Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detachable collar questions

Joseph Casazza

New in Town
Among the things I inherited from my father-in-law were several collars of various shapes, all white, except for the following (click for a larger display):

Inside the collar it says, "Town Club Collar." So I was wondering whether this collar was intended to be worn on a white shirt, a blue shirt, or a shirt that matched its pattern. Any ideas?

It was intended to be worn with a shirt that matched its pattern and color. No doubt, the shirt and the collar were originally sold together. The name "Town Club" referred either to the shirt brand ... or to the name given to the shape of the collar. (Detachable collars came in many different shapes.)

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
New year prep.

Hi all!

I hope some helpfull FL member could help me out on a washing tip!
For new years eve im wearing my vintage white tie and tails.

Question is: I have a detachable shirt-collar, thats pretty wrinkled/ out of shape. Can i handwash it, dry it and starch it heavily (in rounds letting it dry) and iron it? Is that how its done or is it a no-no?

thx!

rick54

New in Town
Hammelby, you've checked with your local cleaners? I also use the detachable collars and have found that most folks in the dry cleaning business have no clue as to the cleaning and starching of these types of collars. Now if you approach them from a different angle, which is to put the question of cleaning clergy collars,i.e. catholic priests, you might fair better. I found that this approach seems to turn the little light bulb on sooner than trying to explain the 1920's detachable collar program. Give it a shot. If you're still interested in doing it yourself, there are different starches. Such as rice starch, corn starch,etc. which will give a different final result. A google search on shirt starch will probably get you the information on the stiffest starch to use.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
IIRC, there's a cleaners in London that offers mail service but I don't think that you'll have enough time.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Hola gents!

Thank you so much for the tips, but due to x-mas holiday in sweden i
couldn't check your replies till yesterday. :eek: ups..

Well i sort of improvised (my grandmother and i). And since i had to do stain removing on my hard-breasted shirt, i just dampened it all and steam ironed it, starched it and repeated this process.

I did mostly the same with the collar, wet brush cleaning and starch/iron.
Its ok for now, and the shape is back.
It is not cardboard, but cloth covered. You think its possible to handwash this later on?

Happy new year guys and gals, my your new one be swank and adventurous!

PS: I ironed it according to a members pm-advice and so it worked out fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner