Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decline of the Blue Box

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
They are icons of the American mail service, but they may be about to go the way of the Pony Express.

In villages, towns and cities across America, residents are waking up to find the familiar blue mailbox at the end of the road is gone.
In the past 20 years, more than half of America's mailboxes have been taken out of service, leaving just 175,000 nationwide.

From this BBC article.

_46217952_collection_smithsonian.jpg

LD

They are very hard to find. It used to be that out front of the supermarket would be a mailbox so you could pop those bills and letters in while food shopping. As something most do on a semi-regular basis 9food shopping, the mailbox was convienient when close by.

However, in dealings with the government it seems that not much is convienient these days.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Very sad. It won't be long before the letter carrier is a thing of the past as well. :( Along with bundles of letters and boxes of photographs stashed in the attic.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think the letter carrier is fairly safe for the time being. Some one has to get the mail to residences, and the mail delivering robots are still being worked out ;)

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd never thought about this till you mentioned it -- we have a box on the corner in front of the theatre, and I use it frequently, and it never would have occured to me that they were endangered. But I rode around for a bit on my bike this afternoon -- and that one on the corner, and the two in front of the post office are the only boxes I saw. There used to be one on every block, as recently as a few years ago, but now just three downtown. There's a few others on side streets, but they;ve been turned into those "Not For Deposit Of Mail" green boxes. So it's not just an urban thing -- the boxes are disappearing in small towns as well.

When I was a kid I loved to look at the dates on the sides of the mail boxes -- at that time most of the ones you'd see on the average street dated to the forties or fifties, and you might find one of those old cast-iron pole boxes dating back to the twenties or earlier. Yet another childhood pastime lost to progress...

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
I think the letter carrier is fairly safe for the time being. Some one has to get the mail to residences, and the mail delivering robots are still being worked out ;)

LD

Yep, safe and trustworthy...:D

2584174182_ffd5c24905.jpg

Flivver

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
When I was a kid I loved to look at the dates on the sides of the mail boxes -- at that time most of the ones you'd see on the average street dated to the forties or fifties, and you might find one of those old cast-iron pole boxes dating back to the twenties or earlier. Yet another childhood pastime lost to progress...

I had forgotten about the dates on the sides of mailboxes! I also loved checking those out on every mailbox I saw as a kid. In our town, the sewer grates also had dates on them. But I never saw a date earlier than 1937...about the time my neighborhood started to be developed.

Does anyone remember when the USPS changed the color of mailboxes from army green to blue? I seem to remember it was around 1956-57. I was disappointed by this change because I had a toy bank in the form of a mailbox that was painted green.

jayem

A-List Customer
Maybe the Chicago suburbs are unlike the rest of the US... but there's still plenty around here. In fact, there's one right down the street from me.... and about 10 more in my immediate neighborhood.

My friend refuses to put bills in her home mailbox because she was taught it's not the job of the mailman to take your mail for you, just to deliver it. My argument for that was... why the little red flag then? Anybody know more about this?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Flivver said:
I had forgotten about the dates on the sides of mailboxes! I also loved checking those out on every mailbox I saw as a kid. In our town, the sewer grates also had dates on them. But I never saw a date earlier than 1937...about the time my neighborhood started to be developed.

Does anyone remember when the USPS changed the color of mailboxes from army green to blue? I seem to remember it was around 1956-57. I was disappointed by this change because I had a toy bank in the form of a mailbox that was painted green.

I remember when mailboxes, at least around here, were the current blue, but with red on the curved top part.

As far as mail carriers, theyre not goign anywhere but someone oughta teach em how to wear their uniforms. They look like slobs, shirts unbuttoned and hanging out.

His little red flag.

jayem said:
... why the little red flag then? Anybody know more about this?

THe red flag was used by the postman to indicate that there was mail in the box, he had delivered. If you lived in a rural setting the mailman delivered only at the street not to your home. If you did not ive too far away from the street you could see the flag up and know the mail was in and get it instead of wasting a trip to check.

I ws told that they don't do that anymore because it wastes too much time and something about your privacy as it tells the mail thieves "come and get it!"

Jack Armstrong

Familiar Face
Flivver said:

I do, and I think you're right about the date. I always thought the new color scheme looked gaudy. In my town, at least, they were red, white and blue in three horizontal bands from the top down. The all-blue boxes didn't come till much later.

C

csmiller

You have mail ...

John in Covina said:
THe red flag was used by the postman to indicate that there was mail in the box, he had delivered. If you lived in a rural setting the mailman delivered only at the street not to your home.

Don't know if this holds true everywhere, but in my rural area you put the red flag up if you want the mailman to *pick up* a letter that you are mailing (or to pick up a misdirected piece of mail that he delivered to you). If the red flag is not up, anything in the mailbox just sits there.

Craig

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
csmiller said:
Don't know if this holds true everywhere, but in my rural area you put the red flag up if you want the mailman to *pick up* a letter that you are mailing (or to pick up a misdirected piece of mail that he delivered to you). If the red flag is not up, anything in the mailbox just sits there.

Craig

No, thats true, and how it was in my, and many other neighborhoods with street side mail boxes. The mailman would ride up, deposit/take the mail, lower the flag, and go on to the next cluster of boxes a few meters down the road.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran