Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding on an Akubra...help please.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I have been looking to buy my first fedora for over a year now. I've always been a flat cap guy but love the look of a fedora. I rarely wear suits so I would be wearing it for casual wear and exclusively in fall/winter.

I am set on the Akubra. I would like a raw edge and I'm not too particular about it being an open crown or pre formed. I would really like it in green but brown, or gray(not the almost black shade) are also posibilities.

I am strongly considering the Fedora or the Adventurer(not the Fed) but would consider others. I don't see too much on the Adventurer and would like some comparison info. I am not considering the Fed or the Campdraft due to the size.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, sir!

If you're considering the Adventurer, note that David Morgan's site describes it as having a 3 1/8" brim, so the Federation and Campdraft, with 2 7/8" brims, would actually be less imposing.

The Fedora/Sydney has a much smaller brim, at about 2.5", and from pics I've seen, can certainly double as a dress hat. It comes in the brown you mention.

Akubra Fedora & Sydney are the same hats, I think.
They are considerably less brim than the Adventurer.
With over a 3" brim, I don't think the Adventurer is where you want to go.
That's more brim than a Campdraft.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Honestly I think you should reconsider the Fed and the Campdraft. New hat wearers can be intimidated by bigger hats because they're not so common anymore. I know it sure took me a while to adjust to wearing hats with more generous proportions. But I'm not a tall guy, and have a thin frame. If I can wear a Fed or an Open Road, you can too. The Fed IV I think is only about 1/8" taller than the Adventurer, and as others have pointed out already, the Adventurer actually has a wider brim.

Between the Fedora and the Sydney, they look basically the same, although David Morgan lists the Sydney as having a lightweight felt, and Hatsdirect shows the Fedora with a windcord. You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with either hat. I'd probably lean towards the Sydney, but only because I had a dog named Sydney.

MrAcheson

New in Town
The Adventurer is quite wide brimmed even compared to a Campdraft or Federation. The Sydney/Fedora is probably the way to go. I'd go with moonstone or one of the brown shades as carbon grey is very dark. You might want to look at the Stylemaster too. It's a very similar hat shape to the Sydney/Fedora, but with a bound brim and a pre-creased crown. It's availability might be a little better.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
Wow, I didn't realize the brim on the adventurer was wider than the fed and campdraft. I do really like the Fedora but one concern I have is some of the reviews say the bash doesn't stay too well because of how thin the felt is on the crown.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Wow, I didn't realize the brim on the adventurer was wider than the fed and campdraft. I do really like the Fedora but one concern I have is some of the reviews say the bash doesn't stay too well because of how thin the felt is on the crown.

Shouldn't be a problem that steam and/or stiffener couldn't fix.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
Honestly I think you should reconsider the Fed and the Campdraft. New hat wearers can be intimidated by bigger hats because they're not so common anymore. I know it sure took me a while to adjust to wearing hats with more generous proportions. But I'm not a tall guy, and have a thin frame. If I can wear a Fed or an Open Road, you can too. The Fed IV I think is only about 1/8" taller than the Adventurer, and as others have pointed out already, the Adventurer actually has a wider brim.Between the Fedora and the Sydney, they look basically the same, although David Morgan lists the Sydney as having a lightweight felt, and Hatsdirect shows the Fedora with a windcord. You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with either hat. I'd probably lean towards the Sydney, but only because I had a dog named Sydney.
Maybe I should rethink the Fed. I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs so I may be able to pull it off from a physique standpoint. I hqve worn a cowboy hat back in my 20s when I guided for an outfitter. Between the Sydney and the Fedora, I would go with the Fedora. I have already looked into the differences between the two. Also, I'm fine with ordering from Australia and waiting the 3 months in order to get what I want. I really have a strong preference for the green hats as I think it's more versatile. But the moonstone is very Sharp but looks a little dressier. My primary use will be casual.

MrAcheson

New in Town
The felt on my Sydney isn't especially thin, just very soft and pliable. I'd like to put a c-crown crease into it, but the raised center portion just won't stay up. So it's center dent instead which is fine.

Also it's my understanding that the only real difference between the Sydney and Fedora is the wind-string and perhaps color selection. But it's possible that burnt oak is the same as regency fawn, etc.

Edward

Bartender
The Federation and Federation Deluxe are the stand outs of the Akubra range, IMO. I am also very fond of the Campdraft, though not sure I'd recommend it as a first/ only fedora. It can certainly be styled as a Fedora, though it lacks a snap brim. Also not a raw edge. If looking for a green hat, there is the Squatter (or at least was, though Hats Direct only seem to have it in Steel Grey at present, and it has a bound brim).

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Really like my Adventurer,and it was my first fedora.Yes it's 3 1/8" front and back,but the sides are 2 3/4".Of course I don't care for anything under 2 1/2".But that's just me.

frussell

One Too Many
Campdraft can be found in green, and is easily styled as a fedora. The edge binding actually helps it to have a "snap brim" of sorts. I love mine, and if you're a bigger guy, you'll pull it off fine. Second choice definitely the Fed IV from Hatsdirect. Frank

Last edited:

maduro 5

A-List Customer
Campdraft can be found in green, and is easily styled as a fedora. The edge binding actually helps it to have a "snap brim" of sorts. I love mine, and if you're a bigger guy, you'll pull it off fine. Second choice definitely the Fed IV from Hatsdirect. Frank
Any idea where it can be found in green?

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Not to cofuse the issue, but have you thought about the Akubra Stylemaster? It does have a 2 1/2 inch brim that is bound and comes pre bashed. I am 6' 205 lbs and wear a size 48 jacket and the hat works well for me. I do not get to wear a suit much and use mine for both casual and dress. It does come in green too. John Helmer Hats at johnhelmer.com carries it in green. I also have the Fed IV in Tawney and Brown. Both are great hats, but I find myself grabbing the Stylemaster more.

Good luck on your decision.

Kirk

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
Not to cofuse the issue, but have you thought about the Akubra Stylemaster? It does have a 2 1/2 inch brim that is bound and comes pre bashed. I am 6' 205 lbs and wear a size 48 jacket and the hat works well for me. I do not get to wear a suit much and use mine for both casual and dress. It does come in green too. John Helmer Hats at johnhelmer.com carries it in green. I also have the Fed IV in Tawney and Brown. Both are great hats, but I find myself grabbing the Stylemaster more.

Good luck on your decision.

Kirk

I have considered the stylemaster. The pics on the websites make the crown look like they have quite a taper. I know the sydney is very close which is why I was looking at that one over the stylemaster since it has the cut edge. It's a tough decision. I wish there were some photo galleries to look through of people wearing the hats. I have to scroll through hundreds of posts to find a few pics it seems.

job

One Too Many
I Googled each of these hats and found a lot of pictures.
Here I am in a acorn fawn Stylemaster.

DSCN0680-1.jpg
hatssept242011034-1.jpg

Last edited:

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I Googled each of these hats and found a lot of pictures.
Here I am in a acorn fawn Stylemaster.

DSCN0680-1.jpg

That looks way different(read better) than the standard hat shot on the websites selling that hat. Ok, more things to consider. I think I'm going to have to just get to the point where I make a decision and stick with it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
That looks way different(read better) than the standard hat shot on the websites selling that hat. Ok, more things to consider. I think I'm going to have to just get to the point where I make a decision and stick with it.

Arm's length shots can be deceiving with regards to dimensions and taper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran