Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding on an Akubra...help please.

m0nk

One Too Many
Well, the Fed IV block is a vintage Akubra block that most closely resembled the block used by Steve Dell for the Indy IV hat.
Gotcha, thanks for filling in one of the gaps in my info. I always seem to get half the picture, and a lot of fandom speculation, on COW. :D

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
Well, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Federation IV since I think I may have the money together now. The only decision is the color. I think moonstone is sharp but I'm thinking for an almost strictly casual fedora I'm going to go with the brown. I Just wish it came in a lighter shade and had a black ribbon.

Moonstone goes good with blue jeans, khakis, navy blazer/gray slacks, all the way to charcoal gray, pinstripe suits. IMHO
Now I've had mine customized a touch, but it is a good all-around lid.
I tend to wear more blues & grays than browns.
To cover the spectrum, I'd go Moonstone & a Silverbelly.
I get enough Indy comments with a Moonstone...
Photo-0101.jpg

tealseal

A-List Customer
Well, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Federation IV since I think I may have the money together now. The only decision is the color. I think moonstone is sharp but I'm thinking for an almost strictly casual fedora I'm going to go with the brown. I Just wish it came in a lighter shade and had a black ribbon.
Which grade, Imperial or Deluxe? The brown is very Indy-brown, but did you check out the fawns? I have the Imperial grade Fed IV in tawny fawn and it's a quite nice shade of earthtone brown that you might find attractive.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
Which grade, Imperial or Deluxe? The brown is very Indy-brown, but did you check out the fawns? I have the Imperial grade Fed IV in tawny fawn and it's a quite nice shade of earthtone brown that you might find attractive.
I wish I could get the deluxe but the imperial is pricey enough for my budget. I saw some of the fawns pictured but they looked really tan. Or, is that just the way they show up online?

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
Moonstone goes good with blue jeans, khakis, navy blazer/gray slacks, all the way to charcoal gray, pinstripe suits. IMHONow I've had mine customized a touch, but it is a good all-around lid.I tend to wear more blues & grays than browns.To cover the spectrum, I'd go Moonstone & a Silverbelly.I get enough Indy comments with a Moonstone...
Photo-0101.jpg
I think the moonstone is a great color. I wear earth tones and blues/blacks which is why I'm trying to figure the most versatile color to get. Only one hat is feasible for me right now.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think the moonstone is a great color. I wear earth tones and blues/blacks which is why I'm trying to figure the most versatile color to get. Only one hat is feasible for me right now.

I would say moonstone is probably the most versatile, followed by fawn.

DougC

Practically Family
After following this thread, I'll probably pull the trigger on a brown FedIV--but, I'm looking for the Indy look for this purchase.

navaja

New in Town
I read the comment on the brim size of the Adventurer, available from David Morgan. It says "the raw edge brim is 3-1/8 inches on the front and back, 2-3/4 inches on the sides." The 2-3/4 works really well and I enjoy the extra brim on the front and back. It is a nice rich brown color and I think it is the best fedora one can buy from David Morgan. The top is pliable, but not so soft as to not be able to form a bash. On one very important note, it is now available in Black. I don't believe it is listed yet on their site, however I spoke with them over the phone about a month ago and they said they were going to start selling them in black. I was there yesterday, in Bothell purchasing a few Snow River hats for my wife and a Panama Fedora; I mentioned to them about the black Adventurer, and they let me know the truck just came in and they were unloading the delivery. I asked if I could get one and they went ahead and sold me a really nice Akubra Adventurer in black. It is very stiff, it seems stiffer than the brown one. It is a very nice hat, so that may be one, instead of or in addition to the Fed that you might be interested in.

EggHead

Practically Family
I have a Sydney and Campdraft (and 2 other more western Akubras).
Sydney is hard to crease because it's so soft and its crown is pretty short to work with and I just don't wear it anymore as I have other hats. I bought it initially because I wanted a packable hat and it can be to a degree.
Campdraft I wear on a regular basis when walking in the park or dressing more casually for work i.e Fridays jeans and a jacket. It also has a good height crown and can be creased to tear-drop or diamond or any other less height demanding creases.

Lear

One of the Regulars
How will it go down in London?

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm liking the look of the Akubra Federation IV Deluxe. Problem is, I've never worn anything other than a baseball cap - and that was many years ago. In the UK (London), it's not something you come across every day. Wondering if I'll order it from Australia, plop it on my head, scream, take it off... leave in cupboard until the end of time.

I can't even try it on first. Also wondering if there are some men who should NEVER consider a fedora... ever! Hoping that I'm not one of them. Anyway, below is the FQHH coat I'd be wearing it with. It's more car coat than Indy jacket. I have no interest in Indy films, historical accuracy, or trying to look like the man himself.

What are the odds that on my first outing, someone will scream INDY! How does it go down in London? I know that many will say, "just wear what you want", but a fedora is SO FAR from my usual style, I just don't know.

Sorry, no other self pics other than this:

Lear

4.jpg

... Anyway, below is the FQHH coat I'd be wearing it with. It's more car coat than Indy jacket. I have no interest in Indy films, historical accuracy, or trying to look like the man himself.

What are the odds that on my first outing, someone will scream INDY! ...

My guess is 100% chance you will get an "Indy" comment first time out...especially wearing any leather jacket.
Those that will call you Indy have no particular knowledge that your leather jacket is or is not one like his. It doesn't matter.
I get "where is your whip" comments with a thin-ribboned Open Road & a sport coat.

Brimmed hats are not for everybody. You seem way too anxious about what other's will say or think.
You wear the lid for you, not for others....JMHO

Last edited:

Lear

One of the Regulars
My guess is 100% chance you will get an "Indy" comment first time out...especially wearing any leather jacket.
Those that will call you Indy have no particular knowledge that your leather jacket is or is not one like his. It doesn't matter.
I get "where is your whip" comments with a thin-ribboned Open Road & a sport coat.

Brimmed hats are not for everybody. You seem way to anxious about what other's will say or think.
You wear the lid for you, not for others....JMHO

Wow! So it really does happen.

It's not just the look that appeals, but if I wear the FQHH with a wide brimmed hat, I'll be able to leave the umbrella at home. FQHH is now my choice as rainwear.

The anxiousness is all down to insecurity on my part :)

m0nk

One Too Many
Yeah, I've worn my moonstone Fed IV (which has a brim trimmed to 2 3/8" all around) and a suit and still got the Indy comments. Personally, I'd rather be called Bogie or something there-abouts, but most people these days don't remember Bogart the way they remember Indy...

However, I've been wearing a fedora for long enough, and regularly enough, that comments don't phase me.

It's not just the look that appeals, but if I wear the FQHH with a wide brimmed hat, I'll be able to leave the umbrella at home. FQHH is now my choice as rainwear.

I only do umbrellas on the golf course. My go-to rain hat is a Fed4. Akubras love the wet.
I like having both my hands free with a hat in the rain as opposed to having to wrangle an umbrella with one.
There are cheap crushers out there for rain hats, fortified with Scotchguard, before forking out the coin for a Fed4.
At least you won't have a lot tied up in the cupboard if you are too self-conscious.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I say that in the U.K. you'll have to be bold, because I get the impression there is less fedora-wearing there than here in the U.S. As to whether you'll wear it or park it, it all depends on how that particular hat looks on you. I've seen 'em look good on people in this forum, and look not so good. The bad news is that it's very hard to know unless you put it on and look in the mirror. The good news is that there is probably a good-looking fedora for everyone. There are just too many kinds to even inventory them here. That turns out to be part of the fun of the hat search, whether you're buying new or buying vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy