Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent hat shop in DC area?

stealthboy

New in Town
I've been having a heckuva time finding a decent hat shop in the DC metro area. Most of the shops around here sell terrible quality hats in sizes like Medium and Large. you say you need a 58 or a 7 1/4 and they look at you funny.

Are there any *real* hat shops around here? I'm at a loss. My recent experience ordering a hat online has convinced me that ordering a hat without trying it on first is a difficult experience.

Thanks in advance!

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Indeed. I have had the same issues and know of none.

American Hatter use to be well recommended but alas I believe they are long gone. Might I suggest a trip to New York City? Three great shops I know of there and numerous others that I have never visited.

I was going to try and see what sort of furnishings William Fox and Co had over on 14th NW. I do admit my hopes are not high.

If you happen to actually find one, I am extremely interested.

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
skip the Hattery

stealthboy said:
Thanks! That's a great list.

stealthboy said:
Thanks! That's a great list.

Please avoid the GT Hattery. The guy who runs it is a shady operator who purportedly (couple of threads here on FL) wildly misrepresents his goods (e.g., saying fur felt is beaver).

In my pre-FL days, I had a hat reshaped [something I can now do myself. Thanks guys. ;) ] from a center dent to a tear drop. Took a couple of weeks to hear back from him only to find very sloppy work and no apparent concern when I brought it to his attention. The "fix" was still pretty much crap. I can only imagine the horror if I had wanted something really serious done.

My 2 cents, go elsewhere. A train ride to NYC would be much cheaper in the long run.

Hats by Haber is ok. The shop is the front/living room of her house so open limited hours & by appointment only. She has cats and the house smell reflects that. Okay prices, I guess.

Andrea's Fine Hats - again ok. I stopped in once a while back. Ok selection & prices.

Still, nothing amazing locally in term of hat shops.

stealthboy

New in Town
The Georgetown Hattery place would go in my bottom-tier hat shop list anyway - They sell mostly crap hats to people that think all hats are the same. To me, top-tier shops are run by folks who actually own hat blocks and can repair/make a hat. This is what I'm looking for, and sadly, that is a type of shop that is going away.

I was fortunate enough to go to a university in Pittsburgh in the 90's, so for many years I was local to Tucker & Tucker on 5th. That was a real hat shop, and I miss it dearly.

Thanks for the tips about a train ride to NYC - that makes a lot of sense. I was meaning to take a trip up there in a month or two anyway, so that sounds like a great plan.

Neil

A-List Customer
Absolutely nothing

Zero. Zip.
And I would second the fellow warning about Georgetown Hatters. Most of its stock is mediocre, and the owner misrepresented the quality of one of his hats to me. A simple check of the internet showed he was charging at least a hundred dollars more than the going rate, and wrongly claiming it to be pure beaver.
Since then, I've avoided him completely.

Hippodrome Hatters in Baltimore is decent for the lower end. As noted the DC area is a wash. As for vintage. I haven't really looked but my guess is there isn't much happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran