Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dieting practices of women in the 1950s & '40s?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Oh I get the pretty face, but ya-know comment...I try to remember people think they are being nice. Oh and I get the- you're just too short for your weight- nice one.

Shirin, I took this seminar once and one of things they said stuck with me. When you give a compliment, make sure you address the person, not just the outfit. So for instance- You are just lovely, rather than-Your dress is just lovely.

Also, I have a 30s magazine about Fitness I'll check out. If there is some good info, I'll scan :)

Here's the cover:
LotImg65521.jpg

ricki

Familiar Face
Here are a couple of images from "A New Figure in 30 Days with Calorie Counter, Diets, and Exercises." It's a Dell Purse Book from 1959. (Larger images here.)

Diet001.jpg

Excerpt: "One of the first installations the Army set up after defeating the Germans was the Snack Bar. Its appearance all through the occupied countries was an outright government admission that Americans must eat constantly."

Diet002.jpg

Excerpt: "One problem in staying on a diet is that the non-fattening food frequently resembles something left over in the dog's dish." True even today!

There's a 30 day diet, 1200 and 1800 calorie versions. Here's a sample of the 1200 calorie:

"6th Day Lunch: 1 liverwurst sandwhich on rye bread, 1 glass skim milk.
Dinner: 2 small lean lamb chops, 1 medium baked potato, 1/2 tomato sliced, 1/2 cup kale, 1 teaspoon margarine, 1 ounce Camembert cheese, 2 saltines, 1 glass skim milk."

Apparently, they had already discovered the milk diet in 1959 (skim milk is in almost every meal.) Except for the occasional liver, a lot of the meals seem like something you'd find in a calorie counting today.

I also put up the exercises on my blog - "Do a little exercising while you file."

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
GlamourDoll said:
I agree with Kamikat. But at the same time the counting calories thing doesn't work. I tried it and I just gained weight. So more recently I started this diet of just cutting out all surgar, salt, and bread...drinking almost a gallon of watter a day...and eatting foods that were high in protein.

It's seems to be working cuz I already lost about 10lbs. But I'm also very active considering I work in a fast paced doctors office. So yes, If you consume less calories than you burn, you lose weight.

I agree with you on this. Much evidence suggests it is not strictly calories in, calories out. Our bodies proccess calories in different ways at different times, etc. What you are doing seems a lot like with I have done for three weeks. It involves glycemic index, carbs etc. Basically, it is called slow carb, and there is not much to keep track of. I eat meat, fish, tofu, and lots of vegetables, raws almonds, and beans. I eat when I am hungry, often throughout the day. I eat no simple carbs, no bread, no flour, no wheat, no sugar, no fruit, no dairy, etc. Except for one day a week when you eat whatever you want. The idea is to not only keep you from feeling too deprived, but to also spike your insulin levels, etc so your body does not get used to it. Has been working for me to the tune of five pounds so far, and seems to work for a lot of other people too. Plus it is not starving yourself and extremely healthy and cheap and convenient too. I prepare two days worth of mixed steamed vegetables, cook beans in the slow cooker or buy canned, and prepare meat once a day in the morning or evening. Kind of boring, but I can handle it for a couple of months. Plus, I love my cheat days.

Aorta

Familiar Face
texasgirl said:
Oh I get the pretty face, but ya-know comment...I try to remember people think they are being nice. Oh and I get the- you're just too short for your weight- nice one.

Shirin, I took this seminar once and one of things they said stuck with me. When you give a compliment, make sure you address the person, not just the outfit. So for instance- You are just lovely, rather than-Your dress is just lovely.

Yes, I also know the those comments with a "but" in it. And I'm a size 12 or 14 (with a height of 5.0 ft).

Adressing the person is a very good point!

kamikat said:
While I don't think all-natural/organic, ect is the magic bullet for weightloss, I do believe it's the magic bullet for health.

I agree with you. I've been a vegetarian for about five years now (with lots of wholefoods) and I've never felt better, although I don't have an ideal size.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Aorta said:
I agree with you. I've been a vegetarian for about five years now (with lots of wholefoods) and I've never felt better, although I don't have an ideal size.
People tend to be surprised when they find out I'm vegan and say things like "I thought being vegan made you too skinny". My reply is always the same, "pie maybe be vegan and organic, but it's still pie".

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
I'm so glad this post is up! I've been struggling with my weight and shape for a while now. I'm 5'11 and 150 lbs.. in books I hear thats average but I am just not pleased with my waist. I'm not sure if I should buy a corselette or not.. I just don't think they would work.. I have a few girdles but they are so bumpy! Do any of you guys know of nice smooth everyday shape wear? [huh]

Anyway!
My grandma said smoking kept her real thin along with swimming and horseback riding.. Maybe all those could work.. I know swimming is really good for you just its so harsh on your hair... and forget styling your hair if it's long! :eusa_doh:

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Jezebel_Amazon said:
I'm so glad this post is up! I've been struggling with my weight and shape for a while now. I'm 5'11 and 150 lbs.. in books I hear thats average but I am just not pleased with my waist. I'm not sure if I should buy a corselette or not.. I just don't think they would work.. I have a few girdles but they are so bumpy! Do any of you guys know of nice smooth everyday shape wear? [huh]

Anyway!
My grandma said smoking kept her real thin along with swimming and horseback riding.. Maybe all those could work.. I know swimming is really good for you just its so harsh on your hair... and forget styling your hair if it's long! :eusa_doh:

There is a whole thread on undergarments in the powder room that you should check out....all kinds of good stuff there. I have a rago corset that takes a couple inches off my waist, which accentuates my hourglass shape. :) If you are more ruler shaped, it would give the illusion of a curvy shape if that's what's bugging you.

And actually, according to many doctors, 150 is underweight for your height! :) (Not that I always listen to them!) But I am about that weight and 5 inches shorter than you, slender and in good health. But we all have our hangups, so I totally get where you are coming from. But take heart---my tall gal pals (i have 3 of them) who are 5'11" weigh more than you do, and they are hot mamacitas. :)

Smoking does help keep the pounds away...I am finally losing the weight I gained when I quit last year. But smoking also gives you cancer. :) So i vote for lean meats, lotsa fruit and veggies, and long walks on those Florida beaches, Jezebel. :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
Master Cleanse

The Master Cleanse, also known as the Lemon Cleanse and the Maple Syrup Diet, is a dieting program created by Stanley Burroughs in 1941 and made popular by Peter Glickman through his book Lose Weight, Have More Energy and Be Happier in 10 Days, which promotes Burroughs' regimen to a modern audience. [1] Burroughs states that it is a detoxification program that aids in the removal of harmful toxins from within the body, as well as a reducing diet for loss of weight,[2] and a cure for ulcers[2] and "every kind of disease,"[2] resulting in "the correction of all disorders."[2] [3]
Wikipedia version

I have tried this before not necessarily as a weight loss program but as a detox to try and adjust some internal things. It was different. Curious if anyone else has tried this. I didn't realize it had such a long history.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
kamikat said:
I used to be very jealous of naturally slim women until I went shopping with a new girlfriend, about 3 years ago. She had just as much trouble finding fashionable clothes to fit as I did. She could find casual clothes in the juniors and girls' departments,

My 16 year old actually has this problem, because she is so slender and short, yet has junk in her trunk, lol. She has a great metabolism now, and very active, and much skinnier then I ever was at her age, but I've let her know she needs to watch how she eats (by example too) and tell her to just look at her family, we are in general a larger bunch. I have a larger frame (which is why I have always though I was fat, even when looking back at pics when I was younger I was no where near fat) and my blondzilla 10 year old, who is a mere 3 inches shorter than the 16 year old, is no where being over weight, but she looks a bit bigger because she has a larger frame too.

Got off track, the 16 year old is a 32/26/36 with a high waist, so its hard for her to find pants that fit right in the adult section, that arent miles long. She'll sometimes find some in the kids "plus" sizes.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:
Wikipedia version

I have tried this before not necessarily as a weight loss program but as a detox to try and adjust some internal things. It was different. Curious if anyone else has tried this. I didn't realize it had such a long history.

I have done it twice, if it is where you drink only fruit juice, and a mix of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne. Felt great, but after ten days, you need to start eating again. Not sure if i would recommend it for weight loss. I did it a a fast and cleanse. Loved it. After a couple of days you do not get hungry or crave food anymore.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
olive bleu said:
just came accross this today quite by accident.....:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-191200/How-1950s-women-stayed-slim.html

and it's actually todays paper..what a coincidink.

Great article!

And Pretty Faythe---shopping for clothes is just the worst. I was about your daughter's size in the mid 80's (a little more busty) and was able to find stuff in the juniors section. I wore a size 7. (was I really ever that tiny????) lol
But I think the clothing construction back then was for a more curvy shape. Now, it seems like they are making more and more clothing for gals who are ruler shaped. I sure wish they would do both, as it makes shopping a nightmare.
Does your daughter sew? This is one of the big reasons I picked it up again.

And about that master cleanse---be careful. It can really throw off your metabolism. I've had friends who did it, lost a ton of weight, and then gained it all back and then some, as it ate away at their muscle mass.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Master Cleanse

It is definitely something to be done with caution. I only mentioned it as something that started in the 40s-50s as a diet method. I am using it for entirely different purposes (IBS) and to for lack of a better word spiritually get in tune with my body's needs. I have never made it the 10 full days, nor without adding veg. soup or fruit juices. There are numerous articles out there about it effects on metabolism, both pros and cons. I have plenty of fat before it ever reaches a point of burning up my muscle mass. :eek: I think one also has to be careful to continue slow/moderate exercise while on the cleanse to keep the metabolism active. I am not a doctor, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it is just my experience. ;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:
It is definitely something to be done with caution. I only mentioned it as something that started in the 40s-50s as a diet method. I am using it for entirely different purposes (IBS) and to for lack of a better word spiritually get in tune with my body's needs.
If you are trying to control your IBS symptoms by diet and get off meds, I highly recommend "Eating for IBS" by Heather Van Vorous. Her website gives the basics of her diet, as well as a message board with help, recipe exchange, ect http://www.helpforibs.com/ She also wrote "IBS: the First Year". My G.I. approves of her diet and also says that studies have recently confirmed the effectiveness of some of the herbs she recommends.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:
It is definitely something to be done with caution. I only mentioned it as something that started in the 40s-50s as a diet method. I am using it for entirely different purposes (IBS) and to for lack of a better word spiritually get in tune with my body's needs. I have never made it the 10 full days, nor without adding veg. soup or fruit juices. There are numerous articles out there about it effects on metabolism, both pros and cons. I have plenty of fat before it ever reaches a point of burning up my muscle mass. :eek: I think one also has to be careful to continue slow/moderate exercise while on the cleanse to keep the metabolism active. I am not a doctor, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it is just my experience. ;)

I have done it while drinking a lot of fruit juices, so my caloric intake was quite high. I don't think I even lost much or any weight. Wasn't keeping track. the reason i don't recommend fasting for weight loss is the above. It can make your metabolism slow down and then you gain weight all the worse if you go back to eating a lot. Interestingly, studies on mice and observing people suggest that the key to longevity may be eating very little.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
I have done it while drinking a lot of fruit juices, so my caloric intake was quite high. I don't think I even lost much or any weight. Wasn't keeping track. the reason i don't recommend fasting for weight loss is the above. It can make your metabolism slow down and then you gain weight all the worse if you go back to eating a lot. Interestingly, studies on mice and observing people suggest that the key to longevity may be eating very little.

Exactly, cuz it doesn't use up the fat first---your body can only process a 2-3 pound loss of fat in a week...anything more than that is muscle or water. Does the test say whether or not their cheese intake affects a mouse's longevity? :) I like me some cheese.

P.S. Evidently, whilst under Dr. Bieler's influence, Gloria Swanson only ate zucchini, green beans, leeks and brown bread to stay radiant.

laurakitty

Familiar Face
The Shirt said:

I did the Master Cleanse last year, Spring 2008, for 15 of the longest days of my life. I lost 16 lbs and kept it off for over a year, but have gained all of it back in the last month and a half, so I have really no idea what is going on. If in slowed my metabolism, wouldn't I have gained it back immediately? I have no idea why I've suddenly gained it back, but since none of my clothes fit it has given me the incentive to restart my Muy Thai training after 3 years away. My boyfriend wants to do it again starting next Monday, but I'm unsure if it is a good idea- the last thing I want to do is slow my metabolism.

I'm finding this whole thread immensely interesting. I'm a Celiac with lots of allergies as well, so its always intriguing to read other people with similar issue's diets. I've tried being both vegan and raw for awhile, but I always gain weight and find that my digestive problems get worse. I seem to work well on a very high fish diet with lots of greens. The article from Queens of Vintage was very interesting- I would be interested in trying the ration diet, except it seems rather difficult to adapt to my allergies.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
laurakitty said:
I'm finding this whole thread immensely interesting. I'm a Celiac with lots of allergies as well, so its always intriguing to read other people with similar issue's diets. I've tried being both vegan and raw for awhile, but I always gain weight and find that my digestive problems get worse. I seem to work well on a very high fish diet with lots of greens. The article from Queens of Vintage was very interesting- I would be interested in trying the ration diet, except it seems rather difficult to adapt to my allergies.
What I discovered, after several years of baking and feeding my celiac son, is that gluten-free baked goods are usually higher in fat and calories than their gluten-filled counterpart because they use things like eggs and milk to replace the protein. You're probably already aware of that, but once I started baking everything myself, I was able to cut down a lot of the fat and calories using fat-free soy milk and Ener-G egg replacer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy