Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desperate advice on re-bashing a re-bashed hat.

Hefwriter

New in Town
I'm new here and new to the world of bashing hats. I purchased a great Dobbs Dutton (not sure about the name) gray snap brim on eBay. Liked it, but didn't care for the bash (center-dent with small side-dents) and went for a modified "Indy bash" ala Raiders--tight pinched front crease and side dents. Now, I'm not sure if I like it. Any advice on re-bashing such a radical change? I'll try and get pics up soon. It looks good, but not quite what I wanted; too severe.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Not sure if this helps, but I've found it harder to take out sharp creases, as in a tight front pinch of a "Raiders" style or a sharp telescope invert, than it is to even out and reshape more gradual curves. In my limited experience.

One thing that has worked pretty well is to steam it moderately - not enough to risk shrinkage but more than I'd do for regular re-shaping - and then use some small rounded object without sharp corners, like a plastic pill bottle or small glass bottle with round edges, to press and flatten out the sharp creases. Just using your fingers and thumbs and the pressing thingy. Then allow it to cool and dry out, and later re-do the hat creases to your liking.

It may also depend on the quality of the felt, as I suspect better felts will respond well to something like this while cheaper ones might be stubborn.

Best of luck, and I hope you get more advice!

- Bill

swisslet

New in Town
you could just try steaming it gently all over and taking it all the way back to an open crown and starting again. It probably depends on the quality of the felt, as woodfluter says, but you should be able to go right back to the beginning by working out all of the dents and creases.
Good luck though. I've been very nervous when working on my (originally open-crowned) Akubra Fed IV, but it's generally been really easy. Take your time. You don't have to do it all at once.

ST

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't Tweak...

This material really is as tough as nails. Go to Lee Keplers' website & watch as he mangles a beaver brand & compresses it like a snowball, it looks great in the end.

Fire up the tea kettle and get yourself a tupperware or mixing bowl or something that will allow you to give shape to the felt from inside as you work it w/ yr. hands from the outside & go to town.

It is like when Micalangelo was asked how he sculpted & was said to have replied, " I simply chip away whatever doesn't resemble my subject."

Stoney

Practically Family
If the crease is very tight ,like the Raiders or Bogart style pinch you described, you will most likely have to soak the pinch with cold water to remove it completely. As Rick said, work the felt against something round that is inside, like a coffee cup or soup bowl, using your fingers on the outside to remove the tight crease. Then rework the crease as desired and allow to dry at room temperature. Don't use a blow dryer on a hat to dry it. The excess heat will shrink the felt.

rmrdaddy,

http://www.adventure-supply.com/fedora.htm

Here is the link to Lee Keppler's site, that Rick mentioned. The video link of roughing up a fedora is at the bottom. This is a good way to soften a stiff fedora, but mind that you not overdo it on the brim or you may loose the snap.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rmrdaddy said:
If it's permitted, can you post a link to Mr. Kepler's website?
I googled to no avail...

adventure-supply.com

I cannot get the wvm. file at page bottom to play for me, but I am on a Mac, so who knows?

EDIT:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8J1eSVwtZ_s&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8J1eSVwtZ_s&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

...not the one I was looking for...but similar

Hefwriter

New in Town
I'm so glad I stepped into the Fedora Lounge. Thanks for all the advice, it sounds like I'm being overly cautious about working the felt or re-bashing it again. I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how and then everyone can sound off on whether or not it can be restored, or should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21