Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did i miss out on something?

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Hi there, new to the site...However, I'm loving what I'm seeing here and so I couldn't resist making my own account! The whole vintage scene intrigues me....However, as of now I don't have the knowledge it takes to date suits and thus have no idea exactly how vintage these "vintage" suits im seeing on ebay are...

For example, would anyone be willing to look at this auction that just ended and see if they could shed some light as to the era this suit came from?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260051385241

I really liked the suit, however I didn't win the auction...

Aside from that, I'd like to say hello all and also I could post up some pics of several suits/jackets/slacks that I've recently amassed if anyone is willing to take a look at them for me...

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Well, the description reads: "Man made fiber"- so I'd guess its polyester- maybe circa 1970? Lapels are pretty wide, too, a la the '70's. Thee was a big trend in that era to mimic vintage '30's designs, largely due to the influence of films like Bonney and Clyde and The Great Gatsby.
If you were outbid, I don't think its any great loss.

Grace

Vendor
The Dry Clean Only tag would date the suit to post '72 I believe (not to say that 'dry clean' tags weren't used before then) but based on the styling, etc. I'd say it is from the 70s.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
1970s nylon fiber suit. Proof that the '70s tried to copy the '30s
...and perhaps inevitably, failed, because they tried to "improve" on the earlier era. Flared lo-rise business suit pants, tie knots the size of a baby's head, contrasting welt stitching with the look of a handicraft project on fabrics so man-made they squeaked when you walked...You can friggn have the '70s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80