Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dick Tracy!

Imahomer

Practically Family
I just picked this up today.

dicktracy.jpg

tracywatch.jpg

Imahomer

Practically Family
Well, I'm a fan of Dick Tracy. From the comics as a kid, to the movie some years back. All of it is very cool. This was a prop I saw on a prop website and once I saw it I knew I had to pick it up.

No, nothing works on it :( but, it's still a very cool display piece.

I thought the guys here would enjoy seeing it.

Mike

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Homer,
The town I lived in while going to High School & college is home to the annual Dick Tracy Days! The town of Woodstock Illinois was where the Dick Tracy creator Chester Gould lived. His estate is only a mile or two from my folks' place. Most of you have see this town because Woodstock "stood in" for Puxatawny Pennsylvania in the Bill Murray film Groundhog Day. The same town square featured in the film had the old McHenry County corthouse that now houses the Dick Tracy Museum.
http://www.thom.org/gallery/museums/WIWStracy/
Cool prop BTW!
PBG

GCR

New in Town
Originally posted by Ken
So when is someone going to get a yellow fedora?

Ken

Good question. I've been a Dick Tracy fan since I saw the film with Warren Beatty, but after seeing it I went out and purchased a large book that had the entire run of the Chester Gould comic strip, along with a few of the old Dick Tracy serials on VHS. All of which expanded my liking of the character. I also bought an "official", yellow, Dick Tracy Fedora. Unfortunately, like other "official" hats we all know, this DT hat was made of 100% wool-felt and had a synthetic sweatband and no liner. I also believe it was made by Dorfaman Pacific. (Surprise, surprise). It would be cool to have a real hat that was a good replica of the Tracy Hat from the film, but does anybody know if the likes of Optimo or Peters Bros. has a color that is even close?

-GCR

Ken

A-List Customer
Another look I always liked was the Joker from Batman - ok, ok not the face paint and everything but the purple fedora and overcoat I thought looked quite stylish.

If hats can be made in these colors I am sure that, if you are willing to part with the cash, you could get them in whatever style you want.

Ken

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Talk to Jimmy at Peters Brothers. I believe they once made a yellow Dick Tracy fedora. I have also seen some purple-ish felt bodies in there before, and if they don't have it they can probably order it.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I agree with Ken, if you've got the cash you can pretty much get anything.

I just can't imagine myself wearing a yellow fedora to many places though. It would wind up as more of a display piece, or I'd wear it if I was trying to dress up like Dick Tracy for some event.

Minnesota_Jones

Familiar Face
I've got a book at home on the making of the movie Dick Tracy with Warren Beatty. The fedoras in the movie (Not just the yellow one...) were all......

Stetsons.

Ugh! Sad but true. The yellow trench was Burberry's if I recall correctly.

GCR

New in Town
I used to have the same book! I might still have it too, but I can't find it for the life of me. I remember the section devoted to costumes but couldn't recall the info about the fedora. Thanks for that, Minnesota!

Stetsons...why'd it have to be Stetsons?

-GCR

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I KNOW I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but I have made both the Dick tracy hat AND the yellow Zoot in "The Mask" out of older westerns ( yup, Stetsons). I actually think I still have one in the attic. If there is any real interest I'll brave the boxes & try to find it. Any interest?

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Ken said:
So when is someone going to get a yellow fedora?

Ken

I know this thread is OLD, but I had to reply

I HAVE a YELLOW fedora. It is at my mothers hose for storage so I will take pics next trip out.

Imahomer said:
I agree with Ken, if you've got the cash you can pretty much get anything.

I just can't imagine myself wearing a yellow fedora to many places though. It would wind up as more of a display piece, or I'd wear it if I was trying to dress up like Dick Tracy for some event.

I got mine when I was young when the movie came out I wanted to be Tracy for Halloween. so I saved up and got the hat and made the costume.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
ok, as promised.

101-IMGA0252.jpg

It's got a few spots on it from being on the top shelf in the closet for all these years. It's costume quality so it's just the "paper/cardboard".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy