Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decorating a WW2 themed room.

Justin B

One Too Many
Just what the title says. I've got a living area in my house that I want to decorate with a WW2 military theme. My roommate and I are avid wargamers so the center piece of the room is going to be a 6'x4' table that I'm building. We're also building a homemade margarita machine that looks like an atomic bomb. I'd like some ideas on other things I could do to the room keeping in the theme.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Have you considered bomb damage? I understand a lot of homes had that in WWII. If that's a bit extreme, you might consider getting one of those old Philco stand up radios. For a fairly accurate representation of the typical American home during WWII, rent the film A CHRISTMAS STORY and look at the interiors of Ralphie's house.

Justin -- It's always nice to know another wargamer. If you want to go for the field headquarters look you might try wood paneling that resembles ammo and ration crates to simulate field expedient construction.

J.W.

A-List Customer
Depending on how high your rooms are, you might have a go at the Reichskanzlei. But that only works with really, really high ceilings.

A large map of Europe or the Pacific area on the wall, a desk with radio equipment, bunk beds, a couple of lockers. I had the idea with the bomb-damage, too.

Justin B

One Too Many
a what?????

Yea, it's a margarita machine that is then skinned to look like an A-bomb. I'll post up pictures as we build it.

Justin -- It's always nice to know another wargamer. If you want to go for the field headquarters look you might try wood paneling that resembles ammo and ration crates to simulate field expedient construction.

That's a thought. I had originally thought I would build a couple crates to use as end tables. Hadn't thought of doing it as wall panelling.

Depending on how high your rooms are, you might have a go at the Reichskanzlei. But that only works with really, really high ceilings.

A large map of Europe or the Pacific area on the wall, a desk with radio equipment, bunk beds, a couple of lockers. I had the idea with the bomb-damage, too.

No tall cielings unfortunately. I like the idea of the map. We'd already talked about finding some old radio shells to hide the modern sound system equipment in. Not really thinking bomb damage as this is more a Field HQ theme rather than a civilian living room.

X of tape on each window pane to minimize flying glass.

Good thought.

Perhaps buy a Morrison Shelter as a coffee-table. Or potentially, make your own.

Not really going to be space for a coffee table, but maybe I could integrate some of the look into the gaming table I'm building.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Dad lived in tents, an actual native grass hut on Wallis Island, and in a pylwood barracks on Guadalcanal. Of course, pylwood walls will make the place hard to sell. He also had a grass mat to keep the bugs off the bed. I have it, but I'm not sure how it worked.

Later

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
The entrance to your lair should be layered in filled sandbags. If there are windows, sandbag around the outside of 'em also. You'll be the talk of the neighborhood. :) Maybe run some communication line across the ceiling, but hook era appropriate phones to the lines. No cell phones, make people call in the hard way. Which won't work. And they'll leave you alone.

Edward

Bartender
Are you looking to have a room that has a novelty WW2 theme, or that actually looks like a military room from WW2? It's very easy to go the novelty route (think those folks on provincial news shows who have "turned their house into a real fifties home!" - specifically, the set from the diner in Happy Days), or a true period look? Either is perfectly valid if that's what you want to do, but two very different beasts. Personally, I'd be looking at the latter. For inspiration, I'd look to the Cabinet War Rooms in London - one of the big boardrooms, or those rooms you always saw in films with them pushing things round a big map, would be ideal for what you have in mind. Other things I'd look at for inspiration are Doctor Strangelove and M*A*S*H (in particular, Henry Blake / Sherman Potter's office) - both set post WW2, f course, but military decor hadn't exactly moved on much by then. A period style hat and coat stand in the corner with some jackets hanging on it might be a nice touch, especially if you collect flying jackets or uniform tunics or whatever would be a fit with the games you play.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Depending on whether you're doing British or American-style WWII, you might also want...

A Brodie helmet with "ARP" on it (for "Air Raid Precautions) and a metropolitan-style police-whistle (for gettin' them slow ones down into the shelter quick-smart!).

You'll also need, along with the stirrup-pump and the water, a bucket of sand for dousing incendiary bombs which would otherwise explode if doused with water.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
But, Melissa... They won't be able to post photos without violating the FL TOS... If it's going to be authentic to WWII, every square inch will be cover with pinup art!

Good point! You have to have at least one Betty Grable picture there somewhere, the classic swimsuit pose, of course

1943.jpg

You can still have tasteful pinups

1930artdeco

Practically Family
If you do this correctly with the sandbags, camo net etc....people will think you are crazy and leave you alone which can be a good thing. Post pics when you are in progress and done.

Mike

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy