Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do heads really shrink?

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Last year my head measured 61.5cm.
After some serious weight loss during last winter and beyond I am now down to 60.0cm.
Even if I were to accept a tolerance of 0.5cm due to haircut or measuring errors, that a lot of a difference.
My caps and berets still fit, the felt hats and Panama no more and I cant add so much padding as to make them have a good fit again:mad:
This aint nice!:rolleyes:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I was shocked when a dentist told me that teeth are constantly shifting in their position, so its no stretch to think that bones reshape and resize, and if it's not true, it sounds like a great sci fi plot.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Head sizes must change with weight loss. When I was in high school, I weighed close to fifty pounds more than I do today. At that time, I was wearing a 7 3/8 size hat. The hat was a little loose, so I was probably more around 7 1/4. These days, Art says my true head size is a 7, and I have been able to wear some 7 1/8 hats without issues, and some larger 6 7/8 hats. My hair is also a lot shorter than I used to have it, but I really think my weight loss did something.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, weight loss can do that, no problem. Heck, if I have a lot of sinus congestion it can effect my hat fit! On the up side, if your youngish, your head could still be growning, and you might fill out those hats again in a few years. [huh]

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Not-Bogart13 said:
Yeah, weight loss can do that, no problem. Heck, if I have a lot of sinus congestion it can effect my hat fit! On the up side, if your youngish, your head could still be growning, and you might fill out those hats again in a few years. [huh]

I'm sure that's a possibility, but I would be very surprised if that happens to me. I still have the first fedora I ever bought (a cheapie wool "Indiana Jones mockery" from ebay), and it sinks around my ears now! lol

One Too Many
Yes, it is true

Kreissaege said:
Last year my head measured 61.5cm.
After some serious weight loss during last winter and beyond I am now down to 60.0cm.
Even if I were to accept a tolerance of 0.5cm due to haircut or measuring errors, that a lot of a difference.
My caps and berets still fit, the felt hats and Panama no more and I cant add so much padding as to make them have a good fit again:mad:
This aint nice!:rolleyes:
Last april, I had a bad situation in health and lose weight about 24 pounds, my hats 60 with hair keep better now, but the cranium is same ¡¡¡¡¡
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Yes, a reduction in hat size and headsize is common with weightloss.

If you have heavily invested in hats it can definitely suck.

I was solidly between a 58cm and 59cm when I weighed 299 lbs., but now that I am down to the 171 region (and still losing) I am dead on 58cm.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fat Head

I kind of thought it was related to if you were a Democrat, Republican, or Independent!

HA!

No, my hat size seems to have changed with age.

If you gain weight, shave your head (c'mon, you are removing filler), or if you drop a few pounds, that all makes a difference.

I used to wear, or think, I was a 7 1/4! I am a true 7 3/8!!

How did that happen? Experience! Those hats from college don't fit now, and I have "grown" with "experience". Hence....I am a fat head now.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the input, guys!
Its a rainy and cold day-off here in germany, so have plenty of time to do some evilbay today:(
Anyone out there who needs a Banjo Patterson, heritage fawn, or a Camp Draft, Glen Grey;)
BTW, back in 1992 I bought three classic Barbour hats, Sherlock-Holmes-style, in wool and cotton. They fitted perfectly in a size 58. Fifteen years later, I had to wear them like a Kippa, for my head had grown so much.
Now I am back down again.:mad:

My auctions will start on thursday and then I will list the links, once I read up the rules concerning this.
The only good thing to come out of this is that I do have a wider choice of hats with this new size. I can even buy used ones!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
*sigh* It works the other way, too. :( I have a large number of very nice hats in 7 1/4 that I cannot currently wear as they were purchased while I was gaining weight. :eusa_doh: I now wear a 7 3/8, and that can be tight at times.

At my current weight I no longer dress as nicely as I used to for work in part because I cannot comfortably fit my nicer clothes, but also because I'm doing a lot more computer installations and moves that require getting down under desks and such. As a result of both of these influences (larger head, wearing more casual clothes) I find that I've rarely worn a hat that wasn't one of two thin-ribbons in the past year or so.

On the plus side, should I lose weight it will be like getting a whole bunch of "new" hats again as I tranistion back down to the smaller sizes! lol

Cheers,
Tom

PS I did have a thread titled "Fathead?" that asked the reverse of this question when I realized what was happening!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner