Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disneyland Is Going 1930's

Dagwood

Practically Family
Possible changes coming to Disney's California Adventure:

...Instead of a fake Hollywood backlot themed to being a fake Hollywood, the area will be redone to actually be Hollywood during the Golden Age of the 1930's. It will purposely be an era just slightly later than the 1920's entrance, and will be fleshed out with real stores and experiences behind what are now just false fronts and empty buildings.

MuppetVision, currently on the north side of the street, is scheduled to be replaced with Mickey's Philharmagic, but with a 1930's era pre-show designed specifically for DCA's new mission statement to play up the Walt Disney era. As they rebuild that 3-D theater, it will provide the opportunity to fill in the empty facades with real stores that can be entered instead of just looked at through shallow display windows....

The new exterior of the Hyperion lobby building is planned to be themed to a 1930's Hollywood street, and new stores and visitor amenities will be included as visitors walk along the street south towards the Tower of Terror. And remember, this snazzy 1930's Hollywood land will be buzzing with streetcars and open-topped limousines that will ferry visitors around the area just like the old-fashioned cars and trolleys on Main Street USA.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Maybe Disney will hire people from the Lounge to walk around the place to give it a more "authentic" feel.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This sounds total conspiracy theory on my part, but Disney has a lot of images and content going into PD in the next couple of decades. They seem to be on a kick of 'revitalizing the brand' of yester year. A good example would be their use of the steamboat willie Mickey as their new logo for their animation studios.

Hmmm.....
Still I think its cool.

LD

*alright, I go back in my corner.....

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
Art Deco is comming back in a big way my friends

I think Art Deco is coming back in a big way my friends. Part of the reason for this i feel is that of almost any of the modern styles, art deco has always remained appealing to many people. It's era during the 30's was unnecessarily short lived in my opinion because of the Nazi party and World War Two. Hitler was an art deco person and many Nazi designed were in that style of art and architecture. So, after the war, most things art deco quickly lost immediate favor due to physiological links to the war with Germany.

However, today many people are past those negative connotations from an art style and so are enjoying again the Art Deco style as I see it unhindered with negative physiological baggage.

I think it’s a great thing because I love art deco as well, but I dread the idea of it becoming "fashionable" again. But, life is change and if people want Art Deco again than so be it. I am glad that I am not the only one who enjoys the period of the 1930's and the Art Deco style.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Disney MGM Studios has the same setup already. Their Hollywood and Vine section. Just put a Hollywood Brown Derby in Downtown Disney and I'm happy. :)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Well, there goes that nice 1940's California Zephyr representation and the area patterned after Yeager's X-1 days at Edwards...

I think they are only redoing the Hollywood Studios part and not places like that in the other part of the park.

Sounds great to me! I thought it was pretty cool as it was and this will be only better!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I never go to Disneyland or an other "amusement" park again I won't miss it, except the huge hole on my wallet. The only amusement gained is the chagrin at day's end when you realize how much dough you blew for virtually nothing in the surreal atmosphere of every aspect having been inflated to a bizarre amounts from parking to a small soda and everything in between.:rolleyes:

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Twitch, I agree. I've never liked paying huge amounts of money to stand in lines or to see fake versions of real things. I'd rather take the money I would have spent and use it to see the real things. Also, I think the what the whole Disney brand has become in general turns me off.

Personally, I'd rather go to Itchy and Scratchy Land.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:
If I never go to Disneyland or an other "amusement" park again I won't miss it, except the huge hole on my wallet. The only amusement gained is the chagrin at day's end when you realize how much dough you blew for virtually nothing in the surreal atmosphere of every aspect having been inflated to a bizarre amounts from parking to a small soda and everything in between.:rolleyes:

Well its a darn good thing that 'grouchy old spoilsports' arn't their target market then isn't it? :D

Twitch

I was a kid in 1955 at the Disney opening and have gone more time than I can count. Over the years I saw all the fees grow and the park grow stagnant with so much sameness. Food rose out of all proportion relative to counterparts on the outside. And finally in true Yogi Berra language "It's so popular nobody goes there anymore."

Originally Knott Berry Farm was a whole different concept with the original ghost town buildings and superb restaurant. It was free to get in! The they began charging in the late 1960s so as to keep hippies out. Fast forward to today and the place costs around $30 to get in and it is full of thrill rides with the western ghost town theme totally eclipsed.

And unfortuantely every "theme" park is identical. Thrill rides made to out-do the last one, a glut of people, astounding food and drink prices coupled with parking and entrance fees that keep rising and the basic feeling that one seems pretty much like the next one once you're in there.

Instead of uniqueness they conform with one another to a degree that must somehow make people feel euphorically comfortable as their wallets are surgicly removed. Once you're on a goofy ride or in the food consumption area you could be anywhere in the many clone parks out there.

th_dancingfatkid.gif

"We're going to Wally World!"

Daisy Buchanan

I'm not a big fan of Disney either. But, that's not to say that I didn't love it as a kid, and when I have kids I hope that I can afford to bring them there.
I think this new idea is a cool one, and I would actually probably enjoy seeing it.

I just remember the feeling I had as an 8 year old walking into that place. For a kid it really is magical. The last time I was there I was 19, and I got that feeling again. It's nice to be transported to another world, even if just for a day. I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive!!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Didn't somebody put up a picture recently of a restaurant at Disney World in Fla, where the decor was all elegant 30's and the clientele were all in vacation ware shorts, T shirts, base balls caps and flip flops? Is that how this enterprise is going to wind up?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
The Hollywood Brown Derby was that restaurant but considering it's in Florida (very humid), let alone a theme park, I don't see why it would be a problem. I read a review from someone about their visit to the restaurant and said it was one of the classiest places at Disney MGM Studios.

K

killertomata

I've not been to California Adventure yet, because as a Californian... I find it very silly to open a Cali theme park within the state. And I've not heard anyone say much good about the place. If they really make such changes I will be inclined to go at least once and check it out.

funneman

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Didn't somebody put up a picture recently of a restaurant at Disney World in Fla, where the decor was all elegant 30's and the clientele were all in vacation ware shorts, T shirts, base balls caps and flip flops? Is that how this enterprise is going to wind up?

Ha ha, that's one of the things that has ALWAYS bothered me about WDW.

The tourist ruin all the beautiful theme work!:eusa_clap

Professor

A-List Customer
Hollywood Car

Ever since first learning of the planned changes to the park, I've been excited, but when I saw this I nearly flipped my lid!

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

An authentic downsized version of a Pacific Electric "Hollywood" suburban car. The paint scheme actually dates from 1939 or so, but it looks good. ;)

just_me

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
happyfilmluvguy said:
The Hollywood Brown Derby was that restaurant but considering it's in Florida (very humid), let alone a theme park, I don't see why it would be a problem. I read a review from someone about their visit to the restaurant and said it was one of the classiest places at Disney MGM Studios.
I've eaten at the Brown Derby many times and I love it. Yes, I was wearing shorts when it was hot out and pants (jeans) when it wasn't. I agree with happyfilmluvguy. You can't expect people to be dressed to the nines when they're touring an amusement park, especially when the weather is 90 deg. F and almost 100% humidity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou