Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences between cutlasses and sabers?

Naphtali

Practically Family
During the Napoleonic Wars, and subsequently if information changes, what were the differences between sabers and cutlasses? If anyone knows, why are these differences significant?

dnjan

One Too Many
I believe that mounted troups (cavalry) used sabers, and required a longer weapon for slicing down footsoldiers, etc.
Shipboard troups used cutlasses (which were shorter) in the more confined area of a ship's deck. The (structurally heavier) cutlass would also be more suitable for chopping operations such as cutting rigging and other lines.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Cutlasses were a niche weapon for use at sea. Sabers were more general purpose and found use on horseback and in dueling. If you're looking for a good movie to see sabers in action, check out The Duelists. I want to say Master and Commander had cutlasses in use in at least one scene.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I believe that mounted troups (cavalry) used sabers, and required a longer weapon for slicing down footsoldiers, etc.
Shipboard troups used cutlasses (which were shorter) in the more confined area of a ship's deck. The (structurally heavier) cutlass would also be more suitable for chopping operations such as cutting rigging and other lines.

From what I've read (although I'm no expert on the subject) dnjan has hit the nail on the head with his definition.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab

I really wanted to show off and answer this one, but this is pretty dead on to my knowledge. I think a cutlass is also generally a bit more curved to give more blade to use in the confined space, but that I am not sure of.

I really wanted to show off and answer this one, but this is pretty dead on to my knowledge. I think a cutlass is also generally a bit more curved to give more blade to use in the confined space, but that I am not sure of.

Yep..you're right Yeps.
I collect them and have several of each hanging on the walls of my family room. The cutlass is shorter and slightly curved blade compared to the longer straighter blade of a saber.
HD

Cobden

Practically Family
It does, however, get confusing with Royal Navy Cutlasses, especially later patterns (1880's, I think, onwards), as they were called cutlasses, but weren't.

dnjan

One Too Many
I'm guessing that steam (as opposed to wind) power plus better guns made the hand-to-hand fighting less likely (especially at the officer level).

Form follows function, but when the function changes ...

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Pattern 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre

Pattern 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sabre

British Boarding Cutlass

BUT...
French Naval/Marine Cutlass

And
USMC Officer's Mameluke (sabre)

Which is an adapted form of the Turkish Kilij (a sabre) that became popular in the Napoleonic era.

From what I have seen, depth of curve on a Sabre is generally deeper than depth of curve (if any) on a Cutlass.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A sabre would have a longer, curved profile for the need to bring it sweeping down to put an end to those pesky infantry chaps when you were a cavalry officer on horseback.

A cutlass was, if I recall, shorter, because it was easier to use a smaller sword at sea, when you were boarding an enemy ship during an action.

Naphtali

Practically Family
HodgePodge:

Many thanks for the example graphics. Curvatures and other nuances of configuration appear to be all over the map, some relatively straight, some relatively curved - but without obvious [to me] pattern.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I think that basically a saber was for fighting from horseback, and a cutlass was for fighting in the passageways of someone else's ship. The closet is only so big you know.

Later

Haversack

One Too Many
In both the Royal Navy and the US Navy, the cutlass and boarding pike were not declared obsolete until 1918. The 1904 US Navy Cutlass Drill manual is available online. The cutlass has a short, broad heavy blade, often weighted to the tip not unlike a medieval falchion or modern machete. They were not considered officers' weapons and were often crudely made. They were designed to used in close quarters and also in formation.

As noted above, the military saber is primarily a horseman's weapon. In most of its history, its blade is to light to medium in weight, with a slight to extreme curve. Its cutting edge is on the outside curve. Up until the end of the 19th C., the edge was considered the saber's primary attack mode. (In fact there was a huge debate during this time on whether the edge or point was the most useful. The point won.)

In the 18th and early 19th C. Infantry also occasionally carried a light, curved sword but these were usually called hangers.

Haversack

Effingham

A-List Customer
I'd just like to throw in another recommendation for the film "The Duellists." It's one of the best films ever made.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Fighting with a straight-razor would entail really-really-really close-quarters fighting. Are you sure about this, John?

Not that fighting off an enemy with a straight-razor wouldn't be ass-kicking cool...but...it seems somewhat impractical in a military context. Although on a rocking, rolling ship hundreds of miles from land, I can imagine it would be a waste of space to carry around packs of DE blades for hundreds of men for weeks on end, instead of just having a straight-razor that they can sharpen and strop and shave with (or fight off boarders with) whenever they wanted to.

straight-razor.jpg

"Charrrge!"

Hmmm...

Last edited:
Fighting with a straight-razor would entail really-really-really close-quarters fighting. Are you sure about this, John?

I am only passing a long a little story someone told me I think in the 1970's.
I haven't researched it.
The "I heard" phrase means I am not sure it is the 100% absolute truth. Could be rumor, myth or total BS.

However, fight some guy in a narrow hallway with a straight razor would be a pretty harrowing tale!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou