Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decisions, decisions? Do you match your hat to anything?

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Well, I got me a pair of chocolate brown chukka boots this weekend (and parenthetically, Allen Edmonds shoe bank is wonderful. They had a sale on Brooks Brothers shoes and Ralph Lauren, and AE makes their shoes or some of them. The BB Park Avenues are slightly different in that the sole has a rubber toppy at the forefoot and a combination heel, but AE seconds run $219, full retail is $335 and I got the BB Park Avenues for $129. The Ralph Laurens sell on that site for $525.00, and the box the chukkas came in said $335, and I paid $129)

Anyway, I wore them and wondered, do some of you men wear hats to match the overcoat or winter coat? Or the color of the suit? Do you take shoe color into account?

Feraud

Bartender
I never use the word match but try to compliment my daily outfits and accessories.
To begin with the brown chukka boots mentioned I'll try and compliment it with earthy tone fabrics and similarly brown-ish/warm toned fedora or better yet a tweed cap!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
do some of you men wear hats to match the overcoat or winter coat? Or the color of the suit? Do you take shoe color into account?
I make sure the hat works in harmony with the entire ensemble. I generally start with the suit I'll be wearing and add on (shoes, shirt, tie, scarf, gloves....) until I top it off with the right color lid.

Edward

Bartender
Overall coordination. I've been known to dress to a particular hat I really want to wear - or particular shoes.

Ande1964

Practically Family
I try to break things down to either earthy tones (browns, greens, silverbelly, etc.) or grey tones (including blacks). That's about it. Sometimes it starts with the shirt. Sometimes the pants. Sometimes I just really want to wear a certain hat, and it goes from there.

I've gone so far now as to have two different watches (one silver and one gold/brown) and different overcoats (one brown and one black. I've also been buying dress shoes in both palettes.

Anj

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Never. Nothing goes with a Campaign hat, or everything, so I don't worry about it. I try to avoid wearing it with my A-2 repro jacket...I really don't like the "Oh, here's Indy" stuff. Never have.

dean

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I tend to wear the gray and black hats with black, blue or gray. I have a few more hats and clothing in the earth tone range, but I don't currently have a brown leather jacket to wear with the Stetson Temple.

Later

Dronak

Familiar Face
I don't have too many hats, which also means not too many choices for attempting to match or complement what I wear. It's not something I think about too much though. My hats are only shades of black, gray, and tan though, which I think are fairly neutral and go well enough with almost anything I'm likely to wear. I think I pay more attention to the weather than color. For example, I might want one hat if it's particularly sunny, but another if it's likely to rain.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
This is way over my head. I just look at 'em, on a case by case basis, and decide if it's indicative of what I want to express when I leave the house. I do, however, tend to think along the lines of something I believe alanfgag stated awhile back "color before style."

Matching what?

To quote a former engineering colleague, "Form must follow function."

So, first, I try to be sure it matches my head. Here in New England we must consider the weather, so that is always my second concern. And then, yes, COLOR before style. However, too close a match can seem like we're trying TOO hard. That only works for uniforms, which is great (much easier decisions) if that's you normally wear.

gqmagic

One of the Regulars
I'm going through this some what now after picking up a Tobacco (Camel) color coat.

here are my choices, I won't name my favorite just yet, though its one I've thought about for awhile.
25422C2E-64DB-42AE-9DBD-69D6A9828CD4-2460-000004DCB3115680_zpsf23818ce.jpg

8B0D8B7D-633C-479C-823B-C586AB6F661D-2460-000004DD927B841A_zpsd1243008.jpg

7C59EE24-9664-4766-9AB1-787581DDF1C5-2460-000004DD53A1F7DB_zpsb4524adc.jpg

3618BCBF-79CB-4A49-9AF0-D19AB62FDBCB-2460-000004DD3ECE41F6_zps44e0642c.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Midnite for me too. A felt with some green in it would work for me too.

Not that I know, I just wear the hat I feel like wearing :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran