Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEEP Ribbons.

Edward

Bartender
This fellow may be familiar to some:

1709934467152.png

Mr Dave Vanian of The Damned, the first of the acknowledged English punk bands to get to vinyl, beating even the Pistols. Dave has always been the best dressed man in punk rock - and the only man I've ever known who dresses *down* to go on stage. Lovely guy too. He's been dressing 'vintage' (3os through 50s) for many years now. Recently, he's been spotted wearing this particular fedora a lot. I love it's overall shape and dimensions, but what really fascinates me is that huge ribbon. Never seen anything like it before. Is this just whimsy, or does it have a historical precedent? In a world where the superslim ribbons of the Stratoliner and the Open Road exist, it feels like a logical counterbalance somehow....

Edward

Bartender

Ah! That makes sense, Dave lives in London, and they are exactly the sort of place he would shop.

First thing that came to mind, was the Thomas Farthing too :) Though this one is probably two ribbons sewed together there're vintage examples of very wide ribbons. Most of which I can recall are finished with a backbow though.

Interesting. Makes sense TF might vary that as they do play a little with ideas, not totally a "repro" approach.

I really need to pay them a visit..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner