Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Defining ladies style and fashions your take.

P

Paul

We all have our own individual preference to a style, era and fashions.

I am having one of my odd thinking moment and trying to figure out in my head why we all do not just wear a overall or practical boiler suit,

Instead going to great length we do to wear what we do , it's got to be more than just choosing clothes that define us as individuals or is it that simple, is it about more ?

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
I think it might be that simple...

I originally choose the 50's as my era simply because that's the time when my mother was born and I had all of my grandmothers clothing from then. I had wanted to be vintage before I really knew what that was. I just had another dress up idea in my head and went with it. I was watching alittle too much TCM with my grandmother at the time.

Eventually, when I was 14, my grandmother went to take care of this elderly lady. My mom worked all the time, so I just hung out with my grandmother at this ladies place. It was the biggest mansion I've ever seen except for in the movies. But here her husband had designed all of the downtown harrisburg buildings in the 20's-30's. Her house was even all art deco. She loved all my 50's dresses that I had been wearing at the time. So her and I became instant friends. She showed/taught me everything she could about the 30's-40's(her fav eras) before she wasn't able to walk anymore.

When she past away, she left me everything she still had from the 40's-50's. Since then I've been mainly a 40's gal.-ranging my collections from the 30's to 50's.

So for me, it is that simple. My life brought me here. This is who I am and will always be.

LuckyLady

New in Town
I'm stuck between 40's and 50's. The 50's were so beautiful, but there's something about the WWII-era fashion and lifestyle that sucks me right in.

But I'm a fan of practically every decade of the 1900's. Some days, I'll be all prim and proper in stockings and a nice hat, and others, I'll sport a tank top, bellbottoms and feathered hair.

My friends call me the Time Traveller. :p

Inky

One Too Many
I do think it is as simple as the desire to be an "individual" even when part of a group.

In catholic school I always had to wear something slightly different but still within the rules of the uniform - pointy collar shirts when all the girls wore peter-pan collars; vests instead of cardigans, knee socks instead of short socks, brown/tan saddle shoes instead of black and white, etc. So no matter how much I had to be uniform with my classmates, I always tried to be myself (even when it got me in to a pickle with the nuns, lol).

In my punk rock days - well, that was limitless to how bizarre one could get, even when we all looked alike!

I've dabbled in vintage off and on the last 30 years, and I do gravitate toward late 30's to mid 50's. I don't know why exactly, but I think it is as simple as I just like the silhouette of the clothing.

For me, it makes me feel good about myself when I feel good about my clothing, whatever that may be, and I don't want to see myself coming and going when I am out and about.

SayCici

Practically Family
"why we all do not just wear a overall or practical boiler suit"

Because then we'd all look the same, but really we're all super special snowflakes 'n' stuff. I think you're wrong, I don't think finding a way to express yourself with your clothing or style is easy! Lots of people have trouble with it, lots of people give up.. hence the sweatpants and uggs outfit.

Not everyone is as lucky as the ladies (or gentlemen) here that have found a way to express themselves through their choices of what to wear on a daily basis.

For me, confidence has a lot to do with it. The clothes I wear don't only give an immediate impression to other people about what I like or who I am, but they make me feel a certain way. I know how to dress my body in the most flattering shapes so that I always feel I'm at my best, looking my best.

Besides, a "practical boiler suit" isn't practical/appropriate for everything!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I don't think of it necessarily as expressing myself. I don't really know what to call it. But I really admire the looks and craftsmanship of clothing from the past- be it 18th century or 1930s. And it's fun to play dress up ;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I came to vintage clothing in a round about way. When my husband and I quit historical reenactment, I became dissatisfied with my every day wardrobe. My reenactment clothing gave me an outlet to go back to my childhood days of pretending to be a princess with a big, swishy dress. When I was with paniers or a hoopskirt on the weekends, I didn't care what I wore Monday-Friday because I worked in a salon that required white shirts and black trousers or skirts. Fifties dresses give me that feeling of swirling in my big skirt. I also discovered that 50s sewing patterns fit me with a lot less alterations than modering sewing patterns. However, I just want to look and feel my best. I have a handful of modern sewing patterns that look good and I don't completely rule out modern clothing as long as it suits my figure.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
I like the way i feel when "dressed up" if i have on a well put together outfit and top it all off with a hat nothing can make me feel bad. Its a structure and control thing for me, plus while those girls are out getting guys with painted on jeans down to "here" paired with a tight "screen tee", I'm twirling hither dither in heals and a dress ready to be swept on the dance floor.
(and getting comments from older folks that make me smile)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Some excellent comments here. For me, I think GlamourDoll's comments pretty much sum up my own view -- this is who I am, take it or leave it. I'm not out to impress anyone or make any bold statements other than that, and there you go.

(Although I do wear practical overalls when doing hard chores around the theatre!)

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Interesting questions! From the moment I watched my first classic movie and discovered Marilyn Monroe, I've been fascinated by the styles of the past. I just find them so much glamorous and exciting than what's popular now. I have always been drawn to things that were hyper-feminine and over-the-top -- I guess I'm just wired that way!

December

One of the Regulars
I don't exactly go out of my way to look the way I do.

What I mean by that is, though it takes more time to get ready in the morning/ find clothes that I would like to wear etc, I don't spend a load of time planning my style.

I just wear what I like. I happen to like 40s-60s clothing. People often think that it takes me a lot of effort to do so, but to me it is natural. I wear what looks good on me.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
SayCici said:
For me, confidence has a lot to do with it. The clothes I wear don't only give an immediate impression to other people about what I like or who I am, but they make me feel a certain way. I know how to dress my body in the most flattering shapes so that I always feel I'm at my best, looking my best.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

This is my exact semtiment. I would feel really "naked" if I just went out in jeans and a t-shirt (like I did today due to lack of clean laundry!) It's really simple, I think. Dressing the way I do comes naturally so very little effort goes into it -- I just KNOW what I like! I like 30s to pre-New Look 40s. I think they suit my figure best and I feel most confident and cute in them. "New Look" fashions make me feel overdressed whereas 20s makes me feel like I have on a costume :eek: I love both these decades, but just not on me. Simple!

I still think all us "vintage" people have the same basic "look." And that's fine. That's how we can connect with each other when we see each other on the street! :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
For me vintage was the result not the ideal, if that makes sense. I didn't set out to be into vintage.

Originally I wanted to look: sexy, romantic, naughty sometimes but not trampy, not like I was trying to be trendy because I could not afford to look trendy and I would rather do something else entirely than just fail or be perpetually a season behind. I didn't want to look ragged like I couldn't afford better and I ESPECIALLY did not want "expensive faux-ragged" style as in pre-tattered jeans.

Vintage-eclectic was just the end result of putting that together. It's feminine, its sexy but not naked, and it can be put together slowly on the cheap, without feeling like by the time you got the shoes the shirt is out. It's not on trend but its not like you fell out of bed.

Does that make sense to any other ladies or have I been in the laudanum? lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I spent a lot of time as a teenager trying to figure out how I wanted to look - and therefore how I wanted to fit into the world. That's why I always changed my hair so much. I was a hardcore punk rock chick, a Duffy-esque bombshell, and a scenester clotheshorse. The only consistent was not caring how much I was stared at.

I also nursed a love of classic movies from the time I was a child, and although I tired of the above looks, I never tired of a vintage look. Red lipstick and winged eyeliner instead of smoky makeup and wild colours; a curled, coiffed hairstyle instead of a teased, multicoloured ruckus; tasteful, feminine outfits in place of skulls, metal and leather. Timeless taste, timeless appeal :)

I dress vintage because I truly feel its my niche. It's how I want to present myself to others; how I feel comfortable.

And if someone doesn't like it, its no skin off my nose! :rolleyes:

P

Paul

I must say I was not sure where this subject would go , it's very interesting reading all the replies.
I always get very mixed opinions given with the styles I choose to wear, which confuses me to who to believed or take advice from as they often conflict,
Maybe I should just ignore them.
Saying that I have not really discovered a style that I feel convenient wearing which works and make the most of my figure.

Elaina

One Too Many
For me, a large part of it is dressing to suit my body and tastes. I don't like the androgynous looks, and I don't like clothing that makes me look like a prostitute, nor do I want to look like a man, so I kept up with it.

I am not a purist. I don't care to be since I find that having to dress from one era is very limiting to me, and there are things I flat don't like about different eras. Not to say if I go to a club, where vintage of a specific era/type of people expect it, I can do it, I personally choose not to do it most of the time. I also don't like wearing used clothing, and would as soon make my own as buy it in colors and textiles I like and want to wear. If I like a shirt from the 1880s, I'm as likely to pair it with a skirt from the 60s as I am a more modern pair of pants or something from the 30s.

I studied different design elements to garments and wear a lot of things that make up a whole style that looks good on me (collars, sleeves, silhouette, etc.) and then go and find/design my own pieces based on those. If it happens that a shirt from the 30s fits that ideal, I make the shirt, sometimes I take different things from different patterns and do it that way. I choose to work with vintage and retro styling because fit and quality of the finished garment is better.

It's not that I don't like certain looks, because it's not true. I'm more of a 50s-early 60s gal, and always have been. Most of the retro/vintage styling I do is from this time frame, because the style of the 30s and 40s do not suit my body type.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Paul said:
Saying that I have not really discovered a style that I feel convenient wearing which works and make the most of my figure.

:eek:fftopic: I'm not sure how convenient late 20's-early 30's is for you, but from the looks of your avatar, you pull it off superbly. :eusa_clap

P

Paul

C-dot said:
:eek:fftopic: I'm not sure how convenient late 20's-early 30's is for you, but from the looks of your avatar, you pull it off superbly. :eusa_clap

:eek:fftopic: Thank you very much, I am just a collector of vintage fashions so what ever era I try convenience is not a issue as I do not have to wear it full time.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic: Wow. I love mondays when i roll into work and find great threads like this one.

My new love of dressing from everything from 40's to 60's started as far back as i can remember.
When i was in the 9th grade, i watched Grease over and over just thinking to my young self, why can't i wear that everyday? My main love is for anything 50's. I love the feminine shapes of everything. I prefer to look like a lady when i go out. I find all too often that girls my age (23!) tend to look a little...loose if you will. I think that ridiculously short skirts and shirts cut down to there are just not for me. I prefer the look (and sound) of a full circle skirt with crinoline. I love feeling pretty and feminine.

I overheard a lady the other day at a local store telling her friend that she is just a plain t-shirt and jeans kinda girl, and i used to be, but i find that i feel better about myself when i'm dressed up in my 50's garb. I think i look great.

But i still love jeans and a t-shirt when mucking about the house...however, i am currently working on a nice housedress for chore day. Nothing says 50's like a full apron and a housedress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80