Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Django Unchained

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Tarentino turns his attention to the Western. The genre may never be the same![/QUOTE

Not surprising, he has been a western fan for a long time & an unconditional admirer of Sergio Leone in particular & spaghetti westerns in general....he also has a love of Ennio Morricone's music.....
He did appear in a spoof Japanese western Sukiyaki Western Django Probably better known in Europe than in the states though......

Shame that diCaprio is in this, I think he's a lousy actor, but any Tarentino movie is worth watching in my opinion.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm in. After "Inglorious Basterds" Mr. T has cred in the bank with me. I'll be there with bells on. Sides Christmas is overated!

Worf

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Kind of a shame that Tarentino nowadays packages his violence in a politically correct envelope. Killing Nazi's or slave owners is kind of the equivalent of those tv shows where the hero gets to shoot robots or aliens but not real people.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Kind of a shame that Tarentino nowadays packages his violence in a politically correct envelope. Killing Nazi's or slave owners is kind of the equivalent of those tv shows where the hero gets to shoot robots or aliens but not real people.

Who should they be shooting? Nun's? Orphans? War vets? Gotta have villains man. We went through the whole "grey" "anti-hero" period with the apex for me being Bonnie and Clyde mebbe the Godfather's. I find it refreshing sometimes to know who's right and who's wrong. It's not a horse oprera from the 30's or 40's. I'm not looking for that kind of simple charactrerization, but I'm willing to let Q.T. take the reins. Particularly with his recent forays into "alternative history" and I.B. was that alternative history. I suspended my knowledge of military history and common sense and went along for the ride and I was ENTERTAINED!

Worf

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
And the original Django makes a cameo here too.
django_jamie_foxx.jpg

I for one am looking forward to it. It'll be better than most of the spoon fed drivel out there.

Cheers!

Dan

Uff Da

New in Town
Django: "Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Sorry, I find this disgusting and offensive.

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
I must say I agree with Uff. If it were reversed, and it was a white man saying this about killing black men, people would be burning down buildings. Though I like Tarantino's films, generally, I think this premise is kind of cheap. It's easy to have people feel ok about a former slave killing white people, so we can safely dehumanize them.

I don't like it. It IS offensive and humorless. His narrow view of white people (all being worth killing) is repugnant.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"It is the right of every slave to rise up and kill his master". Cornilius in one of those "Planet of the Apes" movies.

I'm not exactly sure the context of the quote in the clip as I've not seen the film yet. But I'm no Ghandi, no MLK, I'm not fully evolved. I'm fine with a man fresh off the slave chain saying he enjoys killing the people who have him and his people in bondage. Would you be kicking if it were some Russian Jew circa 1943 saying "I get to kill Nazi's, works for me.". Or a First Nations person or Native American saying, how nice it is to kill white prospectors or cavalrymen? No? Then this is no different than either of those contexts. I'm no bleeding heart. I'm a vet and grown man. I see nothing wrong with hating the people who oppress you AND TELLING THEM! Sometimes the ONLY way to stop people from killing you is to kill them in return. As far as I'm concerned a little more plain language is helpfull.

Worf

Last edited:

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
Worf,

I will say that I still find it distasteful, but you make a damn good argument. Well played, sir.

JB

Lord Brett

New in Town
It's sort of a shame that Tarantino's only frame of reference for many years has been other movies. Having said that, we seem to share very similar tastes in films and he's done a lot to highlight long-forgotten gems. I love European Westerns and hope Django Unchained will result in a few more being reisssued - when Inglorious Barsterds came out my local supermarket stocked Italian war movies for the first (and probably last) time!

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Django Unchained"

Trailers look good, maybe QTarentino has gotten his groove brack with this one?
Lots of good actors and hats at least to be seen. Due out at Christmas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic