have the painting? I liked it a lot... And now you know where, Rigde Road is...

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ray George said:
Hi Quigley,

I know this is an old post, but since I am new here, and just browsing the Fedora Lounge, looking for threads on Cole Porter, I came across your post.

I may have an answer to your question about where "Ridge Road" is...

Since Wood was from the midwest, I'm sure he ventured down south here to Indiana, and in the part of Indiana where I live, upper north west corner, U.S. Route 6, runs through Indiana. Now, in this particular area, it is known only as, "Ridge Road." It runs through Lake & Porter County Indiana.... Yes, it still runs through some pretty desolate areas, and has lots of winding turns and narrows down to a two-lane. Yes, there have been tons of deaths on Ridge Road... So, that might be your answer.

Do you still have the painting? I liked it a lot... And now you know where, Rigde Road is...

i have to agree that us 6 in norhtwest indiana is indeed called ridge road. mainly becasue it runs along the continental divide known as the valparaiso moraine. all water to the north flows into the great lakes & then to the north alantic. all water to the south flows into the kankakee river, then to the mississippi to the gulf of mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valparaiso_Moraine

Ray George

New in Town
bruce wayne said:
i have to agree that us 6 in norhtwest indiana is indeed called ridge road. mainly becasue it runs along the continental divide known as the valparaiso moraine. all water to the north flows into the great lakes & then to the north alantic. all water to the south flows into the kankakee river, then to the mississippi to the gulf of mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valparaiso_Moraine

Hi Bruce,

That is very brilliant of you to point out, and reminds me of the great book I read a few years back by Kenneth J. Schoon, called, "Calumet Beginnings,"published by Indiana University Press in 2003. It goes into depth on exactly what you are refering to in your post, about the Valparaiso moraine.

Are you from this Northwest Indiana region, or have you visited here before?

Ray George

New in Town
bruce wayne said:
as a matter of fact, i live around the proverbial corner from you in jackson township.

thanx!!!
Charlie

Howdy Neighbor! lol

Your the first person here in FL I've come across who lives in
Da Region! Glad to meet you!

The book I mentioned is a "must read" for you then...

I've added you to my IM list, maybe we can chat some time...

All The Best...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner