Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY Tailoring

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Just a random question since I know a lot of people here are into doing their own stuff, and "learning the art" so to speak..
Has anyone tried to pick up tailoring for themselves or others, as a simple hobby?

I know traditionally it involves years of apprenticeship etc, but I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried going the DIY route.

Is it really even feasible to tailor clothes for one's self?

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Thanks,
I'd be interested *especially* in pant legs, as I'm pretty stumpy and it's very difficult to find proper fitting pants. However I would be interested to go as far as altering shirts for better fit etc.

Feraud said:
Many members have gone the diy route. Some do the basics like taking up trouser and jacket cuffs while others get to the point where they make their own leather jackets. Learning some basic tailoring skill is very feasible and economically smart.
Here is a search with a few threads on the topic.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/search.php?searchid=1868270

Wash In Lux

One of the Regulars
It's much easier than you may think and hemming is a great way to start learning alterations and tailoring. It's how I started and now I can make a pair of pants from scratch. As far as hemming, grab a seam ripper and start taking apart the cuffs and hem. As you take apart the cuff (presuming there is already a cuff), notice how it was done. All the folds and creases will still be there after ripping the tacks and seams so you can see how it was done. After you see how it's done and have done your measurement calculations, it's very important to completely iron out the folds and creases. This way, you're starting fresh. It can be challenging ironing out the folds and creases from vintage trousers, especially gabardine (which you don't ever want to put an iron on directly to the fabric as it will make it shiny). I use a spray bottle with distilled water and saturate the decades old creases, then put a paper towel down on the fabric and iron on the paper towel. Sometimes it takes a while and repeating this to fully get all the creases out.
Have you ever seen someone wearing vintage trousers with a crease line in the middle of their cuff? The hem was altered and someone didn't take the time to fully iron out the old crease. Yeah, you don't want that. Take the time and be diligent.
There of course will be trial and error in all this but, after a bit you'll be able to slap a new hem on in an hour.

Fletch said:
Go slow and watch carefully. For whatever reason, sewing and tailoring instructions tend to leave a lot unexplained.

Yeah, no kiddin'. Sometimes you get lucky and stumble across an online tutorial that actually makes explicit that quite important step that most of the others seem to think didn't bear mentioning. [huh] I mean, if I had the level of knowledge such that those "obvious" parts of the process were just as well left unsaid, I wouldn't have sought the help in the first place.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
A lot of the basic things need not be mystifying. At first I was daunted at the idea of doing anything more than sewing on a button, but now I feel completely confident taking in or letting out the waistband and seat of a pair of trousers, shortening or lengthening cuffed pants, and even doing reweaves! The next thing I want to tackle is learning how to shorten or lengthen jacket sleeves.

Like others have already stated, just take your time, go really slow, and study examples as much as possible. Also, having said that know, when to not attempt something yourself.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
There are lots of resources avaliable to the hobbyist and home tailor. In addition to what's already been mentioned, there are a lot of books that have been published on tailoring, for amatuers as well as professionals. My advice would be to find and consult as many as you can. Something that one author didn't include another might, and one may have a better way of doing something than another.

If you're interested in shirts, I'd recommend David Coffin's "Shirtmaking", it's got a lot of information aimed at the home-sewer for making dress shirts, and includes info for proper fitting, draping, copying existing shirts, and techniques.

Also, there's www.cutterandtailor.com. Most of the members are professional tailors, so there's a lot that can be learned, as well as a section for learners and amatuers.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
A small tip

bbshriver said:
Thanks,
I'd be interested *especially* in pant legs, as I'm pretty stumpy and it's very difficult to find proper fitting pants. However I would be interested to go as far as altering shirts for better fit etc.

If a persons legs are "stumpy" as you stated, the pant leg might have to be tapered along with shortening to keep the proportions and "line" of the garment in tact. Otherwise, just shortening the pant leg, you will end up with it being quite wide at the bottom. and not balanced to the rest of the garment or your shoe size even.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
Yeah, no kiddin'. Sometimes you get lucky and stumble across an online tutorial that actually makes explicit that quite important step that most of the others seem to think didn't bear mentioning. [huh]
There's really no teaching tradition, I don't think. It's a skill traditionally passed on in person, by people who don't know how to teach book learnin'.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
There's really no teaching tradition, I don't think. It's a skill traditionally passed on in person, by people who don't know how to teach book learnin'.

Fletch has it right...there is very little hands-on education available. I fell into my career by going to work for a Master Tailor originally to help him organize his shop, filing, etc. He took me under his wing and I stayed and trained for 4 years. After that I continued to learn, train, work and practice my skills to get me where I am today.

Most trade schools, tech colleges have apparel programs, though most are lengthy programs geared towards commercial alterations. You can check with schools in your area and see what they have to offer, and if it works into your schedule (most are daytime classes). You can also look into basic courses that might be available through fabric stores or sewing machine outlets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR