Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decline of the Clarinet?

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I was listening to some old big band and swing. I noticed that the clarinet was featured more prominately in the music. Newer bands don't seem to use one at all. Instead they are heavy on the trumpet and sax. Why the change?

Chad

I think it has to do with the supply of clarinet players who are professional grade. When is the last time you have heard a really, really good clarinet player live? It is not exactly the sexiest instrument out there. :p
This does not mean that when played right it isn't a superb addition to any piece of music. It just has that connotation of being the instrument the nerd played in school. ;)

Regards to all,

J

D

Deleted member 259

I had a lot of friends who played it in highschool, but its not the sort of thing you aspire to be first chair for.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Actually, this is not a new phenomenon. The clarinet as the lead instrument is unique to the big band era of the 30’s and 40’s. In the late 40’s the trumpet began to take on a much larger role in jazz music thanks to artists such as Armstrong and Gillespie. The sax began its dominance in the late 50’s and 60’s and is still the preferred instrument for jazz (though I’m partial to the trumpet). There are several factors as to why. One is the change in society. The clarinet (in the jazz setting) is usually a very lighthearted or soothing instrument. It has a very innocent sound. This “fit� the mood of the day. Though there was the depression, it was still a lighthearted and innocent time and people used the music (and thus the sound of the music) as an escape (remember, there was no T.V.). An edgy, in your face trumpet or sax just wouldn’t be the same (even though there were many great songs that featured those instruments). Even the trombonists of the day had a very mellow sound most of the time. After the war, attitudes changed and therefore the music changed. It became livelier, faster and edgier. It had a “kick� to it. When the rock and roll era hit, it changed even more and pushed the clarinet out of the forefront almost completely. Fast forward to today and the clarinet is not even considered a “jazz instrument�, even though it was one of the first. It is seen as a “girl’s� instrument, and most girls are not interested in jazz music (sorry to offend anyone but it is the truth – trust me, I know). And so, you have very few, if any, jazz clarinetists today. There is not a lack of clarinet players, just a lack of players willing to do that kind of music. This is a crying shame. The clarinet can add so much to a good jazz composition. Heck, even modern transcriptions of classic big band songs have saxes or trumpets playing the clarinet parts.

As a side note, the past three years I have had a clarinet play in my high school jazz band. They also play the sax on pieces in which there are no clarinets. The clarinet players have ASKED me to let them join (all girls too). They hear the great Goodman and Herman songs and want to join in on the fun. I make it a point to either find arrangements that hold true to the original scoring or arrange it myself.

BD Jones
Your friendly, neighborhood Band Director

hmmm... That is very interesting. Being on the forefront due to your position, I am sure what you say is true.
On the other hand, all you need is some rap "artist" to use clarinet music in one of his songs and the clarinet will become popular again. Makes sense because they steal bits of music from all kinds of other genres anyway. :p

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
The Clarinet is one of my favorite instruments. I play that liquorish stick and love the sound and versatility of it. Goodman was my inspiration for picking it up. Later, I discovered Artie Shaw and Woody Herman. They played very well and fronted the band all the time. Artie Shaw was known as “The King of the Clarinet�! There are a few songs that almost bring a tear to my eye when I hear it. One of them is “Memories of you� played by Benny Goodman’s Sextet. Oh man, the sound is so smooth and beautiful it’s very lovely! There is so much emotion I can feel in that song.

The Clarinet was a big part of the Jazz age in the 20’s and 30’s. Most early Jazz records I have on 78rpm had a Clarinet in it. It played a big part in Dixie Land styles as well. The best combo of Dixie Land Jazz is a Trombone, Clarinet, Trumpet, Guitar, Drums and Ukulele or Banjo.

The big band Clarinetists that I know of are as fallows:

Benny Goodman,

Artie Shaw,

Woody Herman,

Jimmy Dorsey, (who played sax as well)

Charley Barnet, (who also played sax)

There are others, but I’ll have to do some more thinking.

As a side note, most if not all Sax sections in big bands or jazz groups knew the Clarinet! My music teacher told me that if I learned the Clarinet, the sax would be very easy to pick up!

If any one hear heard any Dean Mora’s recordings, you’ll hear plenty of Clarinet solos! It’s not just for girls who play with it at Band Camp… Draw your own conclusions.

Root.

bennygoodman377st.jpg

artieshaw46cf.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Any list of great clarinetists also has to include the guys from the Ellington band - folks like Barney Bigard, Jimmy Hamilton, and Russell Procope. Duke always featured prominent clarinet parts, even with all the star talent he had in his brass sections...

I have long wondered about the near-disappearance of the clarinet as a solo instrument in jazz myself. I've never come up with a good reason, apart from the primacy of the saxophone - which a clarinet player can switch to pretty easily - the trumpet, and the piano. Also, the postwar period saw the rise of other solo instruments, notably the electric guitar and flute, which seemed more current than the old-school clarinet.

Still, a well-played clarinet has a warm vocal quality that is unique and very moving. I really don't understand why it went out of fashion... (And yeah, I played clarinet for while when I was a kid, until I got braces.)

db5zx

Familiar Face
I am a tenor sax player, but - unlike other - never played the clarinet. I like the sound of it, but it just isn't my kind of instrument. Just recently I witnessed a great concert (here in Berlin, Germany) by Andrej Hermlin and his Swing Dance Orchestra. www.swingdanceorchestra.de Actually, they were performing Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert. It was great and really authentic. Special Guest was Dan Levinson from New York. He is one of the best current Jazz clarinet players, if not THE best (Dan Levinson

Jens

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Goodman and Dorsey are who I was listening to when I posted that. I love the sound it makes and think its about time it makes a comeback.

Chad

Michaelson

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Wldroot, I want a suit and a pair of glasses like Goodman's

Regards to all,

J

All you have to do is prowl around antique stores for the glasses. I picked up a pair of NOS 12k gold filled wires just like Goodmans last month for less than $15. I have them for back ups to my OTHER two pairs I wear that I bought the same way, and just had my current perscription bi-focals installed. Very comfortable glasses too!

They're out there, if you poke around!

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
All you have to do is prowl around antique stores for the glasses. I picked up a pair of NOS 12k gold filled wires just like Goodmans last month for less than $15. I have them for back ups to my OTHER two pairs I wear that I bought the same way, and just had my current perscription bi-focals installed. Very comfortable glasses too!

Sounds good. I will PM you my address to send them to. :p ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran