Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dimensional brims

You see this occasionally with traditional Trachten hats. It can be side to side or front to back. I have a couple examples but I will not post since most on this board do not consider them real hats. ;)

RBH

Bartender
The first paper ad I found was from 1943 in Reno.

43dim.jpg

This news article was from 1956.

56dim.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
See how well that caught on RBH? I read the question as "is it conventional" so I stand that it wasn't, but could be had. :D :D
I guess I should clarify also. TonyB and Brad are correct in the strictest sense of the term ie: basilly ALL brims are dimensional based on the shape of the rounding jack, but in today's context, it signifies "Indy".
I get alot of requests for "authentic '30s hat, you know..dimensional brim" and really, it drives me nuts!! Truth is, the dimensional was anything BUT conventional. If it was, wouldn't it be stupid to try to use it as a sales tool?

Conventional, dimensional...MUST be a song in there somewhere

RBH

Bartender
Art Fawcett said:
I'm sorry if that sounded snitty Rusty, I didn't mean it that way when writing it. Just pointing out that it never took off thus proving my point.
No problem my friend!!!!
I dont know at the times you have answered my questions... even when ask by someone else!

Thanks for all your support and help!! :eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
From a visual perspective, I've always thought that the original dimensional brims were cowboy hats with the brim rolled up on the sides. The visual effect, obviously, is that the brim is shorter on the sides, and longer in the front and back. So, it doesn't seem strange to me at all that someone might take that look for inspiration and craft a brim that achieves the same visual effect on a fedora. Just a thought...:)

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
If you continue to work the cursor in circles it cycles thru the couple wearing 4 or so hats each. Kinda freaky to view with the glossy stares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner